Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atheen_

Lemon pound cakes in a jar, here we come.

As promised, I'm posting my Meyer lemon induced goodies. Here are the cuties I baked today. Well, I also baked pumpkin cheesecakes in a jar, not this is a citrus board, so I'm not gonna bug you with non citrusy things.

I adapted my recipe for proportions to fit 12 jars. I filled them about half way. After they were cooked, (about 30 minutes at 350), I stuck a, skewer in them a few times and soaked them with yet more lemon, with a lemon syrup.
Later, or tomorrow, once they have completely cooled down, I'll glaze them, and decorate them with the thin candied lemon strips I did yesterday. I'll post more pictures once that happens.
Now, to hide them from the husband until it's time to give them away... :)
Atheen

Comments (22)

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    4 years ago

YUM!

• dbarron
    4 years ago

If you have extras to give away, I will bravely submit my name and take one for the team. They look lovely (even unglazed).

• Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How very noble of you. :D)))

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

I’ll take one for the team here too ;). Can you post the recipe please? They look wonderful and I also have an over abundance of lemons...

Original Author
    4 years ago

I typically don't give recipes away, but I'll make an exception in this case, because we're all slaves to our trees. :))
    In the jars, they cooked for exactly 30 minutes at 350.
    Il post pictures of the finished ones tomorrow, after I glaze and decorate.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Thank you Atheen!

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    4 years ago

Thank you Atheen, i intend to attempt soon... looks awesome!

• dbarron
    4 years ago

Being as my Meyers is still immature, I think I'll have to see if I can find some Meyers at a specialty store locally. I think this would be worth the effort ;)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the pics of the finished little cakes. As you can see, I decorated them with the candied peels I did earlier this week, so it's truly Meyer lemon overload... :)

• dbarron
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ok, I'd buy that in a restaurant...but due to the labor, what would be the cost per cake (ie liquid gold?)
    Good thing we don't bill our families, eh ?

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Atheen, gee, I wished you lived with us! I would pay you to make me something like that. Between you and Laura and a few others, makes you feel a sense of purpose growing citrus trees. ))

Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike, Barron, thank you! Just because I'm FINALLY done with my baking, I'll share pics of the rest of the stuff I made today, even the non lemon ones.

1. Pumpkin cheesecake with pecan caramel topping on a gingersnap pecan crust. Did those yesterday, just topped them tonight, they had to set for a day first.
    2. Cherry pies
    3. Apple pies. I literally just took those out of the fridge.
      Everything is home made. Crust, topping, filling, everything.
      With the lemon cakes that 48 desserts in pint jars. We're meeting with a gang of friends tomorrow, and I'm in on dessert duty, lol.
      I'm sooo glad I'm done. Told the husband he was taking me out for dinner , too. :)
      Atheen

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Wow! I wish I were in that gang of friends! Lol That stuff looks incredible. Enjoy every bite!

• dbarron
    4 years ago

You deserve to be taken out for dinner after THIS. Rather monumental unless you own a restaurant.

• John Merrifield
    4 years ago

Meyers make the greatest candied lemon peel; because the peel is not bitter. We have some "Lemon Drop Gals" here in Guatemala who are making chocolate dipped candied Meyer lemon peels... awesome

Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>John, thats the plan for the next batch, I'll have to make them bigger if I want to dip them.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've been away for a couple days visiting friends with my husband. Now back home, and back to squeezing and freezing lemon juice and making candied peel. I made them bigger this time, and I'm going to try to dip them in semi sweet chocolate.
    Tomorrow, lemon cake jars and lemon bars. I'm going to try to jar the lemon bars, too. It would enable me to ship them to friends if it works, which I couldn't do before because they would have been too fragile. I'll post updates. :)
    Atheen

Original Author
    4 years ago

Bag 2 is almost full and I'm just about 2/3 done. There is no way in hell I can use all of it in a single year. No way.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    4 years ago

That looks awesome, enjoy the fruit bounty, Atheen!

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Mike, message me your email.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've just realized that the recipe card for the lemon cake has an error in it. Its 2 sticks of unsalted butter, and not one. Here is the corrected card. I barely read them anymore, so i didnt catch it earlier. Sooooorrryyyyyyy. :)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County