Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavina_malani

Hallway leading to open kitchen -Advice needed

Lavina Malani
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

We (me and my husband) are moving to a new house (a resale property) . We like everything about the house, but we have a design issue.

A narrow hallway entrance of the house directly leads to the open kitchen.

I am trying to find a solution to avoid the situation of all guests (and even family) needing to pass the kitchen to enter living room and rest of the house.

Currently I can think of 2 options:

1. Remove the door between hallway and kitchen , and place an L shape room divider to separate the kitchen and kind of extend the hallway, so that entry leads to the living room.

2.We also have a backyard entrance, which we would normally use to bring in bikes etc. We could make that as a primary entrance as the backyard opens directly to the living room.But making it as a primary entrance is not enforceable,esp during winters and rains (we live in Netherlands).

If anyone has a better solution or ideas , I would be keen to hear.

We are open to small renovations, but do not want to move or renovate the kitchen completely

Comments (22)

• D N
    4 years ago

There is an angled single window, just around the corner from the range (cooker) - is there any way that the window can be changed to a new front entry? Then close off your front entry hall and possibly use it as a pantry (food storage). Of course, that would reduce your dining space...

Lavina Malani thanked D N
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Peninsula from the powder room wall "dividing" the room.

A shallow cabinet (with doors -- hidden storage) and fire resistant back to be put against the countertop left of the stove to hide the stove from the living area.

However.

If that countertop left of the stove is not at least 16" wide, add width to the countertop and then a 2" thick fire resistant wall.

• Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@D N Thanks for your response.

This is a good proposition and I would love more storage space/pantry. I was thinking about the same ear but the entryway is too narrow from the angular side. I will check the dimensions in my next visit.

Maybe we will change the orientation of the dining space to make a decent entry substituting the hallway.

• Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@suezbell Thanks for the response. As much as I love the idea of a peninsula, I dont understand how to make it starting from the powder room wall.

Our entry from hallway to the house is through the kitchen. That is our main issue. Creating peninsula is obstructing the entry.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    4 years ago

I think "live with it first" is great advice. The zigzag wall looks like it would be visually disruptive and probably really annoying to deal with.

Lavina Malani thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Where in Holland do you live? I studied for a semester in Rotterdam in the 80's...good advice to live with it and enjoy that garden when the sun is out :)

• Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@thinkdesignlive I live in Rotterdam itself. And yeah we love the backyard garden of the house and it it gets sunlighlt from 3 directions (provided when there is sun).

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Wonderful! Enjoy and good luck in your new home!

Lavina Malani thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYER Perhaps you are right.

I am freaking out because I do a lot of cooking and my kitchen is mostly engaged.. guests or no guests. Hence would like to have it a little separate at least from the entry.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I hear you. But if you cooked 24/7.........passage through it, is but a moment of that 24/7. Live with it, the kitchen and all. You may decide you want a MUCH fulller reno, Save your money to the piggy bank while you wait. The point? don't spend money twice. Spend once, and get a thing you love, that works.

Lavina Malani thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I agree to live with it in my old house we had a lovely front entry and no one ever used it they always came through our back door right into the kitchen. I find no matter how you think your space will function it often does not do what you were thinking. I find everyone always ends up in the kitchen anyway it is just how it is. In my home now when we renovated we actually enter into the DR to the right and straight into the kitchen ahead or caot closet is to the left and the stairs to the walk out . It works great since in this house too everyone ends up in the kitchen first.

Lavina Malani thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • potter99
    4 years ago

Jan Moyer’s advice to live with the open plan for now is solid, but a large rectangular movable island could be enough to stop the eye from focusing on kitchen mess, give added storage & work space. Plus give you an opportunity to understand whether you want a wall that blocks you off from site lines & natural light when you’re working in the kitchen.

Lavina Malani thanked potter99
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I agree; see how it actually functions for a year or so while you save up your guilders. It may be fine as is, or you may hate it. You'll know what to do when the time comes, and you will have based your solutions on the reality of how it works and what you need to do differently to live here happily ever after..

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

For some reason the eye wanders to the mess - potter99. Even in my own home, that is where my eye wanders.

• Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shirlpp that is so true. Especially as I do a lot of cooking.

On bright side, it could be an excuse to keep it mess free always.Let's see.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Is that not your entry by the stove?

OR

Is that "hall" your entry? If so, your powder room is the problem and needs to be removed/moved

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Entering thru the back/kitchen door: "Backdoor guests are best."

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Is there a way you could use something like an open IKEA bookcase to simulate a wall? It could allow light to pass through while still providing a bit of a "hall" directing traffic to the living areas rather than the kitchen? It would also be an inexpensive way to see if you want a more permanent solution or not.

Lavina Malani thanked Kristin S
  • Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@suezbell the hall is the entry. Indeed the powder room is not best placed. Let see what we can do about it.

• Lavina Malani
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S I was actually thinking of the room divider panels (not very high), but a narrow book shelf is also a good idea. Can be used for some storage and decoration too.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you shorten the countertop where your sink is located and move your refrigerator over (perhaps enlarging what appears to be a closet accessible from hallway in the process, then you could begin your "peninsula" at the wall between the fridge and hallway. You wouldn't need a full 2'deep kitchen cabinet peninsula. Just add a waist high or taller shelving unit with glass doors facing the kitchen side and wainscoting type paneling on the back. You add storage to replace the under cabinet storage you lost by cutting the countertop and base cabinets short and you gain a room divider. You could even add overhead cabinets the same debt, leaving a pass thru or look thru between that closet wall and the end of your peninsula -- even add a supporting post at the end to better define the different areas, thus creating create a tall narrow (mop/broom or spice) cabinet within a hollow post. You could curve or angle the cabinet as needed as it nears the powder room wall even make it "L" shaped and use the part of the "L" between kitchen and dining as a "bar". Just make sure you can still open your fridge doors all the way -- even if that means replacing the countertop to move the sink over, too.

Lavina Malani thanked suezbell