Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Transferring Kid's Art to Fabric Tote

Olychick
4 years ago

Has anyone ever done this? I want to have my grandson create a picture and then transfer it to a tote (canvas or cotton, whatever they sell at Michael's). I don't even know what questions to ask. I looked online, of course, but seems like the directions I see are from bloggers or others wanting to sell me their images. Or they require a laser printer.

Another option would be for him to just draw it directly onto the tote, but I think that would put a lot of pressure on him to do it perfectly. If he drew it on paper, could I make copies of it and then have spares in case I goof up the transferring? '

I thought of transferring the image onto a plain piece of fabric and then either sewing it on the tote or bonding it on with iron-on backing, if that might be easier.

Any hints or sites you've used that might help me?

Comments (22)

• Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes, please! Is the fabric with the design sewn onto the bag? Those are both wonderful.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

There are a number of ways. Some that I know of --

Copy the image onto an iron on transfer like this (different version is available for dark fabric)

Have him draw the image withspecial pens and then you can iron that onto the fabric

You can send the image to a service that will do it for you. I know of this one -- we did a small fundraiser with them when my sons were in elementary school and I remembered it because it was so unique -- but you can also place an individual order.

Hope that helps.

Olychick thanked lascatx
  • leela4
    4 years ago

Oly, it's not sewn onto it but rather its own panel-kind of pieced like a quilt.

Oh-here you go. I looked on the tag inside and it said "Square1Art.com"

I was going to send her a text, but since she's in GA I was going to wait (hopefully she's asleep.)

Here's the link: totebag art

Hope this helps.

Olychick thanked leela4
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Leela, don't bother her. I don't have time to send away and kind of want my grandson to "make" it (with some help). The quality looks very nice, though and I might use the info for Xmas gifts for his parents.

Lascatx, I did see those options. I can't figure out how you get the art onto the transfer paper? It says it prints it out, but do I need to have the art in my computer? That's where I'm stumped.

He does finely detailed art, so I fear the pens won't suit him.

Thank you!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

My daughter, a Kindergarten teacher, makes totes for her students’ mothers each May for Mother’s Day. Her way is to scan the art and follow the directions (google) for “printing on fabric freezer paper method” to print to a panel. Then attach the fabric to the tote using iron on bonding web sheet like stitch witchery. When she can talk me into helping, I hem (or fray) the panel of fabric before ironing it on the tote for a more finished product.

Olychick thanked maddielee
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

Snapfish can put the image on to many different things. You just need to scan the image and upload. I did this one for my son and his wife of their dog on a grocery tote.

Olychick thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I was also going to suggest Shutterfly or Snapfish. I can’t speak for their tote bags but I have ordered small 5x7 notebooks with a photo cover and have been pleased.

Olychick thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the great send-away suggestions (Rory, love that tote!). That might be perfect for Christmas, but I need this in a couple of weeks and he still has to make the art.

Maddielee, I did see the freezer paper method, but just glanced at it thinking I'd probably ruin my new printer. I'll take a second look. I've never scanned with the printer, but will experiment today and see if it does that. Thanks!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Olychick, the turn around for items printed by Shutterfly is quick, like one or 2 days. (Walgreens is also very fast.)

we have a large Kinkos/Fed EX store that can print on fabric while you wait. They may even have totes?

Olychick thanked maddielee
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for that info Maddielee! I'll check it out for options here in town. The problem is also that I don't have him with me every day, so there will be a lag-time for producing the art.

• suero
    4 years ago

Avery makes fabric transfers. https://www.avery.com/products/labels/usage/fabric-transfers

If you don't want to print them in your printer, you can always take the image to a FedEx Office or Staples or similar to have them print the sheet. Then just iron on to the appropriate fabric. There are different kinds of sheets - for white or light fabrics, dark fabrics, stretchable fabrics, and so on. Be sure you pick the right kind of fabric transfer sheet.

Olychick thanked suero
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

I would also recommend Shutterfly. They have pretty much everything where you can put a photo.

Olychick thanked gsciencechick
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

You could have him draw his design on muslin or other light colored smooth fabric, using fabric markers &/or fabric crayons, and then stitch it to a tote bag, or use fusible web as already suggested. Have several spare pieces of fabric in case he 'messes up'.

Olychick thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • maggieq
    4 years ago

We have had good success with the Avery product, can buy at Michaels. Upload image to computer, print, then iron on your fabric. Made annual t-shirts for visits from our nephews.

Olychick thanked maggieq
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. This is obviously doable. I did see those Avery products online at Michael's. Which one would you recommend for non-t-shirt fabric like a muslin tote?

That might be my best bet, although I just spent $8 on a box of freezer paper! I did find a really good video on that method. I'll post here just for others who might find this thread. She's got some fancy equipment I don't have, but it's a gift for a 9 year old girl, so I suspect I could make it "good enough."

Carolb, his drawing style is too detailed for fabric pens on fabric, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to get the image from paper to fabric.

I'll see if I can get him to make the art this weekend. If it turns out, I'll post here.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

With the iron on transfers, you can simply put the design on the printer to copy and use the transfer as the paper you print the copy onto, testing on regular paper first and making sure you put the paper in the right way (most are loaded with the back of the paper facing up).

If you have the ability to scan, you can use any number of online services or even take the image as a data file (SD card, flash drive or even on your phone) and get them printed. We ordered a bunch or graduation gifts from Costco's photo services one year and I have used York Photo for other gifts (your art scan is a digital image file like a photo). York has alway had a fast turn around for me. If you have a couple of weeks, I think you do have time for some of the services. You upload the image and create the project -- they just print and ship, York usually shipped within a day or two. Office and copy services like Fedex or Office Depot may be able to do the scan for you as well.

Test your freezer paper with a quick doodle or two and make sure you are happy with the results while you still have time to investigate other options if not. Sounds like something I have heard of before but not tried.

Hope this turns out well for everyone. Sounds like a very thoughtful and special gift.

• localeater
    4 years ago

I used the transfer paper from Avery to make T-shirts for the whole family for a race we did as a team. It was easy.

You do have to have the art on your computer. Have your GS make his creation. Then you photograph it. Then you print the photo onto the transfer paper and iron it on. Lasts forever, I still wear my race Tee and it was from many years ago.

Olychick thanked localeater
  • User
    4 years ago

quick run by post...

Oh I’m glad you asked this! One of those projects I always wanted to do.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I have used the transfer paper with my scanner and inkjet printer. The only issue I had was that on a t-shirt, it started cracking after several washings. I don't think that would be an issue with a tote though, since it wouldn't be stretchy like a t-shirt, and doesn't need to be laundered very often.

Olychick thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, you all are being so helpful, I think I'll give it a go if I can just get him to draw the picture!! Thank you!

• lascatx
    4 years ago

Carol, I think the quality of the iron on transfers has improved over the years. When my boys were little, they could be a bit tricky and were thicker and more prone to cracking over time -- especially on dark fabrics because the transfer requires a blocking layer. Just in the years when my boys were young, the quality and ease of use really improved. I haven't done one in years, but I'd be surprised if they weren't better still now.

Olychick thanked lascatx