Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbh12

Mixing Woods with Bedroom Furniture

dbh12
4 years ago

\Hoping for some quick direction....

I have this dresser, along with the matching nightstands. The nightstands are quite old and pretty beaten up. I was hoping to get new ones but do not want to get the same ones. Although I like some symmetry, I did fall into the trap of the matchy matchy bedroom set, and I would like to get a different wood I think.

The wood is a solid maple, with a dark stain. I def can see hints of reds/oranges, so I am thinking it is a warm undertone. Any tips on wood colors that might go? Gray (1st pic)? Walnut (2nd pic)? Ash (3rd pic)? I am liking the Ash but what do I know :)

Comments (16)

• rinked
    4 years ago

I have a combination of pine and dark walnut/mahogany in my living room and I love the contrast (chocolate and warm yellow).

• dbh12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately I do not have pics of my room on me at the moment. My wall colors are light gray, and bedding/room colors are gray, white, and shades of rose/mauve.

ringq- Thank for the input! I am so nervous that I always play it safe and get too matchy :) Walnut is always so beautiful! I have a solid walnut coffee table in the same tone as the nightstand above, prob my fave piece of furniture.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

None of those bedside tables go with the color of that dresser. What is the bed? I would do a painted black bedside chest.

• dbh12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you pink_peony. Bummer. I would have thought black too dark, so I never though of it but thanks!! I have no bed yet - no headboard or frame. Got a new queen and have yet to decide on a "bed".

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Are you trying to lighten up the space? If so consider refinishing the dresser. The lines are simple and it could be really pretty in a light gray or soft white. Then bring in the grayed woods you like. Either go with an upholstered bed as an entirely different element or go with the same finish as one of your other pieces. On another note black isnt necessarily dark. I know that sounds funny but it can be a very striking contrast with the colors you have going. The elephant in the room with your color scheme is really the orange undertones wood. It sounds like the element that would be fighting everything else you've described so instead of changing everything else why not refinish it?

• dbh12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You are right, the orange undertones do not go with my colors. I never even thought to refinish, good idea! Is this something I can do myself and buy finish? I do like the idea of a light gray, and then adding grayed woods for night stands, so they are similar but not the exact same.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

You can absolutely do it yourself. I just refinished all of my own bedroom furniture to match my bed. I used Home Depots chalk paint and wax. It was very easy. They will even custom match any color into their paint. The best thing about chalk paint is you don't have to strip or even sand the furniture before using it. There are a ton of tutorials on you tube.

Projects · More Info

Before and afters of mine. I did a different brushed finish on the base but you can easily do a solid. This is a solid I did of another piece. I had a light gray paint color mixed.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

oops second picture didn't post.

Projects · More Info

• dbh12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow looks great, thanks for the tip!

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

I have a similar dresser (in espresso) and matching nightstands. Since you're trying to get away from the matchy-matchy look, have you considering shaking it up more with the nightstands? IMO the nightstands you are showing are a "near miss," vs. something very different. I'm not sure what style you are going for, but what about something like this

https://www.target.com/p/guthrie-two-tone-nightstand-project-62-153/-/A-51647071

One option is to keep one element consider between the dresser and nightstand and then shake things up. i.e. similar wood but a different fun shape (like round) or mixing in metals or something. (something like this but with a wood tone or something that is consistent w/ the dresser)

https://www.westelm.com/products/logan-nightstand-natural-h2023/?pkey=cnightstands&isx=0.0.11030

https://www.westelm.com/products/alexa-nightstand-black-h2870/?pkey=cnightstands&isx=0.0.10377

Or maybe something like this.

https://www.westelm.com/products/metalwork-nightstand-hot-rolled-steel-h1797/?pkey=cnightstands&isx=0.0.1133

You could always replace the pulls on the dresser to pull them together. West Elm has a lot of different looks, if you want to get ideas. Good luck and have fun!

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    4 years ago

Any of the options would work - What style are you going for? Could you share photos of the rest of the space?

• dbh12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lion Windows and Doors, I will have to take pics when I get home. I would say I go with a minimal, clean line type furniture style.

girl_wonder, thank you for the ideas. I've always liked matchy matchy to be honest since I feel like I am a bit "OCD", but considering trying something new. So much to think about :)

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

One option is to buy some of those lower-priced items (like at Target) so there's less at stake. (or you could order than and try them out for awhile and return if you don't like them) Also, you might be able to try a side-table, if the height is right (and you're not needing a ton of storage). Good luck!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago
    Chalk painting the dresser and/or the night stands is a great idea. I did my mahogany night stands to match my new ivory master bed. My best advice: buy the liquid polyurethane to finish the tops. I used it on mine and NOTHING leaves marks. And it’s super easy to put in with just a rag.
    If you’re willing to paint, the options open up to get the colors you like best. The dresser is throwing you off.
  • jbtanyderi
    4 years ago
    The middle one is the most comfortable.