Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_olson43

Ranch remodel/addition Does it make sense to move walls?

Samantha Olson
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I own a 1964 ranch track house that backs up to a greenbelt on the lower american river in the Sacramento area. Because of this great location, we want to stay here for a long time, but the house is super cramped. I hired an architect and asked him to pop the entire back of the house out. Instead, his first set of drawings added only the master suite addition because it was not "practical". I get that, but am still wanting to add more space to the main interior rooms, so I am looking at building into the garage 5 feet to capture more space in the dining room, and perhaps moving the living room wall back to where the bathrooms are now. I continue to get resistence for any big moves, but it seems like if I can afford it and it makes me happy, why should we consider this. I want to sensible, but I sort of want to go big too, and improve this house. I am going to figure out how to attach pics of the existing floor plan and the first sketch so you can see what I am talking about. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

You can attach images in the comments. Right off the bat I say drop the idea about eating into the garage because garage conversions are expensive and doing an addition will be far cheaper. Knowing your ideal budget and how much more space you want will also help us

Samantha Olson thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

existing floor plan

• Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

1st sketch-he builds into the garage but makes two outside rooms instead of opening up the corner into the dining room.

• Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

1st sketch of the remodel-hard to see but this is the master suite addition-I am thinking about moving the living room wall back into the existing bathrooms to open up that space.

• seabornman
    5 years ago

I agree. Go big if it makes you happy. Just keep in mind that, depending on the situation, you can spend a lot more than you will ever get back. I've moved walls in every house I've owned. But I agree with Sina about the garage. Unless you want to take over the whole garage I don't see an advantage.

Samantha Olson thanked seabornman
  • Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No way I can take over the whole garage. Not sure I follow why this is not worth it. This is a load bearing wall, but that corner just wants to be part of the dining room. I thought building into the garage was a money saver by avoiding new foundation and roof that goes with adding on to the back of the house. Almost every garage in y neighborhood has been modified to add house area (some better than others). What about that living room wall?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I would not take away two bathrooms from the home, even though you're adding one. Will all the guests have to use your master bathroom then?

As for eating into the garage, you need to understand there are different codes when it comes to them. A regular drywall wall isn't going to cut it. There needs to be fire separation, which costs more. Not to mention insulation. Plus permits to do this sort of work and labor.

Samantha Olson thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would move the guest bathroom to the back of the house. Then we are adding a master bath.

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

Plus a honkin big beam or a sky hook.

• rinked
    5 years ago

What size is your plot? As in could you extend towards the side? Or just back?

I'd keep the garage walls where they are now. You could build a laundry aka mudroom in there, but that would also be the side entry. A powder room too.

Quick scetch:

Samantha Olson thanked rinked
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had to google a “track house” as I wasn’t familiar with the term.

Would this houzz article help? You open up the back of the house...

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-advantages-of-the-humble-ranch-house-stsetivw-vs~16733969

As to “does it make sense”? Yes, if you are going to stay in the house long term. Otherwise, never invest in anything which won’t bring a return short term.

Samantha Olson thanked JudyG Designs
  • Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rinq, that is so cool that you drew me a picture! I have no room on the sides of the house. Did you take a look at the 1st sketch? The current plan is to add to the master suite on the back of the house. I am pretty keen on taking out that corner of the garage for the dining room. This is where all the guests bunch up when we host dinner and I can't move the dining room table lengthwise, and everything constricts at that pinch point. Like the idea of making a little laundry room on the other corner of the garage, but also taking some of that new wall and adding either more cabinets or a small pantry for what will be on the right side of the new entry from the garage. Thanks for taking the time to think about this!

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Judy G did you find "track home?" Like so many words ending in "ct," the word "tract" often gets butchered. I won't even tell you how much "Duck Tape" gets my goat! When I learned that a company actually named theirs that, I was quite discouraged that we would ever get duct tape pronounced correctly. Everyone does it, so don't feel I am picking on you, Samantha.

I like Rinq's ideas. But since you cannot move the bedroom wall to the left, you just move it toward the back. Notice that the dining room has moved entirely to be behind the kitchen, so the dining area is now part of the living room. It makes that room bigger without moving the plumbing, That saves a ton over moving the living room into where the bathrooms are.

The only possible problem with this plan is that the garage walk-though door is now in the laundry. It may be that you need it, by code, to go into the garage. Is there going to be another door from the house into the garage in your plan, Rinq?

I see a little bit of space in the hall between the door to the half-bath and the wall to the garage where a shallow pantry cabinet can go. I had 12" deep ones in my last hose and they held a lot.

• rinked
    5 years ago

Nancy: " Is there going to be another door from the house into the garage in your plan, Rinq? "

I only made a scetch. Every scetch should be approved+improved by a local structural engineer to meet local building regulations. :)

• rinked
    5 years ago

Just for fun. Another floorplan.

One large extension with master bedroom, walk-in closet and ensuite with separate toilet and huge shower (for example). Mirrored the existing 1/2 bath, so there's 3 equal bedrooms with a shared bathroom and a powder room for all to use. Could be more home value for the investment.

Then you could enlarge the kitchen, you could create a laundry, you could make a pantry in the garage, you could.. ;)

Samantha Olson thanked rinked
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Smart! I like that plan even better, it really makes the home more spacious. It keeps the new plumbing near the old plumbing, adds a bedroom (and the associated value), while keeping the garage size appropriate for the larger home.

• Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is a very interesting idea bouncing the house out on the other side. I honestly had not considered this, and the view is not as good from that direction. That said, it could make sense to add a 4th bedroom, and not knocking walls out may save money. Waiting for the architect's second sketch, but wanted to thank you all for your input.

• Samantha Olson
    Original Author
    5 years ago