Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filth_og

Green Carpet Needs Your Help! :P

Mia og
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Houzz fam! I am so excited to be posting my first thread here. I joined after reading a few different threads about others green carpet dilemma but am hoping I can get even more help for my specific look/layout. ALL feedback is appreciated because I honestly have no idea what I am doing... I am excited to be renting this space, but sadly the green carpet is just not my style and does have to stay so I have to work with it. My general style tends to be moderny-bohoy-glammy and am hoping I can update this space so it feels like home. Thank you for your help!

I would love some feedback on wall colors - this is my biggest issue just because I feel like the white walls, green carpet and brown fireplace just looks super dated. I would also love advice on types and colors of furniture. Throw me whatever you've got! I am like a decor sponge, I want to learn about it all. I also would like to mention that I do not want to cover this space with rugs. Maybe one area rug for under the coffee table, but generally I would like to do my best to keep this place rug free. This is mostly because I have two hairy dogs and rugs/carpet already hold on to so much pet smell.

Thank you everyone! I will update as I go along. Here are some photos -

The light from the doors/windows come in from the West. I hear that matters for pain colors? This area gets most of it's light later in the day and has a good amount of tree coverage so its not a lot of light.

Green Carpet · More Info

View from the right of the windows in the living room - front door is to the right where the light is coming in, you can see this better in the next picture. In this picture the left door goes to the kitchen the right hall goes to bathroom and bedrooms.

Green Carpet · More Info

View from doorway to the kitchen, looking into the living room.

View from the right of the living room. The left door goes to the kitchen the right hall goes to bathroom and bedrooms.

View from the hallway to the right (bathrooms/bedrooms), front door is to the left around the corner.

Comments (8)

• Mia og
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a place I will eventually be renting to own and buying from the owners, so I will be here for many, many years and would really like it to feel like home. Though I cant do everything I want to do now, I do want to do as much as possible. :) Yes I am allowed to paint and am looking for advice on paint colors. I do not want to use white because I feel like the green reflects too strongly.

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

Not the trendiest, but classic, I would try a light khaki ( not greenish ). Benjamin Moore & Sherwin-Williams have several.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Is it correct to assume that the green carpet on extends through the entry, dining area and living room area but includes the short hallway?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I know it's not in favor these days, but I do love the color of that carpet!

• leighanngilson
    4 years ago

I had a house with that color carpet when my children were small. It was great because it didn't show anything. However, that saturated a color can be tiring on the eyes after a few years and it is troublesome to decorate around. I suggest negotiating to replace the carpet at your expense, especially if you will be buying the apartment eventually. It shouldn't be too expensive since the space isn't huge. That way your other choices (wall color, furniture, art) will be easier because you'll be working with your aesthetics. In the event you can't replace the carpet, consider layering an area rug on top to cut down on the large space of dark green. Good luck!

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

-call it emerald. will instantly feel elevated)) I'm serious btw

-can you hang wallpaper? they sell several cool ones that are temporary..easy to take off

-if you can't/rather wouldn't...pick the color that subtly echoes that emerald..soft grey..light bluish green..repetition will make it less prominent. Blend..

you can theoretically go with very strong color that would balance it..but that's very bold and I'm not sure good for the space. but if was a small room..or room with very high ceilings..seal, deep purple..of course one needs to be into that too. THat's purely theoretical though...too big of a space, with standard ceilings.. you'll have to deal with ceilings too when picking a color that's strong and dark. Just thinking aloud..

-so much directions with furnishings..I can see ratttan. and velvet. and leather. and whatnot. you'll need to steer us a bit more..what stores do you like? any magazines/books/blogs you prefer? your favorite colors? anything you can tell us? do you like patterns? if yes which? can you shate inspirational pics?

With art and lights and fabrics and a mix of surfaces..something reflective, something soft.. ..oh it can be a very cool place.

• inabunker
    4 years ago

What is underneath the carpet? You didn't say. I mean, if it's old wood, you're in luck!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!