Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassie_miller22

Completely lost

Kassie Miller
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Ok so a little back story. I traded houses with my brother literally lol. So I have done a lot in this house lots of paint new floors took some walls down that I could do myself but here is my proble, this living room. It’s dark even though there 3 good size windows so I’m ditching the grey and going white on white with the walls, the room itself measures 21.5x12.5. My dog decided he was going to be a jerk and chew up my temporary furniture lol so getting new or new to me. What would you do in this room. love Farmhouse style and that’s my goal in here. How would you put furniture in here? There is an entrance to the kitchen on one wall an entrance to the hallway on one wall with a door to a bed room on the same wall ( it’s a second door and not used). I also love the idea of 2 sofas instead of a sofa and love seat It looks funny to me in this room. As you can tell I’m completely lost. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Comments (27)

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Your picture didn't load. Try again?

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

View from kitchen

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

View from front door

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

What do you like and dislike about the room? Do you have a budget range in mind for changes? If so, does it cover paint, furniture, flooring, curtains, other?

There are sofas with washable, replaceable slipcovers that many people find dog-friendly. Ikea has several styles.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I think I would be spending money on new flooring and all that dark furniture is gobbling up light for sure Get some good ceiling light not those chandeleirs but good LED lighting with 4000K bulbs and some additional lamps both floor and end table.If you post a to scale floor plan it is much easier for us to get a feel for the space make sure you put measurements on the drawing making sure to mark windows doors and their sizes Use graph paper to make this easier. I sure hopre the walls you took down were checked first to see if they were load bearing.

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m on a tight budget, about $3,000 for furniture, paint, and decor. The hall I took down was a half wall so no structural issues there. The lights are definitely being replaced, actually picking them up this weekend. The furniture must go after my 140 lbs Great Dane got mad and chewed every piece down the wood frame lol. Everything just looks so weird with this layout. I will try to do a to scale rendering.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I'd take up all the rugs and see what's underneath. If its hardwood you could rent a sander and DYI. That would open your budget more. Once the floor is done and you repaint plus the light fixtures, I think you could do it easily farm style with three grand if you go to consignment shops and thrift shops. Oh, and about the floor, you could even paint it and then poly if they're really bad. I did that when I was young and they lasted for years.

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How’s this best I got for now.

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>The rugs were just put down a few months ago as I don’t have the budget to completely replace the all original hardwood floors that’s under the carpet as they are buckling and in very very poor shape
  • Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Painting and fixtures are the only things I’m doing to this room. I have my paint color picked I’ll post a pic of that sample too. This is really about making this really old house look as good as possible. Furniture placement and sizing I have no clue where to start. I had a sectional first there was no good way to arrange it to look proper. The room is just so long.

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The very top white color is the paint color

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also have new curtains the ones in the photo are the new ones. I couldn’t hang rest cause my rods were to short so had to order them. They should be here today. They are a rustic wood rod.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I would do light walls - white or light cream and a light (natural) wood look LVP vinyl tile - which will be practically dog proof and start giving you the look you want.

A color scheme of walls and floor:

Beautiful Homes of Instagram: Coastal Farmhouse Design - Home Bunch Interior Des · More Info

I would go slow on furniture if your dog is still in puppyhood chewing stage - just some light, washable slip covers till tat stage is over. If your dog jumps on the couch or sheds a lot - keep that in mind if couch shopping.

If you are painting over wall paper, please try to take it down first. It is not a good idea to paint over wallpaper.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Just my thoughts, not a pro. I would put a large entertainment center or bookshelves flanking a entertainment console for your tv on the wall with the door you don't use. completely covering it. If you want 2 couches put them facing each other about even with the windows. A sofa table facing the entry door will function as an entry drop off and hide the back of the couch from the entry. Do you have an eat in kitchen. It looks to me like the room is long to also have a dining area near the kitchen. You could do that or add a desk to that side of the room. I can't add houzz photos with my tablet but will give examples later

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do have an eat in kitchen. See this house was built in the 20’s and has been added on to over the years. So the living room use to have a kitchen in it lol. The kitchen is now part of the add on. So I guess it would make sense as to way it’s so big.

A console wouldn’t cover the door unfortunately but an idea I have been kicking around is letting it be an artsy type of thing idk. But I literally had never though to place the sofas across the room. Thinking now that’s a great idea! One of my biggest pet peeves is that there isn’t an actual entrance being it opens directly into the room.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Sounds like your priorities are clear and you are well on your way with new lights, paint color and curtains. What is the rock-like wall covering? If you take off a light switch cover or electrical outlet cover, you can see how thick it is. It might be just thin panels of textured faux rock installed in the 1950's or 1960's.

It would look better to remove it than to paint it if the 1920's walls are still in good shape underneath it.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

With a 140 pound Great Dane who chewed on furniture, you may be able to get some advice from other big-dog owners on Houzz. I suggest you start a new post for that issue, titled something like "Sofas for Great Dane Dogs and their owners?"

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The rock wall is paneling. The walls are just the panels in this room. No dry wall behind it. It’s irritating with the short cut that were made but I guess that’s what happens with old houses I guess. That’s why I wanted this house so bad when my brother said let’s trade I had to jump on it. With recent budget hits I have to slow the process. I had planned on replacing all walls with new drywall and the ceiling. I still plan to but once I get my funds back to where I need them. LOL I took the hitch outta the pup, he got himself a nice new kennel.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Don't buy ceiling-mounted lights. You need lights that will send light straight out and hit the walls head-on, so table lamps and sconces. As important as more light is, eliminating dark shadows is just as important, maybe more. and that can only be done with multiple ligts sources shining from different directions.

If those walls are just panels, replacing them with wallboard would be really cheap and easy and look lots better.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Nice sized room but definitely not a fan of those ornate overhead fixtures that give you little light. Also not a fan of that faux brick/stone wall.

On what side of the house is the dark room located? If it's on the North, you may be "spitting into the wind" to try to lighten the room without recognizing that. Invest in white mini blinds (privacy) and sheers to hang over the glass so you can hang any drape panels beside rather than in front of the glass -- covering the frame and the wall beside the window rather than blocking light from entering it.

Painting the ceiling may be needed -- not just painting the walls. Changing the flooring to a light wood plank or tile would also help and be advisable with an indoor pooch. You can choose a room sized rug for the area you choose to designate as the sitting area rather than new carpet for the entire room.

Do change the current fixtures for a pair of modern ceiling fans -- silver metal, tinted plexiglass blades -- with a light fixture that gives off a lot of life. Than add light in each corner via tall thin lamps or floor lamps with large white shades.

Choose comfortable furnishings in light colors, including for any wood pieces. Smaller pieces will better fit a twelve feet wide room.

Avoid clutter that visually shrinks a room.

Keep a walk path clear from front door to kitchen door. You might set the furnishings in the room to create an "entry" at the door about 5' -- perhaps with a hall tree and/or desk or even a cabinet that could double as a dog house as well as a message center and cell phone charging space -- and use the remaining 16' or so as your sitting area -- clearly the tv will be the focal point of that.

Since, you're on a tight budget, consider making at least a couple visits to Habitat For Humanity Restore Store and see if they might have a comfortable rocking chair or a mid-century modern chair -- lightweight wood furniture that has separate cushions you could have covered or replaced.

Personally, my inclination would be to change the light fixtures and flooring and paint the walls -- and live with the chewed furniture a while longer. New furnishing in a dark room might help a bit but will not solve the problem of the room being dark.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Just curious -- if the question is not too personal: What one thing did you like better about the house you now have than the house you traded for it?

• hollybar
    4 years ago

After having read all your posts, this is how I would proceed

1) de-clutter and toss as much as possible. "When in Doubt,toss it Out"

2)PRIME and paint all walls. Don't believe that one coat of paint will cover,it won't. Fun fact: Primer is typically cheaper than paint BUT in this case, because of the various surfaces, I might spring for a more spendy adhesion primer...depends what those walls are.

3) try cabinet that is between windows as a 'cover' for the extra doorway IF you must cover doorway.

4) extend curtain rods so that your curtains,when open, just meet the glass. This will allow max daylight

5) post new Houzz pics of your improved space along with a floorplan

Good Luck!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Kassie: It's not as much fun remodeling on a tight budget but, if you're careful to not "break the bank", it can still be fun. I do hope you continue to enjoy the challenge..

• Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>After taking all the ideas and putting together the ones that work with what I can do this is what I came up with. I think I’m in love!! I was definitely too close to this project and feeling defeated when I couldn’t do everything I had originally wanted to do that I didn’t think I could really make it nice.
  • Kassie Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ugh the pics aren’t posting I’ll try to fix