Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindentree27

Awkward “sidewalk” issue

lindentree27
4 years ago

We have a problem area at the front of our house. See first photo, area outlined in red. Originally two large stone pavers at edge of porch steps, but they are crumbling and need to be replaced. They’re also too small - whole area in red gets shoveled in the winter (and we live in Syracuse, so lots of snow to move), and then the grass gets trampled in the summer and looks muddy.

Second shot is the house with area in front.

Any suggestions on how to hardscape this area? I’d like to stick with something contemporary. I originally thought about long narrow cement pavers (a quick drawing in photo three), but not sure what to put BETWEEN pavers for it to be practical - not sure grass would work, and I feel like pea gravel world be bad for shoveling and snow blowing.

Thought maybe we could just extend blacktop to area in red (photo one), but I think it’d be difficult to get someone to do such a small area and wondering what kind of seam/transition I’d see.

Any suggestions or advice?

Comments (13)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Yes, extend the blacktop area.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    4 years ago

Blacktop is going to look industrial and cheap. Concrete would be a better choice. Pavers aren't terrible to clear in such a small area, though I'd try to have as small gaps as possible between them. The worst part is going to be that since the area is an irregular shape, either the pavers have to be cut, or have awkward spaces between them and the driveway

• PRO
    Virginia Fair Studios
    4 years ago

I agree with mad as black top would look cheap and also will have a tendency to split depending on weather in your area. However cement can be cleaned and even tinted if you want a different color.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Select a natural stone (bluestone, flagstone, whatever is offered in your area) and have it mortared in place. It's a small enough area that the cost won't be prohibitive, and it will look very nice.

• lindentree27
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I’m doing a stone or pavers, what kind of shape? Do I try to create a path with some curves and grass on both sides? Or do I just fill an area roughly the size and shape of the area outlined in red (photo 1) and butt the pavers right up against the driveway?

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I really like Grover's rendition. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

• lindentree27
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, I like it, Groveraxle! I think I can bring the landscaping around in front of the bluestone and have it blend well. Thanks for the rendering!!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's OK to get an idea in perspective view, but to build it, you need to work it out in PLAN view (as if looking straight down, like a map.) As long as it's durable, the material you build it out of is secondary. The shape and size details are primary.

You'd best be served by reconfiguring the adjacent plant bed, not bringing it as far around the edge of the walk. (There is probably a better place for the small tree.) The edge of the walk should meet the drive at 90*. The edge of the bed should meet the walk at 90*

• lindentree27
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Yardvarck - thank you!! This helps!! I needed something specific like thinking about a 90* angle. Do you think I could bring the bed around to the front of the walk and have it butt up next to the driveway at a 90* angle? Like my awful rendering below. Or would it look better to have it end at like the half way point of the arc (or where it’d need to be to hit 90*), like you originally showed?

• lindentree27
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I obviously can’t spell @Yardvaark

• kitasei
    4 years ago

Would extending the line of the steps straight to the driveway rather than curving or angling it produce a.more modern look in keeping with the house? I can’t do a mock-up or I would show you what I mean.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I like Groveraxle's rendering very much with the planting bed terminating into the flagstones.

I would not bring the edge of the bed to the driveway ^ because of your location. Piled snow, snowmelt, soil compaction, road salt will cause that area next to the drive to be a bog in the spring and probably be too wet for plantings (perennial) to survive.

You can try it, though, and always return it to grass easily enough if it doesn't work.