Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polypompholyx

Seyrigia humbertii progress

Polypompholyx
4 years ago

My memory is telling me that a while ago I posted a request for advice about growing my Seyrigia humbertii but I can't find the thread. I checked a couple different forums. So.. here's a summary of my issue: the plant seemed to always be in a state of dying back and growing simultaneously, which was always a bit puzzling, but the new growth wasn't quite progressing fast enough so after months to years the plant would eventually die- indicating something was not quite right for it. I think I'm on my third plant, now, and again it was running out of stems. However, this time the thing that improved its health is the new grow lights I purchased. I'm seeing a bunch of new stems growing from close to the top of the caudex suggesting I'm finally doing something right. I can get a lot of sunlight for winter through the house's south facing upstairs window during winter but apparently that isn't enough for this plant. I'm in southeastern Idaho. I don't have a lot of space by the upstairs window so most of my succulents and cacti are in the basement by a window. Recently I purchased some grow light for my plants in the basement during the winter. My greenhouse gets a lot of sun and heat during the summer but that seemed to not be right for the plant either. I read some place that this species is a spring and fall grower but maybe my climate and plant migrations between inside and outside haven't been ideal for the plant- missing good conditions for growth. Currently, looks like the better light and bit of warmth from the grow lights is what the plant needed.

Comments (4)

• gardengems
    4 years ago

Do you have any pictures?

Polypompholyx thanked gardengems
  • Polypompholyx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• gardengems
    4 years ago

I think you may have found the problem not enough light. Many of my succulents are under grow lights year round, since I don't have enough space outside. I recently upgraded to better grow lights and the plants are much happier. There colour is more like they are under sunlight. Proper lighting is a major obstacle that most people don't fully understand.

I have to ask about your soil. You said this is third one you are on. Have you had all three in the same type of potting mix? Life starts in the soil. Not every succulent likes the same succulent potting blend. What type of mix do you use?

Polypompholyx thanked gardengems
  • Polypompholyx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven't used the same mix for all the Seyrigia plants I tried to grow. Previous Seyrigia were in a home made gritty mix. I can't remember the exact proportions of what I put in the mix. A while ago I thought maybe the stems were dying back too quickly because the plant was too dry too long between watering. I put the plant in the picture in a mix that still had a lot of perlite and grit but more potting soil than my other gritty mixes I've used for my other plants. Last spring, summer, and fall I kept a closer eye on this plant and watered it more regularly so it didn't sit dried out for a long time. However, that didn't really improve the growth of new stems.

For years I've been thinking of getting grow lights for the winter months but hesitated because of the cost for a hobby. However, last winter I lost more plants than usual so I was more determined to do something for this winter. After seeing the definite improvement of the Seyrigia for the first time and a few other cacti and succulents currently flowering, all indicating better health, I think I regret not buying lights years ago.

I'm a bit reluctant to post pics of my plants. They don't all look great. Over the years there have been various problems that have left them looking less than ideal. I'm sure everyone can see a few issues in my pic above but I shared the pic anyway because we do love pics.