Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - December 2019

Jamie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Happy December! Καλό Μήνα σε όλους!

Where did the year go? December has arrived And that means Winter is almost upon us (unless you’re in the Southern Hemisphere!)

For many of us, the growing season has ended and our gardens are resting. Other gardens are tucked in under frost blankets, row covers or high tunnels to keep the frosty air away from winter greens (we picked some kale, Asian greens and mustard greens out of our garden for some soup yesterday!)

December also means that the seed catalogs are beginning to trickle in And are featuring the “new” varieties for 2020 along side our old favorites.

What do you think will be new for you in 2020?

Comments (445)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

I, also, really enjoy all of the people here. I feel privileged to 'know' you all.

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

Congratulations Jack. Angus bulls are some of the best breeders out there. My grandpa used to have a neighbor with angus bulls and they would tear down the fence to breed with his cows-he had mostly Charolais bulls. The worst thing about the Angus bulls is that they get so big in their front end that they would hurt the cows when breeding-even broke one’s back.

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA
    4 years ago

Jack - we might dabble with some spinach and mache direct sown but most else will be transplanted if planted now. Going to plant it out with a bunch of different things for early spring (green onion, green leek, new potatoes, kale, spinach, lettuce, carrots, radish, beets, maybe some others I’m missing). Then this house will get Cukes, squash, cucamelons, and if all goes well Ginger and turmeric! The new tunnel will get the tomatoes and peppers I think.

Has anyone grown ginger or tumeric here? I have 10 lbs of each being delivered this week lol.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

Good morning-

Kevin - I once grew ginger indoors in a pot as it was a tropical variety. It did go dormant in the winter. I ended up giving the plant to one of my sisters since I am one of the few people who ginger disagrees with.

I also tried to grow wild ginger once but it's not for cooking purposes. It didn't survive. I suspect it was the growing conditions.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Richard - thanks! The angus bulls that broke into our pasture were not very big yet. The one the rancher left in there and is still in there is no bigger than our cows. We do need to get it out of there before we bring our heifers back over as they are still too young to be bred yet. I think we are going to try to breed all of the cows again and the 2 heifers next fall sometime so they will calve in the late summer of 2021.

Kevin - I've read that it takes about 10 months to grow ginger to sizable roots and that it will only survive a winter in zone 10 or warmer unless grown in a heated greenhouse. But then I didn't actually do any real research. No idea about tumeric.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have grown ginger, Kevin, but only in a pot (both ornamental and culinary). I didn't treat it in any special way- I just gave it plenty of morning sun then indirect afternoon sun, kept it watered, and fertilized it on the same schedule as everything else. I have been thinking of growing turmeric as an ornamental (it has really beautiful flowers), but have not done it yet.

Ginger can reach to 4 feet tall also, so plan to allow it to have plenty of space. Also, it will form a clump as the rhizomes grow. I think it can take several months to reach a size you can harvest.

Will you be growing it in your hoop house?

I seem to remember also, that turmeric can take a while to sprout.

Turmeric is marginally hardy in zone 7

4 years ago

thanks all- yes it will be going in the hoophouse and sold as fresh for market. Only going to dedicate half of a bed or so total. Plan to grow under lights inside to get it sprouted and then transplant it outside.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

My son got me this gardening T-shirt for Christmas. LOL

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jack you need a sign like ours to go with that shirt:

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s currently sunny and 70 degrees haha what a nice winter day!

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Lucky you Jamie...it was cold and windy today...so not motivated to do gardening tasks. Maybe tomorrow :)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Jamie - love that sign!

Rain predicted to arrive here later this morning and then rain the rest of the day. The snow and freezing rain is supposed to stay to the north. We are going to move some of our cows around today to a different pasture so hopefully the rain will hold off until we get that done. At least it's supposed to be in the low 60s today.

I just started a tray of Johnny's Rainbow microgreen mix (beet and chard). This mix is supposed to take about 3 weeks before harvest so it should be good timing for when we have some family visiting the weekend of Jan. 18.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We had a little rain overnight, but it has sort of cleared off now.

It’s 61 now and the high is supposed to be 68. Len- I hope it clears off for you also.

I potted our pawpaw seeds yesterday afternoon. They’ve been in the refrigerator since I got them as I was too busy to take care of them until now. i ordered them from Baker Creek and they were in a sealed plastic packet with A wet paper towel. You’re not supposed to let them dry out and it seems that Baker Creek packed them really well. It will take several weeks before they sprout above ground. Hopefully they’ll have roots in 2-3 weeks and we will see something above ground in a month or so.

I am going to start some microgreens and lettuce today also.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

We got up to 60 degrees here today. Unfortunately, an unexpected guest came over this morning. I wasn't able to get outside until around 2pm but did manage to get more weeds pulled than I expected.

The rain will be arriving here sometime tomorrow but right now the morning will be for more weeding.

I started some micro-greens about a week ago. Looks like some of them are experiencing some damping off. First time for that with micro-greens for me.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Today was a nice day outside...cool but sun out so fine to work on fencing which was the order of the day. I also took time to plant lettuce and Tatsoi seedlings into the hoophouse. It is fairly full now so just harvesting for the next couple of months. We are going to San Diego for a week starting the 5th so forcing myself not to sow any leeks, onions, lettuce or anything else! It is an hourly struggle.

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

This is what I used to make my last batch of hot sauce-the one on the right was too hot (ghost peppers)-the one on the left was just right (Starfish, Serrano, Thai peppers)

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

The Starfish are my new favorites-they are almost as versatile as poblanos

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    4 years ago

RD Texas: The new baby is precious. What a special time for everyone.

Your peppers look good, too. Well, maybe not the ghost peppers - they are way too hot for me. Love the look of the starfish. I will have to find where I put my seed for them and grow them again.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Love the peppers and the babies...this is a great forum...thanks Richard

4 years ago

Ginger and turmeric - placed on 1/2 inch of potting soil then covered with another inch or so in 1020 trays. Stacked in a big rubbermaid container with heating mat underneath set to 82f. Hopefully will get sprouts in a month or two!

View of the winter farm, can see the second hoophouse frame is up. The big Tulip poplar tree at the right has been felled, needs cleaned up and my dad is going to bring over his new Christmas toy (chainsaw mill). The tree was not in great health and the third hoophouse is going right under where the dying limbs were - had to go.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The rain found us. It started last night and was steady all night. I think it’s supposed to continue all day today with a chance of storms tonight.

cindy - that‘s unusual. Did you do anything different this time?

I’m jealous , Len - San Diego is one of my favorite places to be.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kevin- is anyone else in the area growing turmeric? Do you have a sizable Indian / SE Asian community in the area? I’m curious which of your customers will be Buying it.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress with both exotics.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Just saw a HUGE raccoon walking across my backyard! At least it wasn't a whistle pig!

My first planting of microgreens are sprouting nicely but I think I might have put a little too much potting mix on top of the seeds as the sprouts are having a little trouble breaking through in some areas especially the radish mix. I think next time I'll just sprinkle a little dry mix over the seeds and then mist the top to wet it down.

It rained about 1.5 inches yesterday which is a record for the date. Glad it wasn't 1.5' of snow!! 2019 is now the 4th wettest year on record in KC.

Just starting to cook some wings in the air fryer for the Chiefs game watch party at a friends. Also making some white queso with sausage.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jack- I never cover my microgreens. I just press them gently into the top of the soil And make sure they are nicely moistened.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Jamie - I may do that next time as well. The packet said to lightly cover them (at least the one packet that I read). The spicy mix didn't have much of a problem and I doubt the beet and chard mix will either since they are larger seeds.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I soaked some peas last night to start today and I’ll start some of the chard/beet mix also. I’ve been going back and forth about soaking the chard mix but this time I think I’ll skip that step.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

Jamie - I have no idea. I used coconut coir in this tray, but that's the only difference. Maybe I need to stick to Pro-Mix??

Richard - That is a beautiful baby!!

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cindy- I wonder if the coir holds more moisture than the pro mix?

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

Jamie - Could be. It really absorbs a lot of water initially. And I did water it again after a few days. Will hold off of the water with the next tray.

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

Thank you Cindy, Naturegirl, and Len. She already has another little boy that is a year and a half old and was talking about having one for next Christmas (she wants a girl of course). I hope she gets her wish, but I would think she might delay it a while once she sees how much energy it takes to take care of both of them. She is a teacher so she will probably end up staying at home with them for a few years because of the cost of child care too

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

Naturegirl, let me know if you need any starfish seeds. I have some curing right now and a couple hundred already bagged up.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Jamie when use Coir I mix with vermiculite and sometimes compost.

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

How bout them Chiefs? Wrapped up the first round bye.

4 years ago

Jack and others - lightly sprinkle vermiculite or very fine seed start mix on the micros - just a dusting really. A good way to get great germination is to place a weighted tray of the same size on top... growers who sell quantity will stack 4 or 5 1020 trays at a time of the same variety. Its a good way to save on space too. As soon as the trays start to be pushed up, take them out and get under lights.

Jamie - we had some people asking about ginger last year but this will largely require a marketing effort on our part if the crop is successful. It’s a big experiment really, and if anything it will draw attention to the farm at market and on social media. If worse comes to worse we have an Indian and a Filipino married into the family - they and their family/ friends will surely take it off our hands (hopefully at a decent price! Lol).

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perfect backup plan, Kevin!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Richard - I didn't give the fish much chance to beat the pats. They did it at the end of the season last year too and that gave the Chiefs the #1 seed in the AFC. Everybody was whooping and hollering at the watch party when they showed the final score.

Kevin - thanks for the tip! I doubt I ever have more than 3 or 4 trays of MGs going at the same time. I bought 3 of the shallow seedling trays to use. They are a little over 1/2 the depth of a standard 1020.

4 years ago

Jack - you can just fill up a tray with seedling mix (or a couple bricks/weight) and set it on top of the to-be-germinated tray.

4 years ago

Potted up kale to 50 cell trays... will probably pot again to 3inch pots in 3 weeks then harden off to go out in the hoophouse in Feb. Gotta have something growing in there! Will be selectively harvesting leaves for mini salads in the meantime.

Tomato grafting test was somewhat a success, around 90% took. Used old unwanted seed... will start with rootstock and expensive seed in late Feb.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    4 years ago

Well, it took about an hour, but I think I'm all caught up now! Seriously, I never used to have this problem of getting left in the past when my phone and Houzz played better together. Anyway....

Merry Christmas everyone! And let me be the first to say Happy New Year! I'll hope to not miss out quite so much now that the bulk of the holiday stuff is behind me.

Sweet baby, Richard! My daughter-in-law is about half way through growing a new baby herself. The baby's big brother will be just barely 2 years old when the baby will be born.

Nice, Jack, that your herd is growing...even if some is unintended. What a lot of work, I imagine.

I have a nice stack of seed catalogs at this point, but I have yet to get serious. I did page through one of them the other day, but couldn't let myself get too roped in.

We had a nice rain on Saturday. I'm not sure how much we accumulated, but I would guess an inch or so. It was SO welcome!

Miss you all... Love the camaraderie experienced in this group!

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Happy New Year to you also, Margi! And Happy New Year’s Eve to everyone!

An update on the microgreens I started on Sunday. One of these is Johnn'y Spicy mix and the other is a Mild Mix (I added some red amaranth to both of them)

And I started a few lettuces (I can't remember the variety right now)

I have been trying Espoma's seed-starting mix. It seems to work well, but it has some larger chunks of composted material and isn't as fine as some of the other mixes. I have decided to follow in the footsteps of the rest of you and pick up a container of ProMix in a couple of weeks to use for some things. I still go back to Jiffy Pods for a lot of my seed-starting needs though. I know a lot of people hate them, but they are so convenient and work well for me.

I'm at work for half a day today, then I am off for the Holiday.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

Happy New Year's Eve to all!

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You too, Cindy! Happy New Year's Eve to everyone!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Yes, Merry New Year to you all!

Jamie - the spicy mix that I sowed on Dec. 26 is already 2" tall. The radish mix sown at the same time is only about 1" tall. I wasn't expecting the spicy mix to grow this fast! I'm going to harvest some today to add to some side salads with our dinner.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It grows really quickly, Jack!

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Happy New Year! DW and I will celebrate with a glass and then be abed by 10! Can' remember the last time I saw midnight on purpose.

Thanks Cindy seeds arrived today. Going to enjoy finding room for a couple more tomatoes.

I'm looking for Mr Tung's Bean seeds...and have lots of other bean seeds if NE1 wants them. Just let me know what you are looking for.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Happy New Year!!!

• RD Texas
    4 years ago

Jamie thanked RD Texas
  • itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    4 years ago

Happy New Year! (now that it really is 2020) Yep, I was in bed by 9:30.

Richard - I love the sentiment on the image you posted!

• Jamie
    Original Author
    4 years ago
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County