Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfldoc

Yes You Can Grow Asparagus in Florida

We were away for a couple of days and came home to this.....

Comments (10)

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    5 years ago

Me too. Wow! Maybe I need to plant some. What variety are these?

We had a great patch up north that is still being enjoyed by the woman we bought our property!

cfldoc 9b Lake County thanked bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
  • cfldoc 9b Lake County
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is a mix of Jersey Knight and Mary Washington plants. We had a nice asparagus patch in Pennsylvania which I took good care of for years. Sold the property, and the guy who bought it let his goats eat the patch and that was the end of it. Guess he didn't like asparagus!

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How cool! The ones I planted in St. Pete decided to start coming up in fall very shortly after planting, they grew vigorously all through winter and spring and then died in summer. It seemed that they were confused about the time of year, when to grow and when to go dormant. I'm wondering if planting in early spring would make a difference.

cfldoc 9b Lake County thanked Florida_Joe's_Z10a
  • cfldoc 9b Lake County
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Joe, I believe UF recommends mowing them down in January and August to sort of force dormancy since they never really enter naturally with the warm Florida weather. I no longer can bring myself to do that in August but I do the January mow. My soil has had a lot of organic material added and the plants do okay. Here, during December and January there is not much rain and the plants are looking poorly anyway. In mid February I start to give them some water if it doesn't rain. I am sure to keep them watered if we have a dry spell when they are actively growing. It's nice that they are perennial, our patch is about ten years old now. Good luck!

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

10 years! So they can be long lived even in Florida. I think I made a huge mistake irrigating mine after planting. I should have waited until February like you do. I've made note of all of your advice. I'm inspired now to try to grow them again.

• Shell
    5 years ago

I didn't think they'd grow here! I'm going to have to start some. I love asparagus.

• suncoastflowers
    5 years ago

I almost bought some yesterday.

• Kathryn White
    2 years ago

Mine have been growing well since early spring when I planted the second year crowns. Recently cut them down im November but some were regrowing and I harvested a bit. I am worried they are suffering because I have been irrigating so much. I am going to stop watering until February but should I cut the few remaining spears to promote dormancy? What does dormancy look like in Florida? Nothing coming up for a few months?

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dormancy here, if you can call it that, seems most related to the dry season. i do not water mine at all from this point until the end of February and then I pour it on. You will not get the sudden flush of spears a season change produces up North. I would also cut the remaining spears present now.