Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gianna_mauro

How much clearance do I need between medicine cabinet and wall?

summer sault
4 years ago

Hello!

We're looking at installing a 48'' vanity with double sinks and we'd like to place 2 20'' mirrored medicine cabinets above each sink. In order to be centered over the sink itself, it looks like the cabinet will need to be very close to the wall on the one side of the vanity. I think I will have the medicine cabinet open from the middle but I'm still wondering if I need to account for horizontal clearance between the wall and the medicine cabinet?

thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First a 48” vanity IMO should not have 2 sinks you will literally have no counter a lot more important to have counter space than 2 sinks.The medicine cabinets have to have enough space to open or get ones that open up

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Fresca makes some double-sink 48" inch vanities (example wall-hung in gray, example free-standing in gray). The medicine cabinet is narrower (39-1/2") so the doors can be opened within the vanity's horizontal space.

• User
    4 years ago

The Fresca sink reminds me of the old laundry double sinks on the farm minus the scrub board. No counter space at all.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You might want to consider IKEA vanities for such a small space, however, I agree that two people getting ready in 48" of space doesn't lead to happy people.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

"The Fresca sink reminds me of the old laundry double sinks on the farm"

Yeah, and the wood stove was always burning the vittles, you never were sure whether the Model T would fire up, and whooo!, those midnight trips to the outhouse. Brutal!

• User
    4 years ago

Don't you mock those old wood stoves. The vittles were sure good. ;-)

• summer sault
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for the replies. we are going with ikea cabinets with Kattevik sinks. this question is about the medicine cabinet however

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Well, if you're buying the 48" IKEA cabinet, why not get the 39-3/8" wide IKEA STORJORM Mirror cabinet? The relationship between the width of the IKEA cabinet and Mirror cabinet would be the same as the relationship between the Fresca vanity and medicine cabinet, mentioned above, which allowed the medicine cabinet doors to fully open.

OR get two of the 15-3/4" wide GODMORGON or LILLÅNGEN cabinets which have single doors that provide full access (per the pictures) when the cabinet doors are opened 90 degrees.

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    3 years ago

Mirrored medicine cabinets are a great storage option that does not necessarily look outdated if you find an adaptable design with functionality. And some have customization size options. For example, you can also get customized sizing where cabinets can be ganged together. For example, two 12 inch cabinets ganged together or two 15" ganged together would work where you can add lighting as an option and have interchangeable left or right open doors. It gives you alot of storage over your vanity. They can be recces or surface mounted. And some of these mirrored medicine cabinets have integrated LED lighting, which can also offer a nightlight with dinner function. So, you will not only have lighting from your main bathroom, but an additional light source. I hope this helps.

• Peke
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Patricia is right. Counterspace is more important for most people. How many times per year do two people use the sink at the same time in your house? (Hmmm, maybe two teenage girls would, but they could share one.) A single sink in the center would be much better. I have room for double sinks, but only one person at a time would use them, so I have a single.

Can you recess the medicine cabinets? Have you seen the medicine cabinets with sliding doors?

If you have 2 mirrored doors that fold back in to the center, you could have a three way mirror with storage behind all three mirrors. The side mirrors would be smaller. I believe they used a continuous hinge (piano hinge) on my mirrored cabinets.

In my previous house, the medicine cabinet was NOT recessed, and I always hit my knuckles on the cabinet when turning on the water. It should have been installed higher.

Do you have two walls on the two sides of your vanity? Or do you have only 1 side wall? You could put a recessed medicine cabinet on one or both side walls that open toward the main mirror. That would also give you a three way mirror. Women love these for doing hair and for that question..."Do these jeans make my....? Never mind.

I wonder if you could have a hole drilled in the mirror for a knob. Is it tempered glass? You wouldn't need hand clearance to open the cabinet. Consider leaving either no space or a little space so you can get a paint brush back there. We had a vanity cabinet that had a quarter inch of wall space that needed painted. What a pain that was!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH