Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caymanbaby29

How to decorate those top cabinets?!

caymanbaby29
4 years ago

So I love my kitchen. But I’m staring at those very top cabinets - the glass front ones and want to put something pretty in them. I was thinking old books with lovely bindings - colours I am using in the room (which can’t be seen in that first pic) are navy, maroon, mustard, with a lighter blue and of course white. I’ve added a pic of pillows that are in my breakfast nook.
I thought the cabinets were high enough I could get away with fake books but HOLY SMOKES those are expensive?! Why? I could find some second hand bookstores and painstakingly search for sure. But thought perhaps I would ask here for some suggestions. What would you do if this was your kitchen?

Comments (28)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Fake books are a thing? Yikes.

Colorful ceramic pieces, like a jug, a bowl, a teapot, that sort of thing could work.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

You could just add a sun catcher to each window -- something that reflects your own personal tastes and interests. By doing this, you can add your favorite colors and change the decorations as the seasons change and/or as the holidays arrive. Use small suction cup hooks to hang them.

The price can range from a few dollars to a lot more. The thicker cut glass is more costly unless you can find it at a thrift store. The smaller more simple ones are usually less expensive than the larger more complicated ones with more pieces and colors.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chloe-Sunflower-Design-Window-Panel-Suncatcher-S/10522609/product.html

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/10.5-H-Stained-Glass-Tropical-Birds-Window-Panel-M/10569870/product.html

http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTU5NDc3Mjgy/Stained-Glass-Water-Cut-Macaw-Parrot-Suncatcher

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Do you have mixing bowls, pitchers, carafes or serving bowls that would look attractive in those spaces? I have my colored crystal glassware in one of my glass-fronted cabinets. I think anything that relates to the kitchen and that is pretty could work there.

• hummingalong2
    4 years ago

It doesn't seem like an appropriate place for books....other than cook books of course. How about a nice piece of pottery on each side. Since they would be high up and behind glass, they wouldn't need to be rare or expensive.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

would install semi-opaque textured glass, then put lighting inside the cabinets

• jkm6712
    4 years ago

I display vases and other colorful pottery.

• drsaj
    4 years ago

Ginger jars

• Jora
    4 years ago

Almost anything BUT books...not even cook books! :)

I vote for keeping it simple, with nice lighting.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Plates. A single standing decorative plate. One THEME. Think Mexican Pottery....one plate to a cabinet door Done!!

NO TO THE BOOKS. Just .............no

Don't be neurotic about pillow matching.

Below? A part of the ever growing Makenzie Child thing...

Interior Design Work · More Info

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I would replace the glass with solid panels. Anything you put up there is going to detract from the cool backsplash. I would use a bold splash of color in something on the counter--bright colored toaster, maybe?

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

If you don't already have precious things you want to show off then remove the glass. The person who had them put in had treasures s/he wanted to show off. BRIGHT colorful dish-wares of one sort or another are all that makes sense in that spot, IMHO.

• tfitz1006
    4 years ago

I'd do blue and white ginger jars.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Wow I can’t seem to get that kitchen working with the coloful pillows thay seem to be in 2 different homes. As for the cabinets light them and add one piece of colorful ceramics or glass in each one thats it and never fake books for crying out loud

• socks
    4 years ago

If you want to do cookbooks, check your local library used books for cookbooks inexpensively. But actually I like Patricia‘s idea above. Keep the cabinets simple, don’t overstuff them. If you have a Home Goods, they have a lot of “stuff” to choose from. You could purchase a couple things and return them if you don’t like, but you probably have things you can put up there. I just had an idea you could make it seasonal. Fall things now holiday items later, etc.

• K R
    4 years ago

I like the idea of navy vases.

• caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for suggestions.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Forget the pillows. Those are an easy switch, pick a palette that honors the splash........you are all over the place : ) The pillows are far less important than the back splash. It looks pale blue on my monitor ! Intensity matters. Frankly, ALL I SAW were the pillows.

Blue and white.....: ) Cobalt stemware.....

I'm sure you are open to a family room, so what's in THERE?

• Gina S
    4 years ago

Do you have over cabinet and under cabinet lights??

If not, start there, for sure.

I'm not sure what is going on with those pillows. Are you just trying to show us the colors you like??

Your kitchen looks really nice. If I were you I would use something I already have .... or let my Mom hand me the boxes of family heirlooms that she has been begging me to take home. There is something special about displaying service ware from my great grandparents. Back in their day having the neighbors over was a huge event where they dressed up and proudly served them home made food on their special dishes. Then they went to the parlor, that no one was allowed in, took off the couch covers, listen to the self playing pianos, told stories and danced.

Ok, I am romanticizing it BUT if you have been given anything like that or if your Mom has something that she doesn't mind parting with ... that is the perfect spot to display it.

You can add some of the lovely things that catch your eye with heirlooms and make it your own. It will be a conversation piece if you do it, IMO.

• caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll post a couple of pics of the entire kitchen as the original one doesn't really reflect it well. The island is walnut and light and pluming fixtures are black. Also the nook has a walnut-y table in it and I thought the pillows and wood would warm the space up.

I just started decorating - its a new house and the garden was my priority - the next room is a dining room (behind where I stood to take first pic) but all there is in there now is a table. I need to get a rug/art/sideboard etc in there too but I had been staring at those glass cabinets while drinking coffee and the phone was so close by to post a question.

The tiles are actually white - the monitor may be deceiving you with blue...

Please forgive the mess - my family is away and I've been reorganizing pantry, cabinets etc.

• caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pillows are just where I left them on the nook table from taking their pic yesterday. Lol

• Gina S
    4 years ago

It's so beautiful!!

Do you know what that flooring is?? Also, I am considering getting a black faucet--how do you like yours?

• caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Gina S - the flooring is natural white oak wide plank. I love them, hide lots and very classic. Get lots of compliments on them. I like the black faucets. I was a bit nervous about them to be honest but they've been great. Go for it! Adds a nice contrast I think

• chloebud
    4 years ago

YES to lighting inside the cabinets, and one item per cabinet door. Keep it simple. Love the glass doors.

• Gargamel
    4 years ago

Maybe only white items (pottery, etc) so it doesn’t compete with your backsplash

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you're wanting to decorate ... why? What is your objective? Know that before you do anything so you don't have costly regrets.

Adding electrical wiring for lighting can be expensive -- new wiring or batteries. Just buying stuff without meaning will not be very satisfying long term.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

First, light them up with LEDs. Then display something large enough to be identified from below. Book titles can't be read from below.

Barrington, RI Kitchen · More Info

J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you're wanting cookbooks, try thrift stores, Habitat for Humanity Restore Stores -- they'll be a good place to find four colorful items to display -- relatively inexpensive so you can change your mind and remove them -- donate them to a charity -- w/o busting your budget.

One item colorful enough to be visible behind each glass is all you need.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES