Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindy_altermatt

HELP! Furniture selection for livingroom re-do

Mindy Altermatt
5 years ago

My husband and I recently downsized from a large home in a suburban neighborhood into a downtown townhouse with beautiful mountain views. We kept a hodge podge of furniture, rugs, art, etc and now that we've lived in the townhouse for 6 months we realize the livingroom just doesn't work for us. We want a more relaxed and loungy space! I'd love to have a sectional that fits into that big window bank but not sure how to layout the room. Any advice would be welcomed! We're not attached to any of the furniture but would definitely like to reuse pieces if possible. The rug is most definitely getting replaced! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Your photos aren't enlarging, so it is difficult to determine exactly what pieces you might keep. I suggest you consider a reversible chaise sofa instead of a sectional. You get much the same look but not the bulk, and the chaise can change from side to side at will, so you have many more arranging options should you tire of having it in the same location. The heat from the window may not be very inviting in the summer months, and you could re-think the space with changing seasons.

Gus* Modern Jane Bi-Sectional (Wood Base), Stockholm Cobalt · More Info

Eleanor Midcentury Modern Bi-Sectional Velvet Sofa, Neptune · More Info

Logan Bi-Sectional,Huron Ivory / Walnut · More Info

• Mindy Altermatt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bette P - The best view is the bank of windows behind the single chair with the black bar piece.

• Mindy Altermatt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Decoenthusiaste - I really like that idea :-) The window bank is south facing so it could be warm in the summer. I hadn't considered this... Now for the room layout!

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I think you'll want a lower credenza 25% wider than the TV. To watch TV from the window area, you'll probably want to wall mount it on an articulated arm so you can turn the TV toward the sofa or toward another part of the room where you'll have seating.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

If you like the two bergere chairs you could put them at the fireplace with a chess or other game table between them. What are the cabinets behind your current sofa? If they were replaced with bookcases, I could see a nice reading corner by the window with the mini-split above. I'm thinking "relaxing and loungy" as you said. How about integrating a bar in that recess by the fireplace? It could be for liquor, wine or coffee (your choice.) Wish Houzz would let me post photos today. Its been acting up all week.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I think you already have the right layout. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

The one thing I would do is move the black bar away from the window nook and keep the windows unoccluded. Depending on how much space you have between the Bergere chair and the window wall, I might put one or two lounge chairs there and maybe some plants.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

How about new upholstery on the bergere chairs for a refresh?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I am trying ti figure out how you would watch TV witha sectional in the window space. Sectional are actually the worst possible seating for comfort since only 2 people get an arm and everyone is lined up like a kids botrhday party. I would leave the space in front of the windoes as clear as possible. As for heat get some solar shades on those windows now, they will help with heat and damaging UV rays and let you keep the view.The TV is mounted a bit high and the black cabinet really doesn’t work with the rest of the pieces.