Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_capaulparker

How to disguise/change huge front arch window?

Jennifer CP
4 years ago

We recently bought this house and love everything about it except the dated 90s huge front arch window. We were thinking of putting on a portico to help distract the eye. At worst case completely remodelling but it would break the bank. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I don't think that anything you decide to do with be inexpensive. Maybe just painting the frames of all the windows black would provide some type of update or retro appearance.

Jennifer CP thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

You could have a half moon installed on the window to match the lower windows. I would (if removable ) remove the muttons and show off a drop dead chandelier.

Jennifer CP thanked functionthenlook
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Muttons?????

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Sorry, I spelled it wrong. Muntins. Window grids.

• nexp
    4 years ago

It does fairly well ruin an otherwise well-proportioned Georgian facade. I would remove it, put a true Palladian or tripartite window in its place in the second story and add a properly-detailed portico (or at least a pedimented door surround).

Jennifer CP thanked nexp
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You are pretty well married to that thing at this point. If it every goes bad, you can either go in with a custom height door, a raised box detail in between, or some combination of the two. I don't mind it much, but it is a bit taller than most palladian windows in terms of relativity.

Jennifer CP thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Henry Sauer
    4 years ago

I think the biggest problem is the large expanse of unbroken glass. If the fake muntins were on the outside it would look a lot better.

Jennifer CP thanked Henry Sauer
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    4 years ago

There's no way to put a portico on without changing that window. Proper landscaping would go a long way towards de-emphasizing it.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

We had two of those in our vacation home, one in front and one in back. I hated them. We removed both of them. The one in back was over a set of french doors flanked by double hung windows, and we replaced it with transoms. The one in front was over double entrance doors, which we removed when we redesigned the front of the house. It now has a single door with side lights on the first floor, and a double hung window with side lights on the second floor. It's a much more classic look, which you could get by replacing it as nexp described above.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

As Windows on Washington stated, you're not hiding or disguising that. Either embrace it or save up to renovate and replace.

• Jennifer CP
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for your ideas!! There is hope yet!

• nicolewickline
    3 years ago

Jennifer CP, what did you end up doing? Would love to see pics. The front of my house is very similar and we're trying to figure out what to do with it. Diana Bier Interiors... would love to see pics of what you did with yours too.

• houssaon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Well this is too late. Did not see that the post was from ten months ago. But here is my 2 cents.

• Krista Bethel
    3 years ago

@houssaon can you see my recent post and tell me where to put my portico? I’d love for you to edit my pic for me!!! I’ll attach it below