Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Countertop edges, shape, and island opinions needed

Ivy Lou
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am getting new quartz countertops to replace my current granite countertops. My countertops now have a bullnose edge and some 45 degree angle corners instead of 90 degree. I didn't really think much of it until the countertop fabricator was over to do the template and asked me if I wanted a square, eased edge and do 90 degree corners.

Old photo of my kitchen with the old tile floor (but it's one of the only photos of my kitchen being clean that I could find)

I just put a trash can under here instead of seating. However, I'm getting rid of it and getting an under cabinet pullout trash can installed. So is this overhang just taking up more space than it needs to?

Kitchen with the new flooring just installed. You can see there is a big peninsula area over here for counter seating which is where I plan to have 4 stools, so I won't be using the island for seating. The peninsula also has the same 45 degree corner as the island.

Along with new countertops, I am also getting my cabinets painted, new backsplash, and other updates to go in a more modern direction.

1. Advice and opinions for the island? Keep the overhang or lose it?

2. Advice and opinions on doing a bullnose or an eased edge?

3. Squared off corners or keep the 45 degree angles?

Comments (19)

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Your new floor is lovely. As far as the overhang do you have a need or would you use counter stools there? If so I would have an overhang but maybe not as deep as you have in the photos but I would do away with the large overhang on the island. Have it equal on all sides, maybe a few inches.

If it were me I think I would choose squared off edges for countertop. As far as the edges I personally would choose the eased edge from those two. But that is just personal preference though. Hopefully others will chime in.

Ivy Lou thanked wmsimons85
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

Since you have seating at the peninsula, I would not do an overhang on the small island.

You may certainly paint your cabinets if you wish, but it is not necessarily more modern. Newer design pics show a return to wood cabinets, but painted or not, the door style hints to the age of the kitchen - I have nearly the same door:) I prefer wood, but I also was concerned over the durability of paint over previously finished cabinets. I have some painted cabinetry in my home too - I am fine with it, but it does need upkeep and touch ups.

My kitchen:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

This kitchen also reminds me of yours. The island does not have an overhang:

After · More Info

That kitchen is from my wood kitchens idea book should you reconsider the paint:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Unless you think you would bump into them, I would square off the corners.

Ivy Lou thanked jhmarie
  • Mrs. S
    5 years ago

I would definitely lose the overhang. It's going to make your walkway feel bigger. I love your new floors. Great choice. I really like the herringbone pattern as well.

Ivy Lou thanked Mrs. S
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jhmarie, I see a lot of kitchens with wood cabinets that I do like, but my kitchen is not any of those. Besides, I've already gone down the path of no return by painting all my oak trim and replacing baseboards (on the main floor at least). The last of the honey oak are my cabinets.

My Office (used to be the formal dining room)

• lmmcnitt
    5 years ago
    Definitely tighten up the island area. How about doing something decorative with the back of the peninsula where the stools will go-corbels, or trim or wood plank, different paint or whatever your style is. You could definitely jazz it up.
    Ivy Lou thanked lmmcnitt
  • Rachel Nye
    5 years ago
    Do you need that island? Have you ever considered omitting it?
  • Jolene
    5 years ago
    I would do no overhang
  • ptreckel
    5 years ago
    If you like the size of the island top and use it....I suggest that you build a bookshelf beneath the area of the overhang. For storing cookbooks, etc. And then, perhaps, paint the entire island. I, too, would do 90’ corners.
    Ivy Lou thanked ptreckel
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I use the island a lot. It's our main prep area. I do like the extra countertop space. I have a little feeding area for my dog currently under the overhang of the island.

I am going to be removing that trash can, so this will just be a dog feeding area. I like the idea of keeping a bit of an overhang and doing some shelves. I am going for clean lines, so nothing too decorative. What about tiling the back of the island and doing 1-2 shelves?

Here's the peninsula overhang where I plan to put seating. I think they did this 45 degree corner because this is a walking area to the family room and dining nook and to sort of follow the common shapes of my house. I have a lot of 45 degree walls. Should I square off these corners or is the 45 degree good for not catching people as they walk by?

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

We can’t see the whole room but I would square that corner off, think it looks more modern that way. Shame about that overhang being a perfect feeding station for your little dog. Is the another place you could do this like a utility room?

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nah, my utility room is small. Plus, my puppers gets real food from the fridge, so it's most convenient to have her feeding area right there.

I'm thinking of doing something like this with the island:

FINCHLEY · More Info

But without the seating -- I would put my dog's bowls there.

Spanish Revival House · More Info

A kitchen on Houzz I love - has a color palette I like and tiles on the island. I don't know why I never thought of doing tile on my kitchen island until now.

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

That is a great idea. It looks like you keep your dogs food under the overhang on the left next to the fridge that is maybe not visual from the rest of the room? Looks like that would be a great place for the niche.

Ivy Lou thanked wmsimons85
  • ptreckel
    5 years ago
    Love the idea of the tile backed shelf and the niche for your darling dog’s food and water! A clever solution!
    Ivy Lou thanked ptreckel
  • User
    4 years ago

Would you mind telling me what the measurements of your angled peninsula are? I’m trying to see if I can open up our kitchen space and use up some of the unusable nook space by angling my peninsula.
    Thanks

• Kate E
    4 years ago

Love the tile idea! And if your dog is anything like mine... there is water splatter... so it makes sense to have tile there for easy cleaning! Great idea.

• kel_kat5
    4 years ago

Jumping in to see what you decided and to ask for suggestions on quartz edge. We have no island or peninsula.

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the (almost) finished kitchen remodel:

I say almost finished because I still want to paint the walls and eventually I will be doing some kind of tiling or wood paneling around the island and peninsula. For budget reasons, I couldn't do that along with all the other updates.

As far as the countertop goes, we actually decided on an eased edge with 90 degree corners, but the company who took the measurements either never got that information from our GC or there was miscommunication because, as you can see, what we ended up with are very rounded corners with eased edges. At first, I was disappointed, but I started really liking it and it doesn't hurt the design of the kitchen.

For quartz, I would recommend an eased edge and slightly rounded corners, because I haven't had any issues with mine so far.

• User
    4 years ago

Don’t do the overhang where the trash can is now. Eased edge