Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_blom35

Living room Ideas?

Tracy Blom
4 years ago

My husband and I just bought a cute little home in Ohio. We had the idea of turning this living room area into a study of sorts (leather couch, green walls, brass lamps, etc.). Now that we painted the walls and bought a nice couch we don't know what to do here. We want to pull out the carpet but don't know what to put in for flooring. Looking for any advice for how to bring our vision to life.

Thank you!

Comments (37)

• hollybar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Congrats on the new house! You are at the "just keep going" part of your project. So yes, a wood floor and large rug as Beverly suggested is next. Also,when it comes time to measure for drapes,raise the brackets first. I'd pick about halfway between the ceiling and the top part of the window trim. Also,for ME, that white trim would have to be toned down considerably. (paint it or removed) Right now,it jumps out and divides the space.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Try painting all the trim touching the wood the same dark green....,try the couch parallel to and facing the fireplace..with a thought to tv above fireplace...this may create some interesting spots for a desk and chair?...a comfy chair/lamp/ table spot for reading?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Pull up the rug and see what is under there...what is stone around fireplace?...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The white ceiling is out of sync with ....the dark green and wood paneling...the fireplace is sort of modern stone..if paintable may blend in better with your theme...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

too many 'things' of different colors and textures. the chair rail. why is it white? if keeping it, paint it the same as the wall color so that it blends. right now all it does is call attention to it and cut the wall in half. Ditto the bright white windows. (I get where you're going w/the dark green, but against the white, it's a big contrast. try some solid woven wood blinds)

why is chair rail across the vertical wood planks? It should have been full wood panels.

A chair rail is meant to protect the wall from chairs being pushed back into it. Obviously that's not happening here, so no need to even have the rail. makes the room look shorter. I'd remove all of the chair rail, redo the pine panels, and finish off the top of the half panels w/a small, solid piece of trim painted green.

Paint the gold beam the same color as the ceiling.

Here's how it would look w/o the white chair rail, or white trim in the corner. I used a dark cellular blind, and also stuck in a woven wood so you could see how it could look. I put a plant in the corner to play up some of the green.

do you like your manufactured stone fireplace? Next to the wood paneling, it's very busy looking. You could paint it.

Light or dark. I do a nice reclaimed piece of wood for a mantel.

Look at this photo. although it has no pine paneling, it does have a dark wall, oak floors and black painted fireplace. wood trim windows, greenery, wood furniture.

what kind of flooring do you want? With the way everything is now, if you bring in another pattern or texture in the flooring, it's just not going to look good. You could do a simple white oak flooring or even a charcoal color slate or porcelain tile. (24x24 size)

• Tracy Blom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Apparently this house used to be a milk barn so all of the lower level wood panels have concrete behind them. That ledge wraps around the room, and I do agree, it looks awkward especially with the white trim.

• J J
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Hard to know what your vision is since there is nothing in your ideabooks. I might do a wide plank pine floor, but I wouldn't do knotty pine. Too much of a good thing yadda yadda...

Paint all the white trim green to match the walls except for the trim by the ceiling. You want to make it disappear. The chair rail across the paneling is a problem. I don't see any way to remove it unless you also remove the paneling on the top half of that wall.

I'd paint the beam brown.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

You could go all the way and paint the ceiling as well.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

What I'd do is look into removing the one upper panel [near fp] - if not I'd place a large interesting something there to add to fireplace's appeal. For example this is 45" W.

Large Metal Wall Art, Scripture Jeremiah 29:11 · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/jeremiah-2911-large-metal-wall-art-prvw-vr~59405540

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Imperfect nature has many colors so I'd try adding neutrals like slate... ?

Auraelic Table Lamp, Ponderosa Blue · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/auraelic-table-lamp-with-shade-ponderosa-blue-prvw-vr~53749744

• everdebz
    4 years ago

They call it transitional - about color of fp:

Uttermost Vardenis Ceramic Lamp, Gray · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/uttermost-vardenis-ceramic-lamp-gray-prvw-vr~110442201

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Measures 48 in x 19 in--HD Curved Wall Art adds depth and dimension. Different looks and colors:

"Imagine Believe Achieve" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

"Bridge Over Water" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/imagine-believe-achieve-hd-curved-steel-wall-art-prvw-vr~42162512

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Have family initials painted or etched - onto this type -

"Weathered" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/weathered-hd-curved-steel-wall-art-prvw-vr~42162794

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Guess that wood panel behind this would look 'natural' - ;-)

Has great reviews just fyi - 23x 37"

Ancient Tree of Life · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/ancient-tree-of-life-wall-sculpture-prvw-vr~52869404

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Does the carpeting not blend with fp ok? If it doesn't need to be removed, why do it.... it reduces the number of surfaces. What about concrete treatment for under it - to blend with fp, but not polished into a shine?

Tracy Blom thanked everdebz
  • Tracy Blom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The carpet is kind of gross up close. I can't get a smell out of it and feel like it needs to go. Underneath of it is concrete. We may try to just refinish the concrete floors and add a nice rug there.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Finished concrete floors are very expensive, even more expensive if the concrete underneath is not pristine. They are also very modern and would not be a good fit for this room.

• Tracy Blom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. We are new at this so I appreciate your feedback! What about slate? Do you think that might look good in this room?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I don't think anything but wood is going to look appropriate here.

Here are polished concrete and slate. (I also removed the upper paneling and painted the wall green.)

What EXACTLY is your vision for this room? Do you have an inspiration picture?

Tracy Blom thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I went looking for rustic green living rooms on Houzz and found this one. Please notice that this room has expansive windows which keep the space lighter and more open.

Previous Work · More Info

A color as bold as the one you used tends to be a huge light suck.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

If you like that green, I would swap it out: paint out the knotty pine paneling in the dark green, and paint the upper sheet rock walls in a warm white or very light taupe. Paint out the beam and the window trim in the same white, but make the window trim a semi-gloss instead of flat or eggshell.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I looked and looked for similar color combos to get examples, but couldn't find anything like what you have. So, I gathered some pics of dark green walls so you can see what type of decor they have with it, and work from there.

And, if you've ever thought about painting the paneling:

Tracy Blom thanked Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Tracy Blom thanked groveraxle
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Concrete can be medium-deep in color, and deep as the wood is..."Concrete can complement rustic materials like wood and brick or highlight the coziness of plush upholstery, making your textural palette richer to the eyes and to the touch... Can cost $5 to $8 per square foot. Staining concrete floors has been a popular option for years, because the outcome is determined by the homeowner's imagination..."

https://www.houzz.com/photos/riverside-basement-renovation-contemporary-basement-atlanta-phvw-vp~1268317

• petula67
    4 years ago

The troublesome wall with divided paneling next to the fireplace looks like a potentially good spot for a TV in a built-in. Alternatively, or in combination w/TV, fill that wall with library shelving and books.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Over a basic concrete [if you don't want carpeting again] - this is cotton and tiny pattern for $159.

Nola Accent Chair · More Info

Safavieh Montauk Collection MTK608 Rug, Charcoal/Ivory, 8' X 10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-montauk-flatweave-rug-charcoal-ivory-8x10-prvw-vr~90212176

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I'd consider a tile floor in there. (maybe even heated) Especially because that would clean up the plane of the floor by eliminating the bumpout in front of the stove. Which will simplify the space AND make placing the rug easier. As the layers of the room take shape,you can add 'lightness' (In the rug, art, and window treatments specifically) or not.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Here is a Living Room in Craftsman/Mission style that sort of looks like what you have in mind. I think your white trim needs to be changed to a beefier wood trim.

1907 Craftsman · More Info

• Tracy Blom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Now that I see this I do think wood will look best on the floor

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If concrete were medium in tone and same for rug -- color for lamps, art.... I liked grover's lighter nature-sage green. Less contrasts, softer.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

I would paint the entire walls the same color then get a wood floor and a nice warm rug ... Nice .
    Or redo the concrete floor underneath and stain it then polish or put a cement glaze on it to seal it ..it's not difficult and may be more practical ..definitely cheaper . Depends really on your budget .. More beams to break it up or paint the ceiling also ...it's too white ......think about your budget and make little changes if you can't do it all ....I would go slow .

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

skunst2017 says:

Or redo the concrete floor underneath and stain it then polish or put a cement glaze on it to seal it ..it's not difficult and may be more practical ..definitely cheaper

Uh, no, it's not cheaper. A polished concrete floor, especially if your floor is not perfect, is expensive compared to other options.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I know that many people like to get started decorating as soon as they get access to their new home, but waiting and planning will give you a better result. I think you already understand that the deep green in too strong in that big room and you will have to do two coats of paint to cover it with something lighter and more appropriate. Don’t unpack everything yet....just the essentials.
    DO work on a color scheme which you can use throughout the home. Look for inspiration among your possessions. Do you have favorite painting which will be hung in the living room? A patterned area rug? An upholstered chair or two? A mutual favorite color?
    Will you leave the fireplace as is? If YES, then include the main color of the surround in your color scheme.
    Do you plan to use most of your existing furniture? If you do a measured drawing of the main room, you can fiddle with ideas about furniture placement without actually physically moving everything three times.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

If I were you, I would browse Houzz photos for Craftsman, Mission and Arts and Crafts style rooms. Look for details that would make your room look great to you. Doing wood floors is a great place to start. Lot's of great suggestions above.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I had acid wash stained concrete floors for 18 years...they were the easiest,cheapest,most beautiful floors ever...the condition of the floors defines how they will look...adding wood floors to your room as-is ...would be overkill unless you change some things....wood would be warmer for sure...but the pine is pretty overwhelming in color and pattern....perhaps a color-wash or paint can mask that ...so that the new wood floors will not need to compete with the paneling....if cost is a concern and if your concrete floors are salvageable...it would be a DIY project with only cost of stain and sealer...less than $200 last time I checked....then you can get cushy area rugs where needed and let the knotty pine paneling shine...leaving more of your budget for new furnishings and to bring the wood heater surround into line with the rest of the look...another point on concrete....the sealer leaves a nice shine that lasts 5-7 years...no waxing...no maintenance.....since the natural light is minimal adding some strategic indirect lighting will brighten up the space ...to avoid the “cave” feeling ...if it is too dark....