Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shauna_gallenberg

Clock too small for the wall space?

Hi! My husband and I are in the midst of some remodeling and we are trying to find a spot for this oversized clock (yes I understand it’s not everyone’s taste for wall decor but, we love it ) . It was too large over our loveseat in our living room and so now, I cannot decide if it’s not big enough for our dining room ... the clock itself is more then half the width of the table ... But overall, does it look proportionate in the space ? (Please excuse the mess!)

Comments (35)

• mindshift
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It is definitely NOT too small for the space.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Who wants to be reminded of the time while they are trying to relax and have a nice dinner with friends? Nobody. Clocks like that, in public areas of your home are very unwelcoming. "My, my, look at the time!"

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

The size is perfect.

I think the OP made it clear that she wasn't asking for opinions as to a clock's "suitability" in the space. And while I understand the notion of enjoying a leisurely meal without regard for time, this clock is more sculptural than anything.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a pro.

I think it looks small on that wall because it needs to be grounded. Maybe a narrow console beneath it will help.

Pool House · More Info

Whole House - Transitional Flat · More Info

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

It doesn't fill the wall enough, imo. The size works but it's too sculptural. That wall needs more heft, imo. In both of njmomma's pics, the walls are shorter and one has texture. ETA: I would finish the room and reevaluate. You might find adding artwork on each side fills the wall enough.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s not a functioning clock (no hands) .... it is more a sculptural piece from Magnolia Market ... I understand it’s not everyone’s taste but , it is ours. Thank you to those who advised regarding the size and scale to the wall and the space , much appreciated !

• User
    4 years ago

Might have guessed Magnolia Market. Clocks and words.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

I like it in your dining room.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

It looks fine to me.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Yes, the clock fits, but it's not the least bit interesting.

Almost anything would be more interesting to view in this great looking room.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I think the size is fine. I really like the idea of a buffet/table underneath as NJmomma suggested. You could also incorporate other things with it.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Clocks, shutters, family portraits......they bring out the best in designers lol

I feel it's your home and you need to be happy to come home and enjoy what you have chosen. It need not be perfect or interesting to anyone but you.

If you put the words "extra large clock" into the search box on Houzz, you wil find that so many other people have had their rooms decorated with these large clocks.

I find them interesting, especially if they work lol We are in such a digital world these days, a clock is refreshing.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I don't think it's the right size/heft to hang alone in the middle of that wall. I think you need something below it and something tall on the wall....not necessarily this but part of some kind of arrangement:

Or with more things on the wall as grapefruit shows above.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

View to me has the ceiling light causing more imbalance of scale. Fireplace has large presence, and clock does too... so in a way, it's fine. How about a chandelier instead? Good 'luck' to you !

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Good point about the ceiling light, everdebz. Don't think the OP has finished the room though.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

To bring attention to dining, a neutral rug with bits of brights ?

Safavieh Mystique Collection MYS923 Rug, Grey/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/studio-seven-mystique-rug-gray-multi-8x10-prvw-vr~85568725

• everdebz
    4 years ago

As you know, there are many border colors -

Bordered Handwoven Sisal Style Jute Rug, Dark Cherry, 8'x10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/bordered-handwoven-sisal-style-jute-rug-dark-cherry-8x10-prvw-vr~38978211

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I'd be fine with our OP saying so... [With several comments about size, I had to say my part that it's not the clock so much as the light. ]

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

The size seems fine, but the piece seems a bit lonely on that wall. I'd add a "skinny" table underneath - on it, add a lamp on one side and an arrangement of something green on the other - like this

• georgiabluet
    4 years ago

I agree with those who think the clock does look proportionate and works well so far. Good size and mass that complement without completing with the table and fireplace. And coordinates very nicely with your chairs.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input and advise ! We do plan to install a chandelier centered on the table as well ... and possibly add an area rug under the table... among quite a few other things to complete the room
    :)

• rnonwheels
    4 years ago

It appears the correct size to me too Shauna, will it have some neighbors on the wall or is it standing alone? I think you will make it work in the room- I love how it works with the metal chairs! Also love the first pic in grapefruits post!

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Again, me with a tangent, but please.... if clock has contemporary big and non-working / fp is rustic / a large block of orange-red could complement and let clock/fp be more.

Hand Knotted Loom Wool Area Rug Contemporary Orange · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/rugsotic-carpets-hand-knotted-loom-wool-contemporary-area-rug-orange-8x11-prvw-vr~103866985

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Last ! or more elegant direction ...

Dense Peony Tree Of Life Area Rugs, Blue, 9'x12' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/dense-peony-tree-of-life-area-rugs-blue-9x12-prvw-vr~89403987

• everdebz
    4 years ago

W 60.13" / D 16.13" / H 32.13"

Mestler Sofa Table in Rustic Brown · More Info

Safavieh Glacier Collection GLA125 Rug, Blue/Multi, 8'x10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/glacier-area-rug-blue-multi-prvw-vr~85536396

https://www.houzz.com/products/mestler-sofa-table-rustic-brown-prvw-vr~86281426

• everdebz
    4 years ago

4 colors / W 60" / D 10" / H 30"

Farmhouse Sofa Table, Aqua · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/farmhouse-sofa-table-aqua-prvw-vr~71033280

• everdebz
    4 years ago

This reminds me of chair style and clock.... as a planter [s] near fp?

W 22.44" / H 25.79" / 5.5 lbs. Made from durable galvanized iron, this shelf can be displayed in your home or outdoors on your patio...keep your refreshments cool.

25.79"H Farmhouse Metal Industrial Shelf · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/2579h-farmhouse-metal-industrial-shelf-prvw-vr~103117282

• everdebz
    4 years ago

instead of typical console [is it un-needed?] -- if you found 3 very similar stools or metal end tables, maybe they'd be casual cool placed under the clock...

Garden Stools, 2-Piece Set, Galvanized Ridges · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/regal-garden-stools-galvanized-ridges-2-piece-set-prvw-vr~114116567

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

I agree with Olychick , the clock needs to be part of a grouping, I would move it to the right and add 2 other pieces of art or wood/metal to the left. I would also add a wood side board under the grouping. If the table top is wood I would leave that exposed and remove the table cloth.

• sondramartina
    4 years ago

Idea

Charity Project - Veterans Aid Hostel · More Info

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

"this oversized clock (yes I understand it’s not everyone’s taste for wall decor but, we love it )"

I am repeating and bolding OP's statement. It might be skipped over the way IdaClaire's helpful reminder was but the other option is to flag comments. There is no wall decor police. A stranger on the Internet has something on their wall you find uninspiring? It's fine. It really is. The world keeps turning and your own wall art is unaffected. OP didn't ask for anyone's opinion on this clock. They asked about size and fit. No value judgment on the piece was requested. Does anyone go into a friend's house and disparage their wall decor? Why would it be ok to do it when a stranger on the Internet shares a picture of their room?

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I agree with you, tartan. The only time -- and I mean the ONLY time -- I can see where it's appropriate to disparage the choice of another is when it's clearly a crappy attempt at spamming us with a product and not an authentic query in keeping with the purpose of this forum. We're all astute enough to recognize that nonsense when we see it, and insulting an obvious spammer is akin to insulting a bot, IMO.

I do note that many if not most of those who consistently make snotty comments about the HOMES of others have never shared photos of their own homes, depicting their own (probably cherished) choices, here.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Shauna, this can be ignored and/or I can delete it - a large light, but 'open' could bring balance. W 22" / D 43" / H 13"

Forte 6 Light Oval Chandelier, Antique Bronze · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/forte-6-light-oval-chandelier-antique-bronze-prvw-vr~94006544

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!