Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neha_bhardwaj89

Upgraded to a bigger place. Need help with living room

Neha Bhardwaj
5 years ago
Is it okay to have one matching end table rather than two and one ottoman and one accent chair instead of two? Is the placement of the floral lounger in front of a non functional fire place okay? I am thinking of a teal rug to pair up with my grey couch. Is there a rug needed for the floral lounger as well?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

we need shots of all 4 sides, not angles not close ups. still cant tell the shape or size of the room.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Non matching end tables are fine. Certainly one chair and ottoman are also fine.

Here's what strikes me about the room. It contains a whole bunch of parts, many of them small (like the art over the sofa), and none of it is connected. I'd start by moving the floral bench closer to the rest of the seating, then determining what size rug you need to hold the front legs of ALL the furniture.

Then I'd remove everything from walls and shelves and tables and begin returning them one by one, aiming for balance instead of just filling space.

I wouldn't get a turquoise rug. I think you have plenty of turquoise already in the space.

• Neha Bhardwaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Makes sense. Which color rug would you recommend?
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I would go with some kind of

Casablanca multi rug

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hey Neha, fellow plant lover here! I agree with Grover, you need to get rid of most of the smaller decorative pieces. Bigger space now, so that means bigger and bolder decorating options! You don't want a lot of white space between small things, they get lost visually so you can't appreciate them as much. Smaller items could be grouped together maybe somewhere else in the house, that isn't as grand as your new living room!

• Neha Bhardwaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Could not agree more with both of you. Going to look for another rug and a big plant (palm or fiddle leaf fig)
    Is there anything that I can do to give it a bohemian look and can I choose a jute rug?
  • Neha Bhardwaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover. I really liked the first rug - abstract rust, blue. Where can I buy this one?
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Is there any turquiose in the bench? I think it looks a bit out of place in the room? There are too many plants hanging down. Can they survive out on the patio. Group them to reduce the visual clutter.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Some of the suggestions here hurt my eyes when I look at the photos. I don’t think that’s what bohemian is supposed to do.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

can someone draw me the actual shape of this room please im perplexed ...........(not hard to do)

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

:-) One person's bohemian is another person's acid trip. I love all the colorful rugs.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I interpret Bohemian as sort of "east meets west, colorful" reminding me of the area of Europe that is Bohemia, which has a colorful, embellished style of architecture and folkloric style of ornamentation. A lot of inspiration from nature and art and music.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just LOVE that first picture celery girl posted! And, yes if you're going with bright colors, then a sisal rug would be perfect either natural or a color..this one is Pier one,..

I agree that it depends on how brave you are. Many who post here seem so timid--it's refreshing when we find one who's not...

I agree that since it's a bigger place, then group your small stuff (if you decide you want to use all of it). Def. all your plants need to go over by the door/window for impact (except the trailing one that's inching its's way down the wall...I just love that!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I simplified the fireplace wall a bit by removing everything that wasn't plant based. I see you can't really move the bench off the fireplace, so maybe it's best removed since the room is small. I removed the pots in the lower windows, and consolidated plants on the empty wall. I also removed the vase of fake flowers. It really doesn't belong.

Here is that rug:

https://plushrugs.com/safavieh/bristol/btl354f/#90219

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Your TV console is a bit too short and your juju hat is hanging out all alone. Group smaller things together and don't worry about blank spaces on the walls. The blank spaces are part of achieving balance.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    I agree with Grover, no bench in front of fireplace. Also, what is that pink thing over the TV? It looks kind of like something rated R to me...
  • aharding22
    5 years ago
    Love Groveraxle’s suggestions.
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

It's so wonderful that GA take the time to make these fabulous renderings! The other plus about grouping your plants is how much easier it makes watering!!

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • sloedjinn
    5 years ago

The pink thing appears to be a Juju hat. They’re very popular in boho decorating.