Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Hortico has Chandos Beauty

And others have been made available too ! I ordered chandos and “ you’re beautiful “ . I was so happy to get both as palantine didn’t have you’re beautiful again this season . It was so pretty on Instagram I had to have it . I may add “Jessica “ to my order too if anyone grows that and can tell me if I should ?

Happy shopping !!

Comments (39)

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Ooohh... so tempting!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just noticed Chandos Beauty too, and got one for me, one for a friend, one for insurance in case either of them croaks.

• Magnus - England
    4 years ago

Chandos has an incredible fragrance so I hope you're ready for it!

• sabalmatt_tejas
    4 years ago

I love the fragrance of Chandos! I can’t smell a number of rose fragrances, but Chandos is strong and intoxicating.

• User
    4 years ago

..as much as I like this rose, it blackspotted and defoliated for me in August... but one expects that here...

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Thank you for your comment Marlorena. After looking up this one up I was already trying to figure out where to place her, she is just gorgeous. In helpmefind she has excellent reviews for disease resistance, but if it defoliated in your garden I guess it wont work in my garden.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

I went through their list and haven't seen anything that I want to order yet. Do you see any nostalgic petal-packed roses or unique looking roses on their list? Helen

4 years ago

I have wanted this rose for years, but my timing was never right. A lady who grew over 200 HT varieties in Dallas said it was her top performer, so it must be great for the American South.

But just in case, I always have my fungicide arsenal at the ready.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Helen , did you see “jessica ?” It looks unique . I didn’t see much either , oh let me send you on Instagram “ your beautiful “ . I think April grows it .

Ben I am so glad you got chandos !! I had it in Tennessee and really liked it . Enough that I remembered that I needed it again !!

Dianela .. if you are making an order from them , I would recommend it. I can’t remember it’s health but I remember it’s beautiful!! I think for $20 if you find it too unhealthy it won’t be the first or last rose like that :)

england is much different climate than the south ! I’m sad it didn’t work for you Marlorena !!

• User
    4 years ago

..oh that's ok... and Dianela don't let me put you off, it's a fabulous rose... and I correct myself in that it didn't defoliate until early September, about 3 weeks ago...

...it actually still had great foliage at the end of August..

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Thanks Lily. It's a beautiful rose. Helen

• katyajini
    4 years ago

any other super fragrant, high performing roses on the hortico list? Sorry I dont know my roses so well. It seems though the price of shipping for several roses is the same as for one, soooo. I could not find if the roses are grafted, bare root or own root and what size? Or even when they ship. Where should I look?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Katya , they are grafted and smaller than what you get from others as they are in a shorter growing season . They still catch up just fine and do great! I just remember being shocked at the box size and amount of roses in there . Another thing about them is their shipping time can vary based on their weather . They aren’t like other companies but not in a bad way !! They just have to do things different. You’ll get them just fine !! Also she will give a discount marked on your invoice if the roses are smaller than they prefer .

I enjoy my order with them every year!!

Sorry I don’t have any other rose recommendations from them . I had to quit looking hard st the list as that just makes me want more ! Lol

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Thanks Lily. I will communicate with them.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Thanks Lilyfinch for this recommendation. Just placed an order for 2 of these roses. Love its color and form. Looks similar to Johann Strauss, which is a favorite of mine. Have to get two so I have enough flowers for cutting. Hope they will bloom well for me too.

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Lily, I order two! thank you so much for this post.

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Lily: Typically the rose you get from hortico, is it mature enough to bloom the season you plant it? I know that some roses simply cant but in general are they big enough roses? Do you think my chandos beauty might bloom first year?

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Katyajini, Hortico sends out budded roses. Chandos Beauty is a traditional HT. You should EASILY have blooms the first season it's planted.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yes they will bloom!! :)

4 years ago

I placed my order for Chandos on Sept 25 which I believe was the 1st day they listed it ( I know because I’m obsessed and checked every day). I got a order confirmation the same day.

Today I got another note:

”Hello,

THank you for your online order amd apologies for my delay.

It has been a busy fall here I am a bit behind on processing and filing my online retail orders.

I do have your order stored in the system and once things settle I will start to process and file rose orders for 2020.

I just wanted to touch base to let you know we do have your order.

Altough I cannot guarantee availability of varieties I will let you know ASAP if the order cannot be filled.
    Good news is I have been told based on field counts the roses are looking great! We had optimal weather this year, wet spring, hot summer and fall has been seasonal with normal precipitation.

Harvest is usually done by mid November.

Once I process and file orders I will be in touch.

Thanks for your patience!”.

I’m glad they had a good season, I hope they planted tons of Chandos Beauty, since we all want some!

• katyajini
    4 years ago

roseseek and Liliy thank you! I can look forward to something special.

BenT: I got the exact same email from Hortico. I wrote back that I hope they will work on first come first serve and that I really want those roses. They wrote back:

I do my best with first come first serve!

I have yet to process anything however quickly looking at orders I have many for this rose!

I have already removed it from the site as I do not want more orders for it.

uuuuh! I should have ordered three.

mossy, thank you for that picture! I wonder have you seen Marlorena's pictures of CB? She gets a slightly different color, also very beautiful.

• mossy44_z7bwa
    4 years ago

Katyajini - the above photo was from August, here's one from September.

4 years ago

Thanks Katya. I wrote her the same, hoping she’d process by ‘first come, first serve’, that would only seem fair.

Mossy,

Your pic is beautiful, and lucky you to have received one last year.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

I also got the same message. If I don't get Chandos Beauty, I hope that Moonlight in Paris from Endmunds roses will be a good substitute.

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Mossy, dont you just love that color too? I am really looking forward to this rose!

• mossy44_z7bwa
    4 years ago

I do, but I have a real soft spot for pink.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Well, it is final! Hortico sent me email saying that Chandos Beauty will not be available 2020. They may have it for 2021.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh no Karen !! That makes me so sad. I haven’t Gotten the email yet but I’m sure it’s coming . Darn darn darn darn

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Me too, I got THE EMAIL. No Chandos Beauty for me. I was so confident that I am going to get CB, I ordered so early....I even had it planned exactly where it would go.

4 years ago

I’m so sorry, Karen and Katya. Your posts made me double check my inbox for THAT EMAIL from Hortico, so far nothing yet. I did get an email from Palatine just today that Double Delight was grown in their ‘problem‘ field, and won’t be available. Hope that’s the last of the bad news!

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch and BenT, I hope that at least you guys get CB. Perhaps they only have a few to sell and only the first orders will be filled. As you haven't gotten the email, there's still hope!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

This is a gorgeous rose and good for the South? Then, I must try to find it. I'm working on getting more blushes and creams this spring.

4 years ago

Hi Folks

I heard from Nicole at Hortico that only 4 little plants of Chandos Beauty were harvested for this season, and there was some extreme demand for it. Yikes. I was lucky enough to get one, very thankful for that, but sorry that it was sold out for others. I know the disappointment because it was sold out for me last season. They do plan to offer more of it next year.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ben , we must have been on the same wavelength today bc I honestly called her but was told she was on her lunch break ! I hope I get mine , I’ll call tomorrow as soon as I can . If not we will drool over your photos!

will they be shipping soon I wonder?

4 years ago

Jen, fingers crossed you get one, too! She said they’d ship in the first spring shipment(feb/march) , as their weather was not conducive this year for fall delivery.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh man I am so upset. She said she missed emailing me . Even though My order was in early , someone ordered 3 ( Ben !! Haha ) and someone else was on the waiting list from the year before so I lost mine . What a bummer. I’m more upset than I should be . But I’ll get over it .

4 years ago

Oh dear, don’t hate me ,Jen and everyone else, for being a Chandos Beauty glutton! . Honestly only one of them is for me, the other two are for two friends who asked me to order for them. I originally an additional one for me for insurance, but a friend really wanted one, so I told her she could have it. I did the same with Augusta Louise , same two friends wanted one. (Ducks and hides)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Well Ben I suppose I’ll forgive you as long as you share photos !! Haha

of course I could not be mad at you! I am sad I’m not getting it , after having hope when I didn’t get the email. But this frees up some money to order some clematis from brushwood ! :)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living