Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_mtl

I will finally get my valentine pummelos!

Phoenix perennials has launched their citrus pre order and the varieties are amazing this year! I have ordered a Shasta Gold mandarin and a valentine pummelo! I can’t wait for winter to end lol!

Ps: to all my friends who also want a valentine pummelo, Gary told me that they only have a few available so hurry up!

Comments (11)

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    4 years ago

Way to go Amy! With a greenhouse you can have them all! It's tempting but I don't have space. My Meiwa kumquat and Meyer lemon trees were from Phoenix perennials.

Amy (montreal, canada) thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Amy

I wish winter were over to

Hi Sunshine

How is your Meiwa kumquat doing.

Steve

Amy (montreal, canada) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Sunshine! It’s sure is easier with a greenhouse. So far so good but the worse is yet to come. They predicted a long and cold winter this year erkk... any chance that they are all wrong? Sunshine when you feel like grafting again let me know! You know that you can count me anytime to send you some budwoods!

Matt! Isn’t rewarding to grow our own food? What an amazing list you have there! Don’t forget about shasta gold. Brian has one and he said that they are very good!

Steve, hang on there! Winter solstice is not far away and after that the length of day will start to increase!

4 years ago

Amy, thanks for your offer, you are a good friend! I hate winter in general, but this one in particular, because it took big chunk of our fall, snowed really early. Some of the trees in our area did not even get orange, yellow color and all green went under the snow and cold. Our spring started in July for a week and went straight to summer. So basically we have now two seasons: winter and summer.

Steve, my sunroom is so packed with plants, can't tell what tree is what, pulled the Meiwa for you to look at :)

I don't use lights, keeping the trees on the cooler side. It dropped some leaves and not growing right now.

My only survivor seedling Meiwa is 1.5 years old and 22 inches tall from the soil line. This was my approach grafting experiment with it, looks like this right now:

I left both roots for it to grow

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Amy, always so kind of ful of encouraging words! I can't wait for this winter to be over too. I had a cold spring right into June, warmed up in July and cooled off in August winter already! We had 2 feet yesterday. Earliest ever. Still 4 more months of it. Thank God for the Solstice. You know, poor Matt has it worst.

Nice, let us know when you get them , ok. Pics would be great and you still have room in the greenhouse to sit? lol

Sunshine, hello, hope you are ok. Too funny about being packed. That's my sunroom.lol Full of lights too. Just getting to them to water is a hassell. lol

Steve, what's up buddy?

Mike

4 years ago

Hi Mike, how is your winter going:)

Speaking of packed

I can't even get in there, lol!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

My plants are all isolated so pest travel slowly. Your Meiwa looks nice. Did the approach graft take.

Steve

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago

Amy what are your temps like inside the GH and out? Do your trees continue to grow?

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow Sunshine! Thank you for your pictures! What kind of graft is that! Did you graft one scion with two rootstock?

Matt, I set my thermostat at 49F and my temperature stays from 45F to 55F during the night and cloudy days. On sunny days, it can reach to 90F. Here in MontreaL, the outside temperature is around 30F this week. I just saw your post about your bacon avocad. Congratulations about the flower buds. do you plan to hand pollinate the flower?

Mike, our first snow was a week before Halloween which is really early. It took me 3 hours to drive my kids to school which usually takes me 15 minute. Worst day ever!

4 years ago

Steve, the approach graft took, see the last 3 pictures in my post above!

Amy, there were two Meiwa seedlings growing side by side last year and I decided to approach graft them on to each other. You can read the whole story here (updated just now)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5563487/approach-grafting#n=13