Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niecie

Please help me choose a rug!

niecie
5 years ago

This is my current rug, the colors are lt sage/ivory/tan/red..

Here's the rug I'm thinking about purchasing ( sorry for the bad photoshop)..

The furniture pictured is temporary. My new furniture is a light cream will go with either of these rugs.

The actual sample of this rug is a little more subdued than it shows here.

Which one do I choose?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    What style will your new furniture be? If traditional stick with first rug. If your going more modern/contemporary then the second rug.
    niecie thanked Flo Mangan
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    They’re both pretty. What style do you prefer because the first is super traditional and the second is more modern and contemporary. I like the colors in the second one - it gives you options to bring in brighter colors for accessories. The bursts of orange are happy.
    niecie thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Patricia Justice Designs, LLC
    5 years ago

The new rug is happy and will be more of the "boss" of the room, but it's very nice. I think it really depends on where you like your color. If you want more intensity, say, on the walls, in art, or of you have an inspiration piece, then you can choose a rug that has the same colors, but be more subdued. If you get bored easily, then this rug will be one you will be stuck with. It is very nice, though. Think about each thing you want in the room and then decide. I've seen over and over again where people buy rugs say, at Home Goods, and return over and over. If the rug really makes you happy, then make that your one statement item. Hope this helps.

niecie thanked Patricia Justice Designs, LLC
  • niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo Mangan ..I'm thinking it could go either way?? Here's the picture of the furniture..the stripe fabric (the strip is blue, it's a soft blue) will go on the chair and ottoman. The swivel/glider is in a sand color and the sofa is in an ivory/cream color. The sofa and swivel/glider is not as shown but close to the color I've ordered.

and this is the fabric for the chair and ottoman

and the swivel/rocker..

The rocker is a sand color.

I've had traditional...now leaning towards more of a cottage feel. Do you think the second rug (blue/pumpkin/ivory) will go with the furniture?

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Red Ryder ..the colors in the picture are brighter than the sample received from the rug store. Here's the sample...

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patricia Justice Designs, LLC. ...yes I do love this rug, I think I'm getting bored with so much traditional that this rug just seems to modernize the room a little more. I know the rocker is a little "old fashioned" but it was the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in so it won out..lol. I don't have any art work at all as my wall space is limited. I have an open concept floor plan. I do need a picture to go over the desk that is left of my windows (it's pretty dark there in the picture). I do seasonal decorating on my mantle (excuse the candlesticks, these will have ivory candles) in the middle of pulling out spring decor now.

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The lumbar cushion on the sofa 12" x 23"..

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

AC LB...I do have only one rug that I'm considering, I do still love the current rug I have I think I'm tired of the red in it though, but plan to keep it since it's pretty classic, I think. I'm just wanting a modern cottage feel to my home now.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Cottage look would mean a more casual look. The traditional rug is lovely, so hang on to it. It could work in a bedroom nicely. The one you posted is nice, but I would work on a blue,cream and white color palette for a wonderful cottage look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Notice the use of rugs and each a bit different.

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love casual with a little bit dressed up look. Flo Mangan..are you saying to choose a different rug in blue, cream and white?

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo Mangan..sorry just saw your pictures. Yes, those are beautiful rooms, unfortunately I can't afford to repaint and my walls are SW Whole Wheat.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    With your wall color and brick what about using bright green with light slipcover and soft tones on chair fabrics. Something like this. Then rug comes last in the decision making. This would be fresh look.
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I like both rugs but I'm worried that a busier rug like the one you're considering may be too much for a living area; you may get tired of it after a fairly short while. Not sure whether checks or plaids in your furniture would work well with it, and you would have to have coral and yellow accent colors. You're seeing a small piece; when it's spread over your entire floor it may want to stand up and move everything in the room out of the way. I'm kidding, but I think you know what I'm getting at.

niecie thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh no, Ingrid_va so. CA zone 9 the plaid fabric is only one lumbar pillow that goes on the sofa and the stripe goes on the chair/ottoman.

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo Mangan..but the furniture was ordered several weeks ago, I stayed with neutral due to budget. Guess I was thinking I could change the pillows on the sofa for a different look if I tired of it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Neutral is great and your rug can add color as well as pillows. Just a personal decision. A sage green with reds and greens would blend nicely.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Something like one of these to brighten things up.
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

I would definitely go with the second rug and the reason is that a rug with a border never looks balanced to me as part of the border is under the couch. That being said, I prefer the second rug tones and feel it's a perfect fit. It's got a soft personality to it yet interesting.

niecie thanked Yayagal
  • niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions! I think I have decided to purchase the rug but keep my existing rug and store or use in another part of my home, as I still love it. I think the new rug will give me the change I've been wanting in my family room and allow me to have more of a cottage feel that I've been wanting. I will post once my furniture and rug is in place, I'll need your advice on art work! Your help is so appreciated!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Good plan. Your traditional rug is very nice and I would keep it too. Oh, in fact, I have around 5 rugs in storage now. Beautiful wool traditional rugs but they just don't fit in our new home. I may get a runner out though soon! Good luck and let us know how it works. One tip. If you can order a small one, like 2x3 (I forget if that size is available or not) first. You can check and make sure you like the colors etc. Then if it doesn't work, easy to send back. If it works most can use small rugs for a rug by a door, etc. Then order the size you need.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Looking forward to your new rug. Show us photos !
    niecie thanked RedRyder
  • niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great tip about the 2x3 rug Flo Mangan! Thanks!

Thanks RedRyder, my furniture should be delivered in a couple of weeks, thinking about ordering that rug today and will post when I get it all here..

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo Mangan great tip about the 2x3 rug!

Thinking about ordering that rug today RedRyder, my furniture should be delivered in about 2 weeks and I will post. I'll be needing everyones advice and suggestions on art and accessories...stay tuned! Thank all of you for your advice and suggestions!

• niecie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the 2x3 Flo Mangan, great idea!

Thinking about ordering the new rug today RedRyder. My furniture should be here within a couple of weeks and I'll definitely post. Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. Stay tuned I'll need help with art and accessories!