Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta J 2018 .....

Show me some Js today on the lazy Sunday.

Comments (68)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

I think I’m gonna need to find a JuneFever and pop her in the shade. Those leaves are amazing!

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    5 years ago

Jurrasic Park -new in 2018 .Excited to see what it will look like in the coming season.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I salivate over these beautiful Junes. I’ve got a few, but I think I need to move them. They’re puny Junes.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

littlebug..I bet they improve..mine were puny when I planted them..a snow Joke..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

We had 12" of snow this weekend and it broke the top of my well-established Bloodgood Japanese Maple. I haven't been out to see it yet, but my DH was out trying to shake snow off some of the tree limbs in the yard and told me about it. It was probably 12' tall, now it is apparently chest-height. Bummer. I had planned to do some pruning in February on a number of the trees in the yard. Hopefully there will be an opportunity then (if the weather cooperates) and maybe I can prune it in such a way that it will develop a new leader? Anybody have experience with that?

Anyway, with all this snow, at least the hostas are happy!

I have more J's but didn't get pictures last summer... so just a couple:

June:

Journey's End mid-May:

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

Saija, some of the leaves on your Jessica Alba look like they have a white edge, is that sun-bleached, or could you have a new, super-hot hosta, in your possession? That would be AMAZING!

Here's a shaded June in mid-August.

5 years ago

windymess..oh no..Japanese maples are special..I hate it when they're damaged..I prune mine as little as possible..only broken or dead branches..I've never tried to create a new leader..to me a Japanese maple with an imperfect shape is still beautiful..not always true on other trees..I hope it's not as bad as you think it might be..

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    5 years ago

Jade Cascade on 5th June.

And on 3rd July. She is getting planted this year before she bursts the pot!

June, in July not long after being planted.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Denis your Jade Cascade is a fabulous beast!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    5 years ago

Thanks Peren, yep she is huge for being in a pot, grew pretty fast too, I got her in July 15 when she looked as below, was a good start and didn't look back!

• mbug_gw
    5 years ago

Once again, enjoying checking out everyone's beautiful hosta pics.

Janet

Jaws

Jewel of the Nile

Joy Ride

June Spirit booming

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mbug, I really like the form of your Jaws

• hostas_for_barb
    5 years ago

Sunnywood & ConnieMay - love both of your Jewel of the Nile - I like the different leaves.

Just two Js for me

June

June Fever

• mbug_gw
    5 years ago

I'm another one who keeps buying Junes. They all seem to grow beautifully under all conditions.

I have 4 well established Junes and two more waiting for spots.

Just Junes

June #1.....first one purchased ....old timer!

June #2.....this one gets heavy sun

June #3....with June Spirit upper right

June #4.....gets the most shade and bird droppings!!

5 years ago

mbug..you have an interesting Jewel of the Nile too!..sunnywood's caught my attention..just now I took a better look at ConnieMay's..I didn't know that Jewel of the Nile has such a unique look..

oursteelers..I think? the Saints are going to win!..a fun and competitive game..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

Denis - your JC is of epic proportions! Beautiful!

I’m so glad to see these Jewel of the Niles... I got one last year... still in a pot in the garage. Hope it will be as pretty and interesting as all of yours’ some day - and I’ll plant it somewhere that I can easily get to it for removing sports!

I also got Janet last year... mbug, that’s so pretty.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    5 years ago

Your Jessica Alba really is attractive, Karin and Saija!

I love June too! I have six of them. I love how you grouped them Nicholsworth.

Impressive June Fever Barb! A wonderful Jade Cascade mountainyman!

Only three J's for me.

Joy Ride #1

Joyride #2

June

June Fever

in June

and then in August

Not sure why the leaves became almost folded. I will have to wait and see what happens this year.

5 years ago

Your Jessica Alba really is attractive, Karin and Saija!

I love June too! I have six of them. I love how you grouped them Nicholsworth.

Impressive June Fever Barb! A wonderful Jade Cascade mountainyman!

Only three J's for me.

Joy Ride #1

Joy Ride #2

June

June Fever

in June

and then in August

Not sure why the leaves became almost folded. I will have to wait and see what happens this year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Newhostalady, who is the large one next to your JuneFever in the last picture?

nicholsworth, that was a great game but I wish they wouldn’t show the losers so much at the end. I always end up feeling so sorry for them!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

Jack of Diamonds

Jimmy Crack Corn

Jimmy Crack Corn flower

Junior Miss

June

June Fever

June Fever leaf

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

June Fever and June Spirit- both on my list. Justine also... though I don’t think anyone has posted one yet this year.

Jack of Diamonds is beautiful!

And Beth- I feel that your placement of Jurassic Park looks so perfect, at least in that photo, given the name and size of the plant...all those lush ferns make me think of the jungle scenes in the movie. And a dinosaur just comes popping out!

5 years ago

this thread is beautiful!..I can't wait to see my hostas..would love to add all of these J's to my garden..

oursteelers..yay the Saints won!..I feel the same about cameras focusing on the losing players..especially the ones that dropped a ball, missed a kick etc..over time it gets better but it's sure a bummer right after losing..on our local news the Colts were cleaning out their lockers and they were smiling, happy and looking forward to next year..just one day after losing they (and me) are feeling better..

I live .5 mi from the Colts Complex (my house the blue dot)..right around the corner..they play loud crowd noise when they practice outside and I can hear it!..sorry guys..I'll cool it with the football talk..it was a big game for Indy..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Talk about disappointment, I’m a Bears fan. I’m not sure it got any worse this season than watching those missed field goals. Wondering if any of you saw those: (

Sherry

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Sherry the power was out during the Bears me but my youngest son is a huge fan so he filled us in. I think that was harder for me than the Steelers losing. He’s had to put with a LOT of bad seasons. He’s 21 so really all he’s ever had to celebrate is Urlacher....

5 years ago

Oh Sherry :-( we did see that game..we wanted the Bears to win..your loss IS worse than mine..we lost from the beginning TO the end..I feel so bad for your kicker..

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Newhostalady - is it possible that the folded leaves all belong to a separate eye? In the photo it looks like it may be a sport...

Connie

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    5 years ago

Jimmy Crack Corn

5 years ago

Oursteelers, the hosta you are asking about is a mature seedling. It appears in both photos of June Fever. It is lutescent.

ConnieMay, I hadn't thought of the folded leaves as being only one eye. I will check my other photos of June Fever.

5 years ago

I checked my photos of June Fever. I can't really tell if the folded leaves are coming from one eye. I will keep that in mind for next year and have a better look then. Thanks ConnieMay.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    5 years ago

A total of 18 J's in my collection, I managed to take pictures of two!

Denis, a superb Jade Cascade.

June

and from the other side and also the other side or should that be backside of Tiddles

and one in a pot

June Fever

In early Spring

Dave

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

Ummm, I don’t know much about football, and this household isn’t a real sports-loving bunch, but this season has been somewhat exciting for us in KC and we’ve actually watched more games recently than usual. Hopefully this map is accurate:

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

Laura- I love the way your JCC flowers echo those of the astilbe (or is it a mini-aruncus?).

And glad to see a Justine... I think that’s a really distinctive hosta.

5 years ago

windymess..Lol..looks good to me!..KC has a great team..I hope KC wins..

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    5 years ago

Thanks windymess! You got it right it’s astilbe

I just got my Justine last summer and am super excited about it, the leaves are exeptionally shiny.

• Saija_Finland
    5 years ago

Steve, its sun-bleach on my Jessica Alba. Normally my hostas aren't sun-bleaced, but we had really warm sunny summer and not rain (usually cold and rain). Also slugs love Jessica Alba, so in end of the summer it looked awful.

So many great Junes here. Mine is just baby, had to buy new one because pheasants destroyed one I had. They eat crown :(

I think I need Justine and June Spirit ;)

Denis your Jade Cascade is gorgeous.

Saija

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Newhostalady, I love that seedling! I got aspengold, jimmy crack corn and fried bananas because I would like some brightness. If only one of them resembles your seedling I would be happy

5 years ago

oursteelers..you could try a Sum and Substance..mine's pretty bright..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

NHL- I like that seedling too! And especially as it is lutescent! That’s my only complaint with Fire Island- after the yellow changes its still a nice health-looking plant, but the color is blah.

• mae (zone 5b On)
    5 years ago

One of my Junes had twins. I see in the Library that June has had lots of sports but few seedlings. I guess that probably means that the little seedlings won't grow to be of particular interest? Even so, I was very excited to see them!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

nicholswort, I did get one lathe last summer but I didnt think it would do anything for years. Aren’t the giants super slow?

5 years ago

oursteelers..I have several Sum and Substance..I admit they're not as big as I thought they would be by now..Blue Angel and Elegans are bigger..I do like the color of S&S..are you satisfied with the color of your S&S?..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

I only had it for a few months before it went dormant for the season. So yes, I think I like it???

My Elegans is my largest hosta at this time. In the last few years I’ve added Grand Canyon,empress wu, blue angel, World Cup, LS prophecy and tenryu so I have no idea who is gonna end up the biggest.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Trying to remember how long my S and S has been in the ground here, 8 years? It was slow. Now it’s at least 4feet in diameter, the leaves are at least 1 foot in diameter, it’s as tall as my mature Elegans. Critters of all sizes ignore it, yeah!

Sherry

• old_dirt 6a
    5 years ago

Does anyone not have a June? If so you should get one, I think I have at least half a dozen, all from one original. Plus several nice all green/blue reversions of June.

June

Small June in more sun

Jewel of the Nile

Have a June Spirit - somewhere?

Donna your hostas are beautiful as ever. Good to see you here, stay healthy.

5 years ago

Glad you like my seedling too windymess. This season I had planned to do a thread on it, but changed my mind. I just moved that seedling this spring and I was surprised to see that it is sporting. I guess I will do a thread on it as I had planned in the next few days.

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Justine

5 years ago

Claudia..Love those beautiful blue pots..

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Awh thank you Nicole. I got them at Lowe’s on clearance ... you see Iam a clearance hunter :-)

5 years ago

Claudia..me too!..I love Lowe's..can't wait to start shopping :-)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022