Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mettebee_copenhagen8b

Help me decide what to do

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have inherited this red rose in my front garden. It's probably a Santana or Flammentanz. It's 3 meters tall and still blooming in late September. The problem is that I don't like it! It's too warm a red and I like cool reds like Henri Martin or dark reds like Munstead Wood. It is also without scent.Am I crazy to want to shovel prune this old rose? And what should I plant instead?Let me know what you think.I'm in coastal zone 8b in Denmark, usually mild winters and cool summers but it may get hot for a few weeks.

Comments (22)

• 4 years ago

• 4 years ago

Thanks, Kristine. You are probably right. When I can figure out how to post photos maybe I can get some suggestions for alternatives :)

• 4 years ago

I agree, go ahead and replace the rose. If it’s healthy and you still don’t like it, then that means you’ll probably never like it.

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 4 years ago

Mette . . . Try reducing the size of the photos. That can make a difference on this site.

As for your question . . . Years ago, we were given a very fine rose, 'City of San Francisco'
    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.32147

It is the most incredibly saturated flaming red I've ever seen in a rose, and no matter where it was in the garden, you couldn't NOT look at it. It was like having a huge stop light in the middle of the garden.

Though it was floriferous and disease-free, we removed it, without regret.

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked jerijen
  • 4 years ago

I agree—-if it doesn’t make your heart leap for joy, it doesn’t belong in your garden.

Is there a way you could pass it on the someone else? It might make another Gardener very happy. :-)

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 4 years ago

Thank you for the advice and your story, Jeri! I still cannot post photos but will try again tomorrow.

Like you I think this type of red is too dominating. The other flowers in my front garden are softer and more easily matched with other colours.

• 4 years ago

The only problem, is after you remove the rose, sometimes you miss it.

• 4 years ago

Can you move it somewhere else ?

• 4 years ago

I was able to post a photo! See first comment. The rose doesn't have very pretty shape, but it has some basals that might be useful for recreating a nice shape. I might be able to move it to my 'nursery' in the back of my garden.

But what to plant instead? My first instinct is Mme Alfred Carriere. It should be something that repeats.

Hit me with your favourite climbers!

• 4 years ago

My favourite climbers are Erinnerung an Brod (though it is a once bloomer) and Ghislaine de Feligonde. If there was a rose similar to Erinnerung but with repeat flowering, I would plant that. Does such a rose exist?

• 4 years ago

Orfeo?

Below is Souv du Docteur Jamain

They both rebloom.

• 4 years ago

Ooh, I like the look of both of them, ! My favourite rose nursery says that Dr J gets to 120 cm (4 feet). What is your experience? What is the rose next to Dr J? The pale yellow?

• 4 years ago

By the way, lovely garden you have!

• 4 years ago

Looking at your picture, with the windows and wall, I think it's made for 'Clg. Etoile de Hollande'... but you might suffer rose replant disease for a while....whatever you put in there... unless some serious amendments are made....

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked User
  • 4 years ago

Lavender Crush is a purple climber with excellent repeat and extraordinary fragrance. I’m not sure about its availability in Europe. It grows to about 10 feet for me.

• 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, BenT. As expected it doesn't seem to be available here.

Has anyone grown Wrams Gunnarstorp? It's more pink than red but it is a contender. It might be the same as American Beauty clb.?

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.37517

• 4 years ago

At Marlorena: I haven't been gardening long enough to experience rose replant disease. I have read that you can counter it by amending the soil and using something called Rootbooster?

• 4 years ago

MetteBee..... that's what I do... exactly that...it does help but I have found it doesn't always eliminate it completely.... but yes it does speed up recovery...

• 4 years ago

MetteBee. My Souv du DJ is about 4 ft. It has a no ID yellow and Crepuscule with it in that bed. I think you are seeing my unnamed yellow that was supposed to be Alchymist but is not. I have Erinnerung an Brod and love that rose too. It does not rebloom here either and it is nice to have some rebloom.

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 4 years ago

Thank you everyone! I am still pondering and will probably continue to do so for months...

I have a puzzle on my hands fitting in the roses I moved with me to the new house (is that a Danish saying? Now I am suddenly wondering). And maybe I should see the red roses suggested to me in person before buying any. Will let you know what I end up with!

• 4 years ago

Sheila, your Souv du DJ is absolutely stunning. What a color. Orfeo is gorgeous, too. Diane