Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerful

Cabinet Color: I'm crushed! I thought BM Stone Hearth was IT...

flowerful
5 years ago

After years (literally!) of searching for a kitchen cabinet color, including a consultation that wasn't even close, I thought I had the ideal warm grey: Stone Hearth. Until I took it home and my possessed kitchen had its way with the paint chip: It turned blondish beige.

The host of neutral/warm greys/taupes/greiges I tested BL (Before Lighting) (some of them twice, like smokey taupe/inukshuk)--generally turn too green, blue or red. AL (After Lighting) these colors are more attractively displayed, but still too green, blue or pink.

Here's the demonic kitchen:

The small, peid-a-terre house the kitchen inhabits going up for sale, so the mascarello counter-tops are staying, as are the white appliances. The builder-grade cabinets de-laminated, so the underlying MDF must be painted.

Painting white SO won't work. Kitchen walls will be SW Shoji white as in rest of house. A warm mid-to-light color (around 55 or 60 LRV) with a moderate yellow undertone--but no visible green/purple/pink!-would work best with the countertop.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true suggestions?

Comments (15)

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

You have changed the light bulbs and the SW Shoji White looks good on the walls. How about using it on the cabinets, too? There are very few white paint colors that will make or break a house sale. The search for "it's perfect" may need to be replaced with "it's fine".

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Echoing the above. Especially the search part. We have to let go of the perfection quest. :)

• SirJohn
    5 years ago

What have you changed the bulbs, too? If LED, I'd look for those labeled High CRI, with rating of 90+ as they will provide truer color. What color temperature are you using now? You may want to go to a higher temp bulb more in the 4000k range. Sorry if you posted this information before.

If you are selling I wouldn't get too hung up on finding the perfect version of white.

• unraveled_wi
    5 years ago

You mention a paint chip - did you buy a test pint and paint a board for a sample too? I often find that the chips aren't accurate representations of the true color or the way it looks in the house.

• MarleneM
    5 years ago
    I’m not a pro, but I’ve heard if you want to know the undertones of a nuetral look at the darkest colour on pits colour strip. Also the lighter you go, the more the undertones will show up. The direction you get the natural light will also affect colour. If you get light from a north facing window, colours will look more blue as opposed to a south facing. I could see shoji white not working with appliances, but you could do white uppers only. I try to find another photo I came across.
    The houzz photo below has sw jogging path on walls, which is compatible with shoji white. Might worth checking out.
    Kitchen Remodel & Whole Home Renovation · More Info

I suggest if you’re working with the counter, then pull a light colour from it as shown in photo below.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would try Accessible Beige or Realist Beige by SW. I don't think any warm gray will work with the orange in the counter top. Maybe a toasty tan would work.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I looked at SW Shoji White and it is a great color and a great choice for all your walls, and because the kitchen is very small, I would paint the cabinets (top & bottom) "Shoji White". The entire space will look larger as well.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I don't know if you are selling or not - some are assuming you are.

If so, don't worry about the paint color. After I got rid of the gray in my bedroom and the main bath, I tackled the annoying all white kitchen. Cabinet doors and trim became country blue. (This was my old house.) Dont second guess a buyer.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

The OP wrote: "The small, peid-a-terre house the kitchen inhabits going up for sale..."

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I used Martha Stewart 'Gull' on my cabinets -- that is a bone white (touch of warm gray, touch of beige). While I was waiting for my counters, I had brown cardboard on the cabinets and thought the colors worked very well together.

I don't think her brand is available anymore, but I suspect S-W or Home Depot might still have the ability to mix it.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Your kitchen isn't actually possessed, it just has 2 neutrals from 2 different hue families. Trying to add a third hue is going to be difficult because anything that is close to the hue of the flooring will look too pink next to the countertops. Any thing close to the hue of the countertops will look green next to the floor,

You could stay with white cabinets or use a navy blue or gray green.

• lindahambleton
    5 years ago

Do the cabinets the same color as the walls.

• PRO
    Paintzen, Inc.
    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about all of your troiubles! Lighting definitely will play tricks on you so much sure to using cool bulbs.

For the warm gray you're looking for, I would suggest PPG's Balance, Free-Regin or Go-to Gray.

Thanks!

Meghan

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    Your trying to put a square peg in a round hole! Your never going to get your cute little kitchen to look like that inspiration pic especially with those countertops.Since you know SW works in here just do the very best paint job you can ! It will look just adorable!!!