Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevesdigits

Weather where You Are

digit (ID/WA, border)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Finally, there is some winter weather.

Oh, there has been winter. I have been trying to decide what kind of winter this is ... it's like, 500 miles south? The Pacific ocean side of the Cascades? Nah.

Maybe down in Utah's cotton belt? Well, let's not be an alarmist!

The temperature everywhere around here right now is below 20°f. There may be several single digits. It seemed to snow aaalll of yesterday and never warm above freezing but I'm still trying to understand why there is only the same 1/2" of snow on my fence boards. Yeah, lawn grass still appears here and there.

No day in the 7 day forecast for a single afternoon high above freezing. Everywhere, hereabouts, will be in single digits tomorrow and, maybe, several other mornings. Chilly ... we will have to hope for no wind. Maybe some more snow but pretty dang dry ... Not unseasonable February weather but what happened to our snow? Where was the sub-zero temps?

There is a major storm blowing into Hawaii. How vulnerable does one feel to be living on an island ... planet ...

Steve

Comments (7)

• nbm1981
    5 years ago

Yeah, a good little snowstorm yesterday for sure. Low at my place this morning was the coldest of the season [so far] at -15F (-14F at Erie airport). Easy shoveling 6" of very light and fluffy snow. So light the concrete was dry underneath. Love that. Looking forward to some more snow next week. Good to see the mountains getting their fair share. Seems to be more consistent this season than last. Let's hope it continues into spring (it's supposed to, knock on wood)..

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

That morning fog yesterday was really cool! We don't see a lot of that here in Arvada. I was going kinda bananas over it. My kid thought I was nuts (as usual). Then snow. Now cold. Just cold. High today was about 12 degrees here. Brrr. But the snow is good. Hate the shoveling but love the moisture! I've been taking buckets of it, letting it thaw, then using it to water indoor plants. I've been houseplant shopping as a method of appeasing my desire to be planting. I noticed that Home Depot has spring bulbs already: peony, dahlias, elephant ears.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am puppy sitting but getting here to DD's place was through continuous snow. It has warmed considerably since yesterday but the snow is very light and dry. I hope it makes a difference.

Do you keep track of snotel - link?

I have to get some thawed soil mix for several flats! Better stop at the garden center on the way home.

Steve

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    5 years ago

I didn't check the temperature when I left for work the other morning, but it must have been less than -20. That's what my wiper fluid/de-icer is rated at and it was frozen in the reservoir. Not solid, but it was slushy. Then it started snowing and the next morning I did look at the temperature. A balmy -15. We are down in the river bottom, so it gets a bit colder then the surrounding uplands, and A LOT colder than Denver since we are an hour removed from the heat island of the city. Yesterday was in the single digits until about lunchtime. Needless to say, I'm ready to pack my bags and go back to Phoenix.

You know, I lived in Hawaii. It didn't make me feel vulnerable. Claustrophobic and redundant and it did rain...a lot. The guys in Arizona would forecast the amount of rain we were getting. "Six inches of rain. One raindrop every six inches." I would tell them that it only rained once in Hawaii, it just lasted for 9 months.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had family living on Vancouver Island and know from pictures that it is a very pretty place. Some of the communities in the Puget Sound are nice places. I might be confortable there, especially where the Olympic Mountains create rainshadows. Vancouver Isle, I just don't know. From the map, it looks like it would just tip over into the ocean if there was a shift in the tectonic plates ... and, we continue to hear that this will happen, some day. Bad weather, earthquakes, unpleasant neighbors - where do you go if you live on an island???

Yesterday wasn't a very good day for our 160 mile round trip out into the Palouse Hills. Early morning started out just fine. The plows had done their work of removing the drifts that the 35+ mph winds had built up Saturday. The single digit temperatures were okay. Then, it began to snow and ice built up on the windshield wipers.

60mph driving during half the way south early was down to 20mph driving when whiteout conditions prevailed at times heading back later. The schools in the district are closed today. The state highway we took for a little ways north (couldn't stay on it, it was already closed) is now closed south to the home of Washington State University. Multiple vehicles in roadway, the highway department says.

Here at home, we had about 5" on Saturday and have another 5" now, I'd guess. More snow on its way. Lots of blowing snow anywhere that there is some wind. I even noticed that large buildings will have the snow blown off and a dang drift will appear in a nearby street. Still, it is kind of nice to have some normal, winter weather.

Steve

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We had about an hour of blue skies and sunshine yesterday morning, between snowstorms. Then ...

a daily record of 7.2" fell at Spokane airport to the west.

It's about 5am and it sure doesn't look there has been any break in the snowfall. If this storm has any trouble blowing on over the Rockies, I think that we may have some more records around the area, today.

Steve