Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_803849015

Starting from seed

Chris Mercier
4 years ago

I've never started from seed before, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information on the internet. I've seen people say you need heat mats, I've seen people put one seed into little seedling containers, and I've seen people just put seeds in full sized pots. I've seen special potting mixes too.

I am going to be starting some basil, cilantro, and dill from seed.

Can I just sow several seeds into 6 or 4 inch pots with regular potting mix and up-pot once they are suitable seedling size? Or do I actually need heat mats and seed trays and things like that?

The 4 inch plastic pots that bonnie brand plants from HD or Lowes comes in. Do they just sow seed in those or transplant from mini seedling containers (the 6 pack types)?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The most accurate response is that of course you can toss some seeds into some dirt and you will probably get at least a few plants, as long as you also have light and moisture. That is how nature worked for plants for more years than we humans have been around. And, the more supports you give to those seeds in the form of appropriate seed starting mixes, appropriately sized pots, appropriate temperature, light, moisture, etc. then the greater your chances will be of overall success, healthy plants, and a good harvest.

The specific seeds you have mentioned are not known for being difficult or finicky. It helps to know where you are so we know how much you have going for you in terms of average temperature and light exposure. At this time of year, in much of the US, you could probably start from seed outside, in your intended final container, and be pretty OK as long as you monitor moisture levels carefully. But there are always exceptions to the rule and always something that can go wrong. If you are asking which of the various bells and whistles are most important, then under current conditions I would suggest (at a minimum) that you start with a sterile container and sterile mix - whether normal potting soil you sterilize or an already sterile seed starting mix - and watch the moisture level very carefully in whichever container you choose. It goes up from there in terms of complexity.

There is a Starting From Seed forum here too, and you will get tons of excellent information from them.

Many professional growers start with tiny individual plugs much smaller than those six packs and pot up several times until they get to their selling point. But they are professionals and monitor their materials, wastage, and quality of final product very closely. You are just looking to grow some nice herbs to harvest, which is easier.

• woodnative
    4 years ago

I like starting seeds like those directly in pot........use fresh potting mix (e.g. sterile). I like to add a little extra perlite to most commercial mixes........e.g. 2:1 or so. Moisten. sprinkle seeds evenly across the soil surface........barely cover (some types don't cover) and place the whole thing in a clear ziploc bag. Keep the bag under fluorescent lights (regular shop lights with regular fluorescent bulbs are fine).....it should be within a few inches of the lights). These helps keep temps stable (the bags would "cook" in direct sun). You will not need to water or anything until the seedling are up. Once they start growing their true leaves.....slowly open the bag a little more each day to gradually acclimate the seedlings to room conditions. At that time start watering when/if needed. Eventually take the bag off and slowly acclimiate them to more sun and/or outside conditions over several days.

• lgteacher
    4 years ago

Heat mats are usually used in the winter to start seeds that need warm soil to germinate. Basil, cilantro, and dill are easy to start just by putting the seeds in soil. Basil will grow into a much larger plant than will the cilantro, so will need more room. I'm in zone 9/10, so in July, the seeds will be fine starting outdoors as long as I remember to water them.

• donna_in_sask
    4 years ago

Basil, cilantro and dill are fairly easy to grow from seed. Each cilantro seed is actually a cluster so if you rub the seed, the ball should separate into individual seeds (I've heard it's easier to germinate that way)...also bear in mind, cilantro bolts really quickly in hot conditions so it might be a futile exercise in the summer heat. Remember to pinch off the blooming tips of herbs for a longer harvest.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

Chris, we don't know where you are located. That could have a bearing on how easy these herbs are from seed in the soil for you. For example, basil wouldn't germinate well in my outdoor temperatures and I always grow it in a pot in my glass porch. It germinates easily. I've never used lights for anything. Dill and cilantro don't need so much heat andi can die them outside. Also both, and especially cilantro, are prone to bolting, so are best sown where they are to grow. Transplanting makes bolting more likely.