Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april_marie44

Small room challenge: Office/dressing/craft room

April Ferguson
4 years ago
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>This is our second bedroom that we want to create a space for multiple uses.
• A space to get ready, make up, hair and change
• A space for computer, printer, bills, office supplies
• A space for my future side hustle. A working area for that hustle and other crafts!

I would say that I have a good eye and I have experience in design and decorating throughout my space and for other family members/customers at work, but I just can't get my head around this!

My challenges:
SIZE: Size is 9'10" by 12' 11"

• MONEY

• COHEISIVE LAYOUT: so that the room isnt chopped up?

• DRESSER: has no where else to go.

• STYLES I LIKE: Bohemian, modern, mid century, or a combo of all of them.

Our funds are tiny, so we are open to repurposing if it doesn't involve much more than painting. However, time is precious as having this as a functioning space would improve so many daily tasks and projects tremendously! I cant take it anymore!

Anyone have tips for a layout that will accommodate all those needs? I have gone back and forth with creating a U-shape on the opposite wall of the dresser and combining that with all my uses in one. Or having a separate station for makeup/hair getting ready. Ps - Our bathroom is TINY with no counter, so almost impossible to do these things in there.

We will be repainting, but I want to make sure it's not so feminine. I'm good with color but again this dresser is a challenge. it is a wood grain with an off white tone. Iron/black bronze hardware.

Furniture I want to all be coheisive, but not bulky because this is such a small space.

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you to anyone who read this far!

Comments (16)

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

PS - Another challenge: Finding furniture within our tiny budget and all the items that work together h
    as been hard.

• User
    4 years ago

Is there an existing closet? If you posted pictures they didn't show...try in the comments section.

• Michelle
    4 years ago

I have a small guest room, one side zone for office, a chair that folds out to twin bed, then the cat zone litter boxes, food/water dishes. There is a small closet well organized. I sleep in quest room when I have overnight company.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

You will need to post some pictures a floor plan and a budget.

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Budget is as cheap as possible!
  • April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pictures aren't working. :-(

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Budget probably under $1000 for everything. That's furniture, window treatments, chairs, shelves, maybe a rug, a larger accessories.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I like Penny's idea of using the closet for the office space. Can you use the dresser for storage? I mean, it's not taking up space in the room empty? For your makeup area, I'd figure out a spot near the window to take advantage of the natural light. Add a large full length mirror for function and style. Figure out what you need in terms of furniture and scour Craigslist and the like for second hand stuff. Anything can be painted and chalk paint is brilliant for this kind of stuff. You paint everything the same colour and there's your space looking cohesive and deliberate. Large scale art in colours you love on the walls will make it come alive. I'd skip the rug with a tight budget but I'm not a huge fan of rugs so... Good luck! Hope you keep us posted with your progress.

This IKEA full length mirror has a practical clothes rod in the back:

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Closet and dresser both being used. I cant take a screenshot of my floor plan ideas so far, but some have been...
    putting a floor length mirror in the corner by the window and having that wall to the left being the make up area. then having the opposite corner of the dresser be the office area.
    were good at repainting/refinishing furniture so that's been a thought.
    I'm bad at making decisions for myself. I can do this for other people!

• User
    4 years ago

Is that a vintage enamel top table? That's just charming..is it staying or going (does it expand?)

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pennydesign, Yes it is! It was my mother in laws! We will be using it somewhere else in the house.

• April Ferguson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it does not expand

• J J
    4 years ago

following

• User
    4 years ago

Have a look at the Micke selection of computer desks at Ikea.https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/usearch/?query=micke

The prices are reasonable, there's a corner desk for the spot where the table is currently stored. You can have a straight desk to use as a dressing table next to that and under the window for the light, and another section to use as a desk for the side hustle...