Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_689862278

Home Exterior is painted white brick. Can it be changed?

HU-689862278
4 years ago

We bought a great house in a great neighborhood. The house, fully bricked, had been painted white by the previous homeowner. What can we do to “tone” down the white? Maybe to get a softer limewash type look? It is red brick originally.

Comments (12)

• Denita
    4 years ago

If you posted pictures, they haven't shown up yet.

Try posting again here in the comment section.

• margaret T
    4 years ago

There are some processes that you can use to remove paint from brick. We successfully did this to a 1950's red brick ranch that was painted white with multiple coats. We hired a professional who used Peel Away that is a citrus based cleaner you then power wash off. It works really well and you could not even tell that the home had been painted.

https://www.dumondchemicals.com/pro-peel-away-1.html

You can probably work through the manufacturer to find a pro who does this near you.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Pic didn't post. Please try again.

If you can peel off the paint as margaret T suggests, do.

Sandblasting could change the texture of the brick.

If this is a DIY project, while the strong chemicals such as strip paint from wood might well work they may also damage your landscaping plants.

• margaret T
    4 years ago

They Peel Away product is non toxic and does not hurt plants, also they literally peel the paint off first and collect all of it to take away, then power wash it at the end. Sorry I don't have before and after photos.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Power washing brick is a bit iffy with brick so you need to be very careful of the pressure used. There is soda blasting that I have seen done on commercial brick buildings, may be check that out too.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

What can we do to “tone” down the white? Maybe to get a softer limewash type look?

Repaint it a different color of white that you like better.

Colors like Shoji White, Greek Villa, Eider White, Alabaster, French Canvas.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

Do you know what they painted it with?

Brick needs to breathe.

Painting exterior brick, if the proper coating is not used, leads to problems not too far down the road. You need to use a vapor-permeable masonry paint, otherwise moisture gets trapped in the brick and mortar and and causes them to crumble, often in just a few years. You also won't be able to see this issue until the damage is significant.

Painting Brick - A Warning

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Do you know if it's actually paint or limewash? Limewash comes in different colors and can be applied heavily or lightly.

There is something wonderful about a white painted brick house..........provided the landscaping is complete. See below

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

My previous house was brick painted white -- which, believe it or not, was better than the butt-ugly natural color of pink it was before it was painted... Anyway, we had it professionally repainted when we had the siding replaced -- the name escapes me, but it was a soft neutral sand color. World of difference - totally transformed the house from a bright, harsh rectangular box into a soft-looking house that gently blended into the natural environment.

Painting brick is NOT a DIY project -- call a professional, it's worth the expense to get it done right with proper prep and smooth, even application - last thing you want is paint that peels/chips off.

• Debbie Downer
    4 years ago

FYI Romabio is good at what they do ... no argument here.... but they have a limited range of only whites & very light grays and it cannot be applied to anything with conventional house paint on it, only raw unpainted masonry or other mineral paint applications.

There are several other mineral paint (aka potassium silicate) paint co's in the US, a couple of which have a sort of "primer" product which can go over conventional paint - try this is one : https://www.beeckmineralpaints.com/

For best results though I think Id still want to get off as much of the paint film as possible .... but without going too far and damaging the brick. Then the primer product, and then the mineral paint. Of course this would be hugely labor intensive or expensive to hire out, that is assuming you can even find anyone who has heard of mineral paint or would want to do it. At the very least find a person who understands the science about this and doesnt shrug off the concerns - maybe there are some other types of breathable coatings that I dont know about.

Michelle above is correct - any coatings need to be breathable, or there WILL be damage, its only a matter of time. The brick bldg across the street from me was painted only 12 yrs ago and is already spalling (ie brick cracking and disintegrating) terribly in some places near bldg exhaust vent and other places

Its really sad how the big box, do it cheap mentality of the last 30-40 yrs has resulted in so much shoddy workmanship that is now considered the norm.... and actual physical damage. Not many people thinking long term any more, beyond 10 or 20 yrs.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

I'm sure it can but at a major expense and a lot of work and time. Exactly why I hate it when people ask about painting it. You take a material that is maintenance free and make it something you will continue to have to deal with. Fine if you never plan on moving but wrong if a new owner really wants a brick house. I'd probably want to remove the paint myself. Maybe you could just do a section at a time depending on what the front of your house looks like.