Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridaboater

need help identifying please!

floridaboater
4 years ago

Great aunt passed and we need some help with probate as she had no will. This is the only place I can think of to get help to settle her probate for debts. Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Comments (9)

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

It is a cameo. Here is not a proper place to find a value for Probate. You need a letter/statement from a jeweler stating what it is and what the current value is. If you have one that actually deals in antiques rather than just current stuff they can also value it as an antique. You need that statement in writing which you may have to pay for but can use that payment as an expense to the estate.

I do have one similar to this but with a lighter shell with that same metal work around it. I would be interested in when that particular type of metal work was popular.

floridaboater thanked maifleur01
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

This looks like a beautifully carved shell cameo....with an unusual subject...usually they were women not scenes. The metal work appears to be gold plated and wearing....perhaps it had a pin back that is broken off. Your best place to figure value is sold items on ebay....and when asking about something....size is important.
    My guestimate....considering it's not a brooch nor set in 14K gold....$25 to $50

floridaboater thanked lindac92
  • bubblyjock
    4 years ago

You should take this to an accredited appraiser. Ebay or Amazon or anything similar will give you a very low-ball value! At the other end of the scale is 1st Dibs. I suspect it might be ivory, not shell.

floridaboater thanked bubblyjock
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

bubbly why ivory? I see none of the grain that ivory would have.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

A google search brought up this similar one, although not Asian themed:

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

The scene on the one in the OP is not oriental themed. The woman is wearing a dress from the 1700s.

• floridaboater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow - you all are my hero - thank you so much for this info!

• lindac92
    4 years ago

BUT....theone pictures is set in 14K gold....which yours is not......and that is an asking price....not sold. check auction sites for sold prices.

floridaboater thanked lindac92