Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jetsinla

Custom made Interior Doors

Joe
4 years ago

I have an 80s condo that I'm slowly updating. In the master, the vanity is open to the bedroom and I want to add small french doors so I don't have to look at it if I don't want to but the size does not accommodate a Home Depot/Lowe's pre-hung door.

I don't really want advice on if I should get the doors or how I could renovate the space as I've settled on what I plan to do but I can't seem to find out HOW to get the doors?

Call a contractor? Most don't seem to want little jobs if they call back.

Go to a door place? (but they all seem to be for exterior doors mostly).

A carpenter?

A handyman?

Order them on the web?

There are millions of pictures on the web of what I want. Where do they all come from?

Like this....

Comments (23)

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

If I understand the question...if the space in which you want to add the french doors is not a standard size, you would likely need a custom order. That could be achieved through a local artisan or online, or a local artisan who is also online. Our standard size, builder grade French doors are from Bayer Built, our custom-sized doors are from a woodworker I found on Etsy.

Joe thanked Kirsten E.
  • Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kirsten, thank you for responding.

I don't mean to sound obtuse but when you say local artisan, what do you mean? This is where I'm bogged down. I just don't know how to successfully search this to find a local person who could make and install the doors.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

You’re very welcome; happy to help! When I say local artisan, I mean a local woodworker/custom doormaker, as opposed to a large company like HD. Throughout our build, I’ve actually found that small/local shops can be far more cost effective while also providing a more custom result. I’d start on Etsy.com because that doesn’t limit you geographically. Custommade.com allows you to post projects and have people bid. I’d also google something like “custom French doors (insert your city here)” and see if anything comes up. What measurements are you working with?

Joe thanked Kirsten E.
  • Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, I will look on Etsy and try your google recommendation for "near me".

The opening is about 48" x 80 and 48" doors are plentiful but the rough opening required is larger so I figured a custom size would be needed to fit my opening because I have no intentions of getting into structural work and getting down to the studs. That I am certain I have no interest. Honestly, I don't even need these doors. I live alone. I don't need privacy or a way to not wake someone sleeping. . I just wanted it to look nice.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

Hmmm, if it’s not for personal need, it might not be worth the expense that often comes with a custom order. Very personal choice though, and could be useful for resale if that’s any value. Have you considered a sliding door? Since privacy isn’t a concern, that might be a good middle ground.

Joe thanked Kirsten E.
  • Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kristen, I did consider it but the majority of the time, I'd probably leave them open.. Also, I thought it would limit the size of the opening if they were sliding. I've also considered a barn door but I wanted it to look more finished. I should have added originally that when they are open, I would like them to swing open passed 90 degrees and out.

• Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hallett, a lumberyard sells doors and in custom sizes, really? I can do that. I'll go this week. Thank you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

you could also do a sliding door. doesn't have to be a barn door, you could use nice doors. this could work if you have room on either side

this would be an easy way to get around your rough opening.

But, if the opening is 48" (4') you need a 4' french doors, basically something like this

It's easier (cheaper) to have someone come in and frame out your rough in to accept the doors, then getting a custom sized door made to fit your opening.

Joe thanked Beth H. :
  • Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, thank you, yes, this is exactly what I want but with frosted glass.

Do you really think it's easier to open the rough opening or did you mean get a smaller door and close up some of the opening?

"It's easier (cheaper) to have someone come in and frame out your rough in to accept the doors, then getting a custom sized door made to fit your opening."

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

you didn't provide pics, but I think I can imagine what you have. is it somewhat like this opening?

can you bring in someone to frame out that opening in order to fit the pre-made doors?

for instance, lets say I wanted to put doors on this one (this is a rental home that we fixed) obviously it's taller than 80", so I'd reframe that portion on top so that the 80" door would fit.

(the before!)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Adding doors will not be cheap. Have you considered putting a rod and drapery over opening?

• Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, yes, that's exactly how it looks.

I guess I don't know what "frame out" really entails. The plumber (for what it's worth) said the wall was holding up the attic floor so I didn't want to mess with trying to make it wider. It's hard when you don't really understand statements like "redistribute the load". In general terms I got burned once so if I don't really understand it, I won't let someone do it.

I'm going to google re-framing a door. Thanks very much!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Or some panels such as these.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

if you could post a picture with the measurements, it might be easier to give you some advice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Panels like these would work too

• Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, thank you. I will on Monday. I'm away for the weekend and only have some generic shots on my phone that don't really show the wall, just the disgusting melamine vanity. :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

sounds good. I like the first glass panels Flo posted too. if you have more of a contemporary style, this would be a good option. probably not the cheapest option, but if you have the room on either side, you could do a type of slider like that.

• Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo, thank you. I think of you all the time when I tell friends about layering lighting. I learned a lot from you in that thread and I hung my sconces right at my eye level!

There's a slider in this room and I thought about matching the vanity opening with whatever I cover the slider with but I want it to be more permanent. I think a proper door will make a huge difference in the appearance of the room once its done.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I agree, Joe, a permanent solution would be superior. I was just looking for a easier, less expensive solution. So nice of you to give me that feedback on "layered lighting". Awesome! I think Beth's concept of setting up the enclosure for a "standard size" door is great too. Just make sure to measure to make sure if you have a tub in that bathroom, it could be removed if needed down the road. I guess it could always be cut down to exit space but I always think of these darn things. Guess I have seen too many problems! lol Best of luck. I think a trip to a good lumber yard would be a good use of your time. You will get a lot of good information and potential solutions.

• Joe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you all. I went to two lumber yards in the area on Tuesday and I was turned away at both -- because they only work with trades and not direct to consumers.

I thought this door would be a nice addition but it's not required so I'm taking the path of least resistance and putting it on the back burner or doing a treatment I can do myself -- maybe a curtain but probably a barn door if I can find an appropriate size. Stressing the if there. LOL

I think I've said this before but I can't believe at this stage in my life that I was so naive in thinking that you could just go to places of business, tell them what you want, they would do the work and then you'd pay them. No more extra projects for me!

Sorry for the little rant but I dislike when OP's never come back to give a final update and it just seemed a part of it.

Sincere thanks all!!!

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Joe, most "standard size" doors can be "cut down" along any of the edges to fit your opening. Yes, the drywall will have to be cut away to expose the studs on both sides and at the top of the opening in order to mount the jamb (frame that hold the doors). After the jamb is in and the doors are hung, trim is installed all around the new door. It's a fairly easy job. Ask at the lumber yard, "I need a referral to someone competent to trim down and install an interior door". Find your guy, then look on Wayfair for the doors. Good luck.

Joe thanked chiflipper
  • scottie mom
    4 years ago

Sorry you had a bad experience. What you need is a good carpenter who can deal with the lumberyard/ door vendor, trim out your opening, and install the doors. You still haven’t shared a photo, but it sounds like you have an uncased opening, meaning drywall corners and no trim. It’s not just a thing you can buy or order, but it can be done. Maybe find out who’s had good work done in your condominium. It’s specialized and might well seem prohibitive as a one-off project. For things of this scale, you might wait until you have more carpentry work you want done. If the trades are as busy where you live as they are in most areas, it will indeed be difficult to get someone to commit to a small and potentially fussy project. Good luck.

Joe thanked scottie mom