Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amatuerarch

Please critique my floorplan remodel

amatuerarch
4 years ago

We are remodelling our house with floorplan modification and would appreciate feedback on this floorplan. I can't figure out the right orientation of master ensuite.

Comments (17)

• Christian Decor
    4 years ago

Too plain

• rrah
    4 years ago

I have no comments on the master. What I do immediately notice is that bedroom 3 and the proposed office have no access to a bathroom unless they walk through another bedroom. You're spending a lot of money on this remodel. The above is just one fundamental flaw with the plan. Rethink existing ensuite 1. It offers the closest possibility for a bathroom for Bedroom 3. If you're remodeling suite 2, consider putting the plumbing on the same wall as the master bath. Personally never a fan of adjacent bedrooms without at least a closet between them for additional noise reduction and privacy. Your master and bedroom 1 share a big wall, and you have the bed placed right on that wall.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

How do you plan to turn on your shower in the master if the door swings in? The shower looks like a small afterthought in such a large bathroom. Do you need such a large bathroom?

How will you manage to keep noises from the master bedroom permeating into bedroom 1 so you don't permanently scar whomever is in bedroom 1 trying to sleep?

Why does the person in bedroom 1 need a skylight in their closet? Why would they need the extra hole in the roof?

Who gets bedroom 3?

Where in such a small laundry room will you hang clothes? Sort them? There is NO room to even sort clothes.

If it were me, I'd make the laundry larger so it envelops the tiny bath for bedroom 3, move the toilet in the bathroom in bedroom 1, make the door open to the hallway and have bedroom 1 and 3 share the bath. And I don't see the need for a tub, shower and double vanity in bathroom 3. Why?

• tatts
    4 years ago

The OP's name is correct. There are a lot of amateur mistakes in this, mostly from treating the rooms as pieces in a Tetris game without thinking about how they (and the fixtures inside) are used. There's no sign that usability has been considered. Nor that efficient, reasonable plumbing and soil pipe runs have been part of the decision making.

And the fireplace in the master bath? What is the point of that, especially when it can only be viewed from the sinks? That is a lottery winner's bathroom.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

HMMMMMMMM................

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I don't want to be too hard on you but the entire plan is just flawed! tiny theatre rooms, basement bedroom no closet so many living spaces but none seem to be great spaces. why an office all the way upstairs when there is so much room on the main level. ........... then the 2nd floor is just jammed with space-eating non-functional spaces............good grief!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Remodelings of existing structures have greater influences on layouts than building new. Hire a local architect that can perform field investigations and make suggestions based upon all existing conditions, your needs that they are intimately familiar with, and good space planning practices; unless you already have an architect. If you already have one, find another one you can trust.

Edit: . . . and get rid of the barn doors.

• amatuerarch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your feedback everyone, this is designed by a local architect based on the existing floorplan of the house, here are the pictures.

• amatuerarch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We did think of the issue of having master next to another bedroom but just couldn't figure out any other orientation that could work. how would you suggest changing the orientation to have a large ensuite and WIC in the master as well. Looking forward to hear more thoughts!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Are you sure you hired a LICENSED architect and not a "designer"? There is a big difference.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

The question of the day is how many bedrooms and offices do you really need?

What did you tell the architect about how YOU use the space? The plan i messed around with above really tucks in a lot more use of the space on the upper floor.

• amatuerarch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we plan to modify the garage and the bedroom above it at a later time therefore we are trying not to touch that area, just relocating the laundry for now. Later, all of the 2nd level office and bedroom behind it will become one large 2nd master. Keep the thoughts coming, I appreciate them!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Where is the closet for the master.Are you going to actually use that tub because IMO you do not have the space for a free standing tub you need at least 12” all around it .BTW a seconf floor laundry is IMO a poor choice so when doing laundry you have to run upstairs every time a load needs to be moved , with a main floor one you take the laundry down and at the end take the laundry up 2 trips instead of four or maybe six. I aheb had both and would never do another 2nd floor laundry

• amatuerarch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

master bed's closet is right next to the ensuite. there is an existing bathtub in bedroom 1 so we aren't adding a new one. no point in throwing it away so we're choosing to leave it. mudroom on main is small so laundry wouldn't fit plus we actually liked it on 2nd level in the previous house.

• User
    4 years ago

Moving will be way cheaper. Remodels cost you money. They don’t make you money. Best case scenario is the 800K remodel nets you 200K in added value. That is if it’s done well. This isn’t.

The reality is the the result of THAT would lose you even more money than the value of the home that you’re starting with. Because someone would have to undo more than half of it to even want to buy it. It’s a distinct turn off.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

A quick suggestion for the upstairs bathroom situation...

OR