Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rshgrge

open concept - family kitchen dining design help

Treesa
4 years ago

I have an open floor concept. As you can see we have an extended breakfast room - used to have a big table we never used so we moved it into the formal dining room. We converted our “breakfast area” into a sitting room. Need to add a sofa or a small bench there. My goal is to put some plants, pillows, and string lights to give that sitting room an indoor lounge feel. My big question - I want to add a mid size dining table maybe behind the sofa. So it would be between the family room and kitchen without compromising the sitting area. Would that work? Or am I just cluttering up the whole open feel with sitting and another dining table? Please help. Thank you. Please excuse the mess.... moving around a lot of things at the moment :)

Comments (9)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Where will the poor dog sleep? Can the recliners work with a table there?

Treesa thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Treesa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The doggy bed can go by the tv area... there is an open space there. the sofa does recline so that’s something to be thoughtful of when adding table as well.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

I think it might be too tight to do any dining table there between the reclining sofas, island seating, outdoor traffic path, and the sitting room.

Treesa thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Where is your dining area if the dining area is a sitting area that you don't need? Also the drapes should be moved to the living area and install Roman Shades in the niche.

You can have a table with a banquette for your bumped out area.

Treesa thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Brown Dog
    4 years ago

Your sitting room does look like a waiting room as Groveraxle said. I like the idea of a built in banquette around the perimeter of your sitting room. It could be used for lounging or dining. Also, I think what's throwing me off (and maybe you too) with your open concept is the big couch closing off the kitchen from the tv room. Because your big couch acts like a barrier, you end up with a noticeable dance floor between kitchen and tv room. If this were my house, I'd move the big couch to the wall where you have a chair and move your 2 chairs where your couch is. That way you can move your chairs further towards the kitchen to use up some of that dance floor space. It's kinda hard to tell but I think the rug in the tv room is too small, your furniture looks all crammed around it. From your photos it looks like you have a nice spacious kitchen and breakfast nook then big furniture crammed around a small rug in your tv room.

Treesa thanked Brown Dog
  • everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I wonder if photoshop would help to see the Poang-type chair angled [reading or coffee chair or look out windows], and the right floor lamp or such.

Someone said: if you didn't eat in that nearby spot, why would you eat behind the sofa [for tv watching?]

Hallway · More Info

Treesa thanked everdebz
  • Treesa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am actually going to remove the furniture and take some better pictures so you would get a better view of the kitchen/dining/living room. I would ideally like to do a sitting area in that room (like a sun room with some plants on the side) and still have some sort of small breakfast table in the middle but yes, it might too cramped - hence the problem. Thank you again for your input. It is truly appreciated.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor