Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lincoln97

Changing out a countertop

Will the backsplash necessarily be damaged? Is there a way of avoiding harming the tiles?

Comments (9)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm sorry. I honestly thought it was just a matter of fact, if hat makes any sense. I don't have a picture. It's a marble counter with 4x4 square ceramic backsplash. I can't get a picture until next week.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Generally, I don't think you can avoid damaging backsplash tile when removing a countertop. Tile is added after the counter, so it sits on top of the back counter edge.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

well of course you can just hammer out the countertop, being careful not to hit the tiles. not a big deal.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO you will probably want new backsplash with new counters anyway. The answer yes in all likely hood you will damage the backsplash.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, everyone

Beth, seriously? I can't tell if you are being sarcastic and your answer is the one I hoped for.

Patricia, the counter is brand new and perfect, so are the tiles. We are changing it because the sink is poorly placed. I will see about sourcing the same tile.

This is a project for a friend who is buying a new house. I am just helping out. Real pros will be hired. This is just in the goal setting stage.

• spisland
    4 years ago

I know people can certainly cut out one damaged tile on a floor to replace with an extra one.

So I can’t see why the bottom row of backsplash couldn’t be cut out carefully and placed back on again, at least as a backup plan

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked spisland
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Will the backsplash necessarily be damaged?"

No.

"Is there a way of avoiding harming the tiles?"

Yes, hire a conscientious demolition contractor. If I did it, you'd sign that I'm not responsible for any damages.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Zalco,,no, I'm being serious. I have changed out our granite countertop (they were granite tiles) and kept the existing backsplash (tumbled marble tiles). After carefully breaking the granite tile top and removing it, we slid in a solid granite countertop without any issues. If the new countertop isn't thicker than what's on there now, you should be fine.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Beth H. :