Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_thomas52

Benjamin Moore Pearl Paint Sheen

ThisMombieLife
4 years ago

I have settled on a BM color and my contractor suggested using the Regal line of their paint. My concern is that I wanted Satin finish and the Regal line only has something called Pearl. When I researched I found this information about their specular gloss ratios-

Benjamin Moore Regal Select Eggshell 549: 15 to 22

Benjamin Moore Regal Select Pearl 550: 15 to 25

Benjamin Moore Advance Satin 792: 25 to 35

I do NOT want Eggshell finish on my walls. I know it's a preferred finish for most but I actually *really* like Satin finish on walls and wanted it as my main finish for my first floor following my reno. I am concerned that the Pearl sheen is just not going to give me enough of that reflectiv & velvetty type look I am used to and love from Satin. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Pearl sheen and can tell me how it actually reads on a wall?

Comments (23)

• ThisMombieLife
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lori, thanks for your input. You said the Pearl is a smidge shinier than the matte. How is it compared to the Eggshell? I only really included the Advance stats in there to show the difference between the Pearl and the satin.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

I would say from flattest to shiniest it goes:

Aura Matte

Regal Eggshell

Regal Pearl

But Pearl isn't as shiny as Sherwin-Williams Cashmere in satin.

I like the Pearl finish - it's really soft and pretty and has a nice hand to it. Totally worth getting a sample.

• ThisMombieLife
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lori, thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

• sloyder
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have the pearl finish in my kitchen, and I feel it is a softer feeling sheen than satin. Should probably get a quart, and try it out.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    4 years ago

Does your shop hap sheen charts? It's not your exact paint, but it might give you a sense of whether you want pearl or semi-gloss, since satin isn't an option. On the sheen chart I have, flat and eggshell look pretty similar to me; pearl catches the light but not as much as satin and semi-gloss.

I totally understand not wanting eggshell ... my bedroom is semi-gloss, even with its old, imperfect walls.

• periwinkle04
    4 years ago

Love, love, love Ben Moore Pearl finish. We move often and it's all I ever use, even on the ceilings. It's just rich and it cleans so easily. The light reflection is great but not shouting. If the walls were so messed up that I couldn't use Pearl, I wouldn't buy that house! And actually, I kind of like imperfect walls - they give the house a feel of age, and of living history.

• Beth
    4 years ago

Hi lori, the painters suggested pearl finish on the trim and doors in my home and it looks reallly smooth and pretty. I wanted to paint the walls a satin finish and now I am being told I have to use a matte on the walls because the trim is pearl. I don't love the matte wall finish but dont want to make a mistake. I don't want to have to pay the painter to repaint all the molding and trim .semigloss. can you please give us your advice. Thank you

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

I might not be a good one to ask because I don't care for shiny.

I would agree if there is pearl on trim/doors then matte walls are the best choice.

If you like shiny, then you should do satin or semi on the trim/doors and an eggshell on the walls.

You didn't mention what brand.

And it kind of doesn't matter because if you're "one of the ones" who is all about gloss level (some people don't care) then you really, really, really should get samples in different sheens and work out the combination you like best by physically assessing samples and combinations.

• Beth
    4 years ago

Hi lori, thank you for your response. The painters already painted all the trim and doors ben moore -pearl finish in white . I was planning the whole time to paint the walls a satin ( sherwin William's satin) but the guy at the paint store said you shouldn't put satin on walls with a satin pearl trim. Do you prefer a matte finish? Would I be making a mistake if I had satin/ pearl trim and satin walls? Thank you for you time. This is all so confusing. Painting is alot of money I just dont want to make a mistake.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

Satin on walls is not a look I personally find pretty.

Whenever you put any degree of gloss or sheen on the walls, it requires impeccable prep by the painter because very bump, ding and wall booger will be highlighted by the sheen.

Matte is a prettier option as well as more functional for those reasons.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Strongly agree with Lori. No sheen on walls!

• Beth
    4 years ago

Thank you for your advice!

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Thanks, Lori. "Wall boogers" are now denizens of my closet of anxieties. ;-)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

hahaha! You are most welcome. :)

• periwinkle04
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

With respect to the pros commenting, many designers would beg to differ. I personally hate it when paint store folks tell you what to do. Painters, and by default paint stores, like flat paint because it hides wall imperfections and makes their job easier. They spread this half truth like it's some kind of Absolute Truth and then you have consumers thinking it's "right." The best designers are not formulaic and know when and how to break these dumb rules.

Google Benjamin Moore Pearl walls and you'll get a lot of information and pics. I'm telling you, they don't look "shiny" - just a little sheen - and have the best feel. I get tons of compliments on my paint job, and on our current house it is just white everywhere (well, technically BM Distant Gray, but white). It flows from the trim to the walls to the ceiling and is gorgeous - a tad reflective and expansive. Cleans like a dream as well. All those Pearl paint deniers will love it too, and they won't know WHY they love it, but they will. It's a rich and designer look and feel. I've used it for deep colors as well and same great comments.

Try it in one area and see what YOU think.

• ThisMombieLife
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have to echo periwinkle. I actually REALLY like the Benjamin Moore Pearl and it's nowhere close to being as shiny or reflective as a typical "satin" finish, and I like satin finishes on walls. I think you could take it from trim to walls without issue.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

All those Pearl paint deniers will love it too,

Pearl on the walls wasn't the question.

The question was whether to use a satin finish on the walls or matte.

Between the two, I would choose matte.

Because as I stated numerous times - I personally don't like shiny anything.

• periwinkle04
    4 years ago

Pearl is satin, or at least one kind. It's the exact mid-range finish in Ben Moore: Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Pearl, Eggshell, Flat.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

I was planning the whole time to paint the walls a satin ( sherwin William's satin)

I thought the brand in question was clarified as Sherwin Williams satin but maybe I missed something.

• Beth
    4 years ago

Yes lori, you are correct I did say sherwin Williams satin. Thank you so much for your honest opinion about whether to use a matte or satin finish by sherwin Williams on my walls. I appreciate your advice so much, it was so helpful! Thank you again!

• kathleenkc
    2 years ago

I use BM Pearl finish on doors and trim. Flat on ceilings and Matte finish on walls. Pearl or Satin are too shiny for wall finishes, in my opinion.

• Jodi
    last year

@kathleenkc do you feel the Pearl finish is durable enough for a house with kids? also, would eggshell on walls be ok with Pearl for trim?