Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty_fra

Curb appeal to sell this home

kitty_fra
4 years ago

I'm a realtor. This home is in a rural area of Kansas. I'm the 7th realtor to try and get it sold. It's very high quality, custom built by a fantastic contractor - but with no architect or design person involved.

What stands out to you? More important in the immediate future - what could I possibly do quickly and easily to boost the curb appeal? This is the front side of the house - which I am now learning is backwards from what would be expected. There are no neighbors in any direction within view.

Something is off kilter. Those are huge flat rocks used as borders for planting but they don't come across as beautiful. Other huge stacks of those same rocks (maybe 20 feet high) are on the property as points of interest.

Comments (107)

• elunia
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

I didn't see the other pictures being talked about, but based on the outside it does look like the hunting cabin that many have mentioned. Most of the real fixes would be quite expensive, but a couple of cheap things could be done to help. For one, it looks completely utilitarian/government-project to have the trim be the same color as the house. some white paint on the railing and posts would help to add a little interest and cheeriness.

It would drive me crazy to have downspouts with extensions on them like that. It looks horrid. They need a clean re-configuration.

The lack of proper approach would be a considerable turn-off but that would involve some $$$.

I chuckled at the suggestion of linking to this thread for those who wanted to fulfill their personal "dreams" in the manner they saw fit, in spite of their ideas being "unconventional." That should be a reminder to those who advise, "It's your property ... do as you please. Let the naysayers be damned!" Resale day eventually comes.

• tatts
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is a chamber pot on the bathroom counter!!!

What does that say about the residents of that house? No wonder nobody will give it a look (well, and all the other desolation in evidence).

The agent who took those photos (all of them) should lose her license for doing such a horrible job of represent her client's property like that. Shameful. I don't see any plusses in that property, but the agent failed her clients badly by presenting the house that way in those horrible photos.

That is the saddest kitchen table in existence.

The number of people in this world who would want to live in that location (house aside), is miniscule at best. Aim for them. Forget the house. Your target buyer is a cult leader with about 10 hard core followers, or a Unabomber wannabe.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Is this the front of the house?

Where on the 140 acres is the house located -- near the road?

If the house is near the edge of the property -- near the road -- consider separating the house and a few acres from the rest of the land and sell them separately. Talk to a realtor and see if by dividing the property you could get more for the land and then sell the house at an affordable price, perhaps even renting it until you do -- rent w/option to buy. The house itself looks as if someone built it on a tight budget rather than as an upscale home so that group of buyers will likely be more receptive. Perhaps you could market it to a more budget conscious group after you've made your profit on the adjoining land.

The front entrance needs to be defined. A forward facing gable over the actual front entrance door would be a good idea.

You could clad the posts, upstairs and down, to make them more substantial.

If that is a garage on the right, I fail to see a driveway to it -- I fail to see a driveway at all. Wondering if that part of the structure would "sell" better if it were a sun room and bonus room (rather than a garage w/garage doors).

Do rethink whatever that is in front of the garage alongside the right side of the house. I see what appears to be the beginning of steps but mostly that --whatever it is -- looks like clutter.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Where is the link to see inside photos? My curiosity has peaked.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

I am thinking of doing some staging but the costs are going to need to be absorbed by me and I don't know yet if I will end up working for nothing on this deal before its all said and done. Am considering moving items to make it vacant for photos - or staging a few rooms. Checking on costs on that now.

Kitty, are the sellers willing to pay anything for cleaning and/or things like paint? Or do you (or your company) have to pay?

If there's no budget at all, I'd rewrite the listing, spend a weekend clearing out as much as you can on your own time, beg/borrow/steal what you can to make the exterior look decent, and then take new pictures.

If there's any money, I'd hire a cleaner and/or buy some paint for the exterior.

• Larri
    4 years ago

I'm probably being sentimental, because Severy is not far from where my grandpa lived at one time; however, it's a great house in rural Kansas. All that beautiful, wide-open space...Land of Ahs, I tell ya! :) It just needs some tweaking to dress it up and show off its assets. The photos are a bit gloomy looking and bland, but that's an easy fix. I'm not a pro, nor a realtor...but if it were mine to sell, I'd check to see if it qualifies as a ROZ home. There are plenty of people who would jump at the chance to own a home and acreage, if they knew of that special perk. If you're unfamiliar, here's a link: https://www.kansascommerce.gov/programs-services/community-development-assistance/rural-opportunity-zones/

kitty_fra thanked Larri
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Honestly, it looks like a place to hole up for Armageddon.

Do you have a staging company? Or a HomeGoods? (Pushing my luck here) I’m sure even country folk watch HGTV; while it’s not the barometer of good taste, it creates certain expectations.

All furniture removed, address the downspouts and place some potted plants by the front door. The front door style is all wrong and I noticed, unfortunately-as I wondered if the porch ceilings could be painted “Haint Blue”-that the porch ceilings consist of 10’ of vinyl soffit. The exterior siding and the ceiling look exactly the same! Not something that can be changed but certainly gives a “cheap” vibe.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I guess the staging question has been asked. I like the idea of borrowing for staging, especially if you end up not making a commission.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

This is a very builder's grade home and as mentioned, I doubt there was a woman involved with any of it. I am not a fan of the railing they let go "natural" it needs paint or new stain. The driveway needs some serious round up!! I think your issue is this is a twin home or a home with am in-laws suit. Who wants that square footage in a second kitchen?! The porch and lower patio need to be staged as outdoor living spaces not storage as they are now. I agree price is key. Sell the land and oh ya there's a sort of a house on it.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Have the sellers agreed now to clear out all the furniture and all the yard junk? Before the new MLS listing goes live?

Good decision on hiring the pro photographer.

• smhinnb
    4 years ago

There have been dozens of comments about emphasizing the 140 acres, etc., but the OP said this: The land was sold off before I entered the picture. I suspect that's why the recent listing said 17 acres??

• K R
    4 years ago

Tatts I had to laugh at that! As others have said you have quite a task in front of you. My only advice is to completely clean and strip it down, rid it of every last item, and price it right including some allowances to replace certain things. Even with a low price, extra $$$ always looks good. I’m assuming these sellers are extremely motivated at this point! You have one shot to get it right...

4 years ago

Good luck, kitty -- you have a busy week ahead of you! Keep us posted, please!

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

There have been dozens of comments about emphasizing the 140 acres, etc., but the OP said this: The land was sold off before I entered the picture. I suspect that's why the recent listing said 17 acres??

I completely missed that detail. That makes the listing price really ridiculous and much harder to sell.

• shead
    4 years ago

Well, there you go. That house without any land is pretty worthless.

OP, you’re the realtor. You should know how to pull comps on recent sales in the area. Do that and consider the results when pricing. There’s nothing that can be done to that house to magically make it sell for a lot more than it’s actually worth.

• A E
    4 years ago

I didn't read all the comments. I'd love to own it, but I don't live in KS! Curb appeal from the pic, I'd paint the railing white and find the front door, making it another color! I'd make the top portion of the home the "entry" to include shutters. Plant color near the rock and towards the front lower patio. There is no color at all or obvious place of entry, much less a driveway. I actually think it has oodles of potential. Landscaping is needed, then to put some seating outdoors to bring that element out. Not sure what it's priced at, but I love it!

kitty_fra thanked A E
  • jay06
    4 years ago

shead's post said it all. Checking comps is a realtor's first job and being honest with the owner is the second. If the owner insists on an unrealistic price, it's up to you to decide how much work you want to put into it. Would you consider cutting your commission, which takes a chunk out of the owner's pocketbook, if the owner agrees to a lower price that makes sense? (Admittedly, I think current commission structures need to be revised and flat fee is the way to go for sellers.) Selling a house always comes down to price, not rooms emptied out for pictures or patio furniture on the front/back of the house.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Doug makes it look like a "dream" farmhouse. Share that dream with prospects who won't be able to envision improvements without visuals!

• partim
    4 years ago

It's true that the price needs to be right, but first the OP has to get people to even look at it. Previous realtors weren't successful there. The old listing pictures were so odd that they were distracting - glare and dark corners, odd camera angles, unattractive furniture and personal items. That's definitely something that can be improved.

People need to be able to imagine themselves living in the house. Not everyone has the imagination to overcome those very weird pictures, if there are other houses which look more inviting.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Dig Doug, you are so talented! Now it looks like a house instead of a barn.

4 years ago

kitty, I'd include some pictures of possibilities like Doug's on the listing and in a portfolio to show potential buyers.

Taking inspiration from some of the previous posts, I'd also make another one with a metal roof, red door, red Adirondack chairs out front with a fire pit, etc.

Push the idea of their very own Gaines-like "fixer upper" -- what the property has is potential, the potential to be whatever they want it to be. Right now it's pretty much a blank slate and can go in any direction, whether it's "modern farmhouse", or multi-family or large family acreage with some chickens etc, or hunting lodge, etc.

• kitty_fra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This has been so helpful and fun! And I do love digdoug's vision! Am I allowed to print it off and show it to potential buyers?

In rural Kansas - yep - digdoug's sketch is the dream home. No neighbors for miles and miles, sturdy as a bunker for tornadoes (or political unrest), low maintenance exterior (metal roof, vinyl siding, no landscaping to fuss over) room for granny and a few cousins who can't keep a steady job..... add a gas powered generator and a pantry full of rations.....

In response to some of the discussion about comps and the realtor's job of reviewing comps - digging back ten years to get even a handful that could be helpful comparisons - none in this exact area as far as proximity to decent job markets, etc. Other realtors before me have also faced this challenge and tried to come up with a solution that fit. It's nearly an impossible way to come up with the price - a very lackluster and poor data pool.

Oh, and for those of you who are enjoying the story of it all......the sellers are in their late 80s and were antique dealers. That explains the super odd mix of furnishings. I had not noticed the chamber pot! I did notice during the walk thru that most of those big pieces of furniture are awesome antiques. But, I love antiques myself. They're huge pieces and they look so insignificant in these rooms.

Now the carpet in the bathrooms? I'm not sure how anyone explains that - except I remember people being thrilled to add it in the 1980s. Lucky for me, we couldn't afford anything like that in the 1980's or my husband would have wall to wall carpeted our hardwood floors. He doesn't like his delicate feet to touch cold surfaces, poor baby. He also would have preferred I put fuzzy rugs on the toilet seats so his tush wouldn't be on a cold surface. (sarcasm inserted) I am woman, I am strong! I prevailed on both those issues! But, it was an ongoing battle for about a decade.

• partim
    4 years ago

Are the owners still living there?

• blueskyquilts
    4 years ago

What kind of internet is available? I would guess both internet and TV are satellite. That works great for TV but not always for internet. If it has something better make sure to mention it. The property could appeal to someone who works from home at least some of the time if the internet is decent.

i don’t think the house is all that bad. The location is the biggest problem. People who are likely to buy this property are likely to be fairly handy do it yourselfers but pictures like the one above might spur their vision.

I think, as many people have said, the house will show best empty. One of the biggest things it has going for it is the open floor plan so structural work isn’t necessary.

How far away are the schools? I didn’t look it up. If the elementary school is only a few miles away indicate that.

• jay06
    4 years ago

I'm thinking that since this thread reveals the exact location of the house and all of the negative comments about it are here for public view when it's Googled, it might not be helpful to your sellers. I know you only want to help, but if it were my house, I'd be upset that it had been opened up to online criticism by the person I hired to sell it, even unintentionally. Just something to consider.

kitty_fra thanked jay06
  • shead
    4 years ago

Dig Doug's schematic looks great but is a minimum of $30K to do. I know because we had to redo our home's exterior in order to sell it last summer and we spent about that. We lived in a HOT suburban market, though, in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation with great schools so our investment paid off tremendously. However, the work we did to the exterior was to make the exterior reflect the previously remodeled interior which included hardwood floors throughout, a new large kitchen with granite and stainless steel appliances, etc. We simply had to get people in the door to see the interior. In this case, though, the buyers would spend $30K to get people in the door to see an interior that needs substantial time and money.

And jay06 is correct, this thread will inevitably appear when the property is google searched. I hope the OP (the realtor) won't be in breech of any fiduciary duties to the seller by posting this.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Perhaps the OP could and should delete her references to location, and anyone else who has posted links to previous listings, or clues to the location, should edit their post to remove them. If those responses aren't edited, then perhaps the OP could ask the mods to edit or remove them. I can't imagine there is much more to add to the discussion unless anyone else is going to provide a sketch of suggested landscaping or interior design.

kitty_fra thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago

In my market professional photoraphy is the norm. It makes a huge difference because they use lights and make sure you can see out the windows in pictures! If you are the first to adopt it in your area, it could potentially be the thing that puts you a step above the rest. People will forget you are new to the biz!

Our photographers can also virtually stage a house too. Of course it costs extra. However, the photo has to say that it is virtually staged so as not to mislead buyers. If you used a image like dig dougs exterior in the listing the same would be true. If you can get people to the house, you could also have a binder of design ideas there for them to look at for inspiration. People need help imagining.

As for the marketing remarks, make sure it jives with the pics. Right now it doesn't. Like others said concentrate on the land and build features you mentioned. "2 x 6 studs, Anderson windows, steel trusses with high ceilings, Wide hallways and doorways with large rooms. Large closets in every room. "

Don't spend $ inside, but do put some BIG pots of flowers out front (before photos) and maybe some hanging baskets too. Maybe a greenhouse will make a deal with you if you can put a sign by the plants to advertise for them?

• Donald
    4 years ago

The ugh factors are:
    No driveway
    How do I get from garage area to front door
    Is this the front door?
    Are there piles of junk on the front porch?

Needs, and it won’t be cheap fixes:
    A driveway
    Walkway from driveway to front porch
    Outdoor furniture on front porch
    I’d extend the front porch out and make a nice sized patio

• kitty_fra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I relisted the darn thing with great photos. Nothing has happened yet - but at least I am very proud of what we were able to do with a small amount of dollars and a week's worth of work. A step in the right direction! Thank you for all of the comments and discussion. I did go back and ask houzz to delete the comments that led directly to the old listing. So if your comment is no longer in the collection - that's why. It doesn't mean I didn't appreciate your input!

• blueskyquilts
    4 years ago

Such an improvement with it empty! You have been busy. Good luck!

4 years ago

Good work, kitty, and good luck!

• Carie Saad
    4 years ago

nothing stands out. but that computer rendering looks better. I'd add more colorful landscaping...flowers & such. white h gray isn't enough

• f1241
    4 years ago

Looks like the upper porch railings need power washed or painted white.
    The stone steps on the side of the house look like an accident waiting to happen.

• elunia
    4 years ago

Nice! Looks so much better—clean, bright and a lovely view. Best of luck!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

That's an incredible pile of stone!!!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

What a patio that stone could make! It does look better than originally. If it doesn't sell now, talk the owner into painting that deck and railing white.

• Larri
    4 years ago

You have done a fantastic job describing the home, and the pictures are great!

Hope your Open House brings your sellers an offer. Happy Houzzing!

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Good work, Kitty. The listing photos look good, nice payoff for your work. Please post an update in a month or two.

• PN _Bos
    4 years ago

following... and hoping it sells ;-)

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

Great job! The pics emphasize the space and views, the house looks clean and livable. The text is much improved, too -- emphasis on size, quality construction and potential uses. Your sellers are lucky to have you as their agent. Fingers crossed your buyer shows up soon.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Wow, what a difference you've made in that listing. I hope you get the sale; you really deserve it!!

• doods
    4 years ago

So, so much better Kitty, congratulations! Wishing you all the best in selling this home. Now, if I was much younger, and lived in the US, I would be tempted!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

It's a survivalist house. Make sure it's seen by that market, though without the acreage that is going to be a problem.

• Lee Baer
    4 years ago

Paint it a more inviting color and puts lots and lots of potted plants to cover the concrete walls. Add a walkway to the front door.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    4 years ago

The main photo on this other listing in the same town cracks me up.

https://www.trulia.com/property/5059528632-Highway-99-Rd-610-Severy-KS-67137

• Nicoco .
    4 years ago

POWER WASH! The entire house needs to be power washed. The concrete siding wall needs to be power washed. This is something so easy to do but makes a huge difference. Power wash the wood railings/posts. Stain them. It will look so much appealing.