Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_901876704

Scrape or Shiplap 1980’s vaulted ceiling? Need advice ASAP please.

Buffy Arrington
4 years ago

Contractor is coming next week to scrape this popcorn ceiling. He suggested I ship lap over it to save money, time and the amount of time we will have to be out of the house. This is a Florida townhouse built in 1983. I like painted ship lap but I’m not sure it goes with this style home. Please advise.

Comments (26)

• tatts
    4 years ago

You don't shiplap ceilings! That will look stupid in a house like that. And if he doesn't scrape the popcorn off first, the joints won't align properly and it will look wobbly.

Buffy Arrington thanked tatts
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Shiplap doesn't go on the ceiling because of the gaps in the wood. You install planks on the ceiling.

IMO you would be better off going with one of the many choices from Armstrong. Looks like wood, comes prefinished and goes up easily. Also material has a fire rating compared to wood and will be stable in spite of humidity.

https://www.armstrongceilings.com/residential/en-us/suspended-ceiling-systems/wood-look-ceiling-planks/item/480.html

Now is the time to add downlights if you want them in your home.

Buffy Arrington thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Beverly! So you feel this look is ok in an 80's style house?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Sure. I think it would be an improvement. Plenty of homes in the 80's had wood on the ceiling, but it was typically stained. Now all the updates include painted wood ceilings.

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

You may want to address why you have water condensing at your hvac vents.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Does the popcorn ceiling have asbestos in it? Is that why you have to be out of the house? If so, I would have that abated rather than put anything over it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I would get 2 more bids for scraping the ceiling. Also, please look into the staining around your vents.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

You've got some good advise here ...stains in the ceiling are from the roof ? Pipes ? Check that out and get more quotes .

• Hou 2009
    4 years ago

I'm not an expert, but I agree that it would look out of place in an 80s house that looks rather soft-contemporary from your photo, in my opinion. Trust your instincts.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Scraping and redoing the ceiling with drywall mud is not a huge deal so get a couple more quotes IMO shiplap is so done and does not suit that house.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

I don’t know why it’s being said here that you don’t put shiplap on ceilings. Just do a search and you’ll see thousands of examples (nice looking ones) of shiplap on ceilings. That being said though, in your application I don’t think it would look appropriate at all. Shiplap has a certain look and should blend in with the rest of the style of your home. You don’t just throw it up because you want to hide something.

I actually love the look of shiplap and find many of the applications I see well done and very appealing (I even have a touch of it in my own home...it‘s on the ceiling of my breakfast room), but it has become so ridiculously popular (you see it everywhere) that I fear in the not too distant future we will all come to hate it. It’s no longer a novelty and has become so commonplace that it’s losing its unique and special flavor.

In any case, I would forgo the shiplap in your case.

• Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Nidnay thank you! What would you put in place of that awful ceiling fan?

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

We’re basically seeing that fan in isolation. Would be good for you to post some pics of the rest of your space.

• Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Nidnay decor is all being changed. We have downsized ( in a big way). Adding new furnishings, new kitchen, lighting,etc ( advice on all appreciated). This was a rental townhouse we owned in Florida.

View from above ( where the bad ceiling fan is located)

loft that overlooks living room

The townhouse is not pretty but in a location we love.I do want an updated look with respect to the style of the house.

• Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Nidnay for some reason the pictures are not posting.

• Helen
    4 years ago

I had my popcorn removed recently. It contained asbestos so it was removed by a special hazmat squad.

It was then redone and is smooth and looks beautiful.

From an aesthetic (versus functional) I would opt for a smooth ceiling rather than one with either shiplap or planks because it is a less intrusive design. I associate shiplap, beams and planks with very definite styles and I wouldn't want to have to decorate around my ceiling. The exception to that would be if the architecture of the house would have had those design elements originally - e.g. a historic Arts & Crafts or Spanish Colonial home would have beamed ceilings as an integral design element - an 1980's Florida house probably not.

Buffy Arrington thanked Helen
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Let me clarify what I posted. The Armstrong plank ceiling would be less expensive than applying and then painting Shiplap on the ceiling. Yes you can either scrape off the popcorn the least expensive option, or go over it with 1//4” drywall for a smooth texture. Actual wood shiplap wood is not inexpensive to just purchase and then it either have to be rolled or spray painted. I live in a home built in the 80s with vaulted ceiling and IMO planks on the ceiling are totally appropriate especially if you are striving for a coastal style.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

A white ceiling fan would blend in better .

Buffy Arrington thanked skunst2017
  • Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@skunst2017 thanks.I have been searching for one all day! It needs to be low profile and have a modern style. If you know of one, please send it to me. :)

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

It's a very simple one ..it came in white and I painted it to blend in . Try Home Depot ...it's just a simple metal , cheap fan . I paid 17 dollars , Sorry , not to be able to tell you where to buy one in USA ..I am in South America . But they must have them in big stores like Home Depot ..or could order it for you . ( electric or lamp store ? )

• bens bride
    4 years ago

Buffy - Check out the Minka Aire ceiling hugger fans in white. We have them in our bedrooms. Very quiet, move a lot of air, kind of disappear, very easy to dust. https://www.lampsplus.com/products/ceiling-fans/finish_white/type_hugger-@-flush-mount/manufacturer_minka-aire/

• Buffy Arrington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More advice needed. The ceilings are being scraped and we paint next week. I am now second guessing the ceiling color. The walls are Revere Pewter and appear much lighter in person. I had originally decided on BM white dove ceilings to match cabinets and trim in adjoining kitchen. The room gets a lot of light.
    Thoughts?

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Scrape, sand and paint.

• PRO
    Armstrong Master Builders, LLC
    4 years ago

don't use what you see on TV shiplap is 1930;s and 40's and will be ugly 4 years from now. go with texture very flat drag. Lou

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Just a bright flat ceiling white would be my choice. White Dove can come across as yellowish sometimes.