chris209_gw

A visit to the Peggy Rockefeller rose garden

This garden is part of the NY Botanical Gardens. I went to college across the street at Fordham University and used to visit weekly and had free admission, which was fantastic. Now I try to visit once or twice a year, especially during rose season. I'll share some pictures from my visit yesterday.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Cinderella

Sydonie

Scepter'd Isle

Ispahan

Alexandre Girault

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Sister Elizabeth

Easy on the Eyes

Tequila

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Lark Ascending

Great Western

Konigen von Denmark

Duchess de Rohan

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a

Thank you for the garden tour, Chris. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• totoro z7b Md

Really want to go one day.thank you for sharing. Had never seen Cinderella and AG.

• hugogurll

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Gorgeous! What was the striped one called?

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

I'm glad you all enjoyed it :)

That striped one is rosa mundi. Not sure where the label went.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Beautiful Chris... I can see you had a great day.. and of course I love Alexandre Girault…. my favourite rambler of that type... don't see it often enough …

I've done a tour of this garden via google maps... one can sort of glide around it, but I don't get to see quite the display you did...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I was also taken with Cinderella, quite beautiful but not familiar to me. These pics are really beautiful, thank you for allowing us to see so many lovely roses.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

AG looks so stunning. You did great taking the whole pic and I bet it must be huge. I love Cinderella , Dutchess de Rohan..omg..you must have smell all of them. I envy you going there. For me it will be a lifetime trip as I am writing down my want to do bucket list. This is one of them and the other is Portland.
    Great pics !!
    Thank you for sharing :)
    jin

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

but a dream to have been able to visit so often! I love your pictures especially Cinderella.

• bayarea_girl

Thank you for the tour. Great pics! Helen

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour. I know I always love when others post their visits to different gardens.

Cinderella is one of the Kordes fairy tale roses.

Here's a couple more.

Roseraie de Chatelet

Alina

• farmerduck

How very nice! Thank you Chris for the tour

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Alexandre Girault is fabulous. I had never heard of this one before. Thanks for sharing!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Roseraie de Chatelet is another beautiful one, not common at all here, and I gather only available from Palatine.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Haha Ingrid, you love your fluffy pink roses!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

I really liked these obelisk sort of growing structures they had.

Poseidon

John Cabot

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Postillion

Royal Jubilee

Madame Hardy

St. Cecilia

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Chris, I love John Cabot and all the lastest pics you have posted. It is totally killing me with such beauty. Wishing that I am there and you are a great photographer by the way. Any more beautiful pics ?? It makes it so easy to pick what you like OR the other way round. ....want all and can't pick.
    I want a job there...lol
    jin
    P. S. Great thread :)

chris209 (LI, NY Z7a) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Thanks Jin!

Haha, these are the last few I took.

Music Box

Thanksgiving Rose

Easy Spirit

Couldn't find a tag for this one..

The lily pads were also very pretty.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I love the music box!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Wow, Chris, it looks like you picked the perfect time to go! What an abundance of beautiful blooms! Thank you for sharing all your photos. I love seeing these new-to-me roses and learning about them. :-)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Great pictures Chris, thanks for sharing. I appreciate that you took the time to jot down the variety names for us while you were enjoying the garden.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Yes it really was peak bloom there. Always nice when the timing works out. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the tour!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Beautiful additional photos, Chris, thank you for thinking of us when you visited. You're right, I gravitate toward the fluffy pink beauties, lol. Your photos are far above and beyond the usual snapshots that people take in such gardens. Your appreciation of roses shines through in every picture.

• Dave6aMO

Incredible, Chris! I’ve enjoyed all the pics you have shared from this trip. Any particular favorites you experienced there?

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Dave, that's a tough question. There was so much to take in that I was pretty overwhelmed. Postillion really caught my eye though. I'm always a sucker for yellow roses.

• Dave6aMO

Postillion does look very nice. I planted Autumn Sunset recently and seems to have a somewhat similar look. Thanks again for sharing these.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Dave6aMO

Postillion does look very nice. I planted Autumn Sunset recently and seems to have a somewhat similar look. Thanks

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

• farmerduck

That John Cabot is such a show stopper!!!

• Dave6aMO

That’s funny, rifis - I had not looked up the parentage until you posted.

• Michele

What a beautiful garden! Thanks for posting.

• suncoastflowers

Thank you for posting your pictures! They're absolutely stunning!