Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrina_armer

Acceptable amount of caulk under door frame

Sabrina Armer
5 years ago

What is the acceptable margin of error for a door frame?

Currently one of the doors has 5/8" of caulking underneath.

Comments (15)

• Sabrina Armer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Haha! Yes, I am very aware, I just wanted to confirm that it was less than 1/8". Thank you!!

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

unbelievable

• laurafhallen
    5 years ago

Sorry!!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

New Construction? Remodel? I mean the caulk job is pretty terrible but context helps.

• Sabrina Armer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This caulk is the least of my worries. This is a remodel from hell.

Context of other botched jobs:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5558355/switching-from-load-bearing-wall-to-beam

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5565079/crooked-backsplash

Contractor is now requesting payment before he remedies any of his other work:

• for plumbing work that was done (but has to be redone because the master bath is getting torn out and redone)
    • for backsplash tile work (which also has to be fixed now that the kitchen was remeasured and new cabinets need to be rehung).

Will start a new thread for that situation ^^

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

1/8" gap is too sloppy. No gap is appropriate. Is that a reinstalled piece of molding that was temporarily removed while changes were made? If it is, it should have been replaced with a new piece of proper length; is it is a new piece, it was cut wrong. Whichever it is, it's the work of someone who is unprofessional and is happy to do hack work if he can get away with it.

• Sabrina Armer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The door, door frame, and base molding are all new.

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

Okay...that's just wrong. It was misscut, and they should not have installed that piece. Sometimes a trim installer will leave a small gap intentionally at the bottom of the jamb if wall-to-wall carpeting is going to be installed. But I doubt that is what you are doing.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    Good grief. Stevie Wonder could have done a better job. This guy has a license???
  • iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    Sorry you have to deal with this. Renovations are stressful enough with a good contractor, I cannot imagine having to deal with the stress of such poor work on top of it. I hope you’re able to get a satisfactory resolution.
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've re read all of your posts, I'm sorry you are going through this, you certainly found a doozy of a 'contractor'

Obviously the door casing is too short and you are missing shoe moulding (it is like quarter round but with a narrower profile)

• missenigma
    5 years ago

I am so sorry that you're facing these issues. That's nothing short of a hack job. Aside from the unacceptable gap in the door trim, I have never seen anyone caulk the gap between the baseboard and the flooring. That gap is always covered with quarter round (also called shoe molding). Like this:

I just had new hardwood flooring installed in my kitchen and I'm in the process of installing the trim myself. There should be no need for any caulk if that door casing is newly installed. It should be tight like this casing I just installed:

It's clear that this guy has no interest in doing a good job.

• amanda99999
    5 years ago

Did the contractor remove a wider saddle/threshold (the marble that is there now - did there used to be one that stuck farther out into the room)? Or, was there a tile floor previously? I ask because many of my 1920s home's door casings look like yours: because they were cut over the decades for shag carpet or thick ugly tile to be installed. (I then removed all, refinished the original hardwood floors - and have gaps like yours. We are having plinth blocks installed to remedy the situation.)

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Ahhh Sabrina, this guy just gets worse and worse. So sorry. That casing needs to be replaced.