Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickcsmith

What could this space use?

Nick Smith
4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to put the finishing touches on my living room space. I'm going for a minimalist look so no unnecessary clutter or furniture. I can spend some money, but not a lot. Looking for something aesthetically pleasing and inviting without being in your face with color. Let me know your thoughts - thanks in advance!

Comments (34)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

From a safety and aesthetic point, I would consider another rug/or no rug under the table. I can see it's rumpled. I really like the visual movement of the larger rug :)

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Do you rent or own? The wall art on your TV wall, especially its placement, doesn't work for me. I'd rework that. Perhaps place them in a grid if I were attached to them.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

maybe you could put those 4 wicker pieces on that wall that bumps out in a row down. and re think the tv wall. The tv console seems small in low in contrast to the coffee table. maybe wall mount the Tv and go with a little more narrow console but more umph if you will.

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey everyone, thanks for replies. I have had others say the same thing about the wicker squares, so it looks like they're going. In terms of the tv console, the picture might be misleading but it is actually the same height as the coffee table. I'm kind of attached to the cow hide, so I don't want to nix it just yet :)

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What would you guys put in lieu of those squares? I'm not attached to them but I'm not sure what to put on that wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

To me there is no sense ti lighting up the TV corner. I would consider switching the floor lamp and the plant.

To create a balance in the room I would paint the niche for the TV gray and then place your wall decor lined up in a row IF they are large enough.

• Kelsey Terschak
    4 years ago

Wow, I think you have a beautiful space! I agree with Beverly and like the suggestions she made. To create balance, add more to that wall behind the TV. I wouldn’t change a thing about your dining space! Let the windows do the talking.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

You have a great space. I love natural light. There are a few things that I would change. I like your tv console but feel it is too low for good viewing. I would look for some legs to add to it that would have the same look as your dining set. The pieces you have on the tv wall are placed strange. If you want to keep them place them horizontally above the tv. I like the hide under the dining set but if it is real, pulling out the chairs will eventually ruin it breaking off the hairs. Hides are best in places that get little traffic and wear.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

I also agree that it would be better to have the lighting by you seating than by the tv.

• gurukaram
    4 years ago

Art is what I would put o the TV wall

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Here is diagram for proper height of TV. I think you are OK, but I would consider a larger TV for the room.

• kristamh
    4 years ago

I think curtains would add a layer of texture and softness to the space.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

If you have light-filtering rollup shades, be aware that at night, when you have lights on, your neighbors across the street can see into your place easily. You may want to add some drapery panels you can pull to cover the windows for true privacy.
    I would hang some framed art on the tv wall...those wicker(?) things are a bit odd: they may work in a different spot in a different, more measured, arrangement.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Curtains won't fit well with your minimalist aesthetic, but that window wall, spectacular in daytime, turns into a black hole at night. Some kind of shades, maybe Romans or roller in a color close to the wall color, could help eliminate that.

You've done a beautiful job on this room. IMO, art on the TV wall would fit the vibe better.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Window shades, gallery wall, lamp and plant switched:

• housegal200
    4 years ago

You did a nice job on your apartment. Congratulations on not buying a honking TV screen! You're in the minority. Here are some photos of TV walls with art. Agree the wicker squares don't do the job. Do get art that you like, that show your interests, and preferences.

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The shades are built in so I don't think I add anything else to the windows unfortunately. Luckily, it's a doctor's office across the street so it's empty at night. What do you think of this for the TV wall? Pendant Wall Art Set

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Grover and Housegal have it nailed. I like the west elm set but I think what they are showing will fill the wall up with out clutter. I like grovers fig tree too adds some "life"

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi everyone, I already started to implement the suggestions you made! I think I want to keep the TV stand because it offers great storage and is brand new, but I might mount the TV. Do you have any suggestions on how to select the right size for the wall art on the TV wall? I know the 57% rule, but should I base that on the length of the TV stand or the length of the wall?

Thanks!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I like what you've done so far. I would switch the floor lamp with the end table and table lamp, because you can't access the table light or table top over the back of the sectional. Your TV and console work just fine as they are.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Not a fan of the pendant wall art set but if I were, I'd try to DIY it. Honestly, that looks pretty simple to recreate. Your shades look fine.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Small thing I guess - but your plant seemed similarly shaped, nice near hide rug - instead of near tv. If kept there, maybe something on other side of tv..

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Hey…what going on with the other end of the room?

Where is the kitchen?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Here's a chart for TV screen size and seating distance if you ever replace the current TV.

I think maybe the coffee table is a bit too tall for the sofa.

Paint the TV wall black and add some shelving that goes with your base.

Family Home in Muswell Hill · More Info

• Ellen Tracy
    4 years ago

Your plant might be happier on the window wall. This wall art set (use just three) will look good hung in a straight line either horizontal or vertical. They will add texture.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I would go to etsy, search for digital downloads, and choose a bunch of graphic art. Then I'd get a bunch of cheap Ikea frames, print the art, and arrange it as a gallery wall around the TV.

Set Of Prints Abstract Art Scandi Poster Printable Wall | Etsy · More Info

Scandinavian inspired art prints by InnerWildPrints on Etsy · More Info

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think with the plant I will just move it into the sun when it's sunny...please find below a photo of the kitchen - nothing too interesting. I would like to do a gallery wall or a mini gallery wall. I can paint walls but I would have to paint them back when I move so it might not be worth the trouble. The coffee table is about 1 inch taller than the sofa.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Grover has a very clever idea... simple and can really be changed up when ever.

• Nick Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would you guys do white frames or walnut frames?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

If you simply mount a picture ledge above the TV you can change the images any time.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think walnut frames would be nice to provide some warmth, but I would keep the wall simple with three larger prints. Look for something with color, like your other pieces of art, to provide more interest. If you get art that you love, you an always find a place for it even when you move.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

looks good!