Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_curnutt

Should I tile up to the ceiling above vanity?

Kim C649
4 years ago

Hello! Happy New Year! I recently had my bathroom redone with American Olean large format tile and an insert tile I love. I would like to use more of the glass/stone tile-thinking of going from the vanity to the ceiling in the space between the sconces then the mirror. There is a large window (49×29) on the back wall in shower. Thinking of doing a tempered glass cover to keep water out but keep window useable. Paint ideas? Additions to tile? Flooring? It's my first crack at this so please be kind :)

Comments (16)

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your tile selections look very pretty. I’m wondering though why the window is covered in plastic? Did the contractor not waterproof the window.? There are waterproofing methods for windows.

Instead of more tile, you could put a really pretty statement mirror. I think that would be my choice so that I could paint the walls a color.

• K R
    4 years ago

Pretty so far! If you love the tile you might do a small strip backsplash right on top of the vanity, but in no way would I go all the way up, those small mosaics are really only meant for strips, too busy for a full wall. I’d do as the above posted recommended and find a pretty mirror.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The vanity needs a tiled backsplash IMO. I hate paint that gets wet

Your lights are not centered on the vanity. Who made that mistake?

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I would install some sort of short backsplash behind the vanity only. Doesn't look like there is much room behind the faucet so that will limit your choices. Most likely the large format tile you used would be too thick (tile + thinset) to fit behind the faucet. Don't think it would look good anyway. Also, I would NOT use the mosaic tiles as a BS at the vanity either.

Maybe 1/4" thick white Corian (or other thin solid surface material)?

ETA--or tempered glass?

• Kim C649
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it must be the angle of the pic because it actually matches up well. I don't think these sconces will be what I go with in the end; we just needed light! The color on the walls now is called Malabar by SW. I won't do the tile all the way up if you all feel that is over kill. It is 30$/sq ft so it would be GREAT not to lol.

• Kim C649
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not very savvy at posting back so I am sorry if this goes in the wrong place! The "contractors" were terrible at best and left mid way through. I did get money back but left without a properly waterproofed vinyl window. In the pics I posted an idea for a window covering we came across

• Kim C649
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ci_lantro thank you for the idea! I didn't think about how thick the tile is. I have another vanity we may install. It's an antique washstand with a 4in wooden backsplash already attached. That may solve the issue. Of course, it would completely change the sink but then I wouldn't need anything behind it :) the window in the shower is a standard vinyl window. I thought a tempered glass covering would look nice as well as keep water from the seams. We did not want to cover or change it as this is in the front of a craftsman home; it would look strange from the outside if we did anything.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

Do any pros on here have a recommendation to the homeowner about how to waterproof this window after the fact?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Your aftermarket waterproofing idea might work, but wonder how you can attach above the window without compromising the waterproofing behind the tile? If this is the front of your home, you will also have some privacy concerns that your panel could address if it's obscured or opaque enough, which kind of defeats the advantages of light from a window.

• User
    4 years ago

K C649: "window in the shower is a standard vinyl window. I thought a tempered glass covering would look nice as well as keep water from the seams. We did not want to cover or change it as this is in the front of a craftsman home"

Ouch. You should have gotten advice from someone who knows what they're doing before you started. There are ways to protect windows in wet areas, but they're never totally effective and your particular situation is very problematic because of the sloped ceiling and low placement of the window. If I were you, I'd tear out the tile, remove the window and redo everything. As far as the exterior goes, the simplest option is to leave the window trim and fill the opening with siding that matches the rest of the house.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

KC, what I meant was to use a piece of tempered glass for the backsplash on the vanity behind the faucet.

I don't have any suggestion for protecting the window. You're going to get condensation, mold, mildew behind the plastic that you have taped up there.

What happened? Was it just tiled around the window? What is the substrate behind the tile? Is that wood trim around the window? What waterproofing was done behind the tile?

• Kim C649
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it is tiled to the window. it is a vinyl window with caulking to waterproof anything not vinyl. I cannot rip everything out and start over-WAAY to much has been spent already. I have had this window for 17yrs with a shower curtain protecting it until now. No mold or condensation as I am particular on cleaning and keeping water out. We have seen many other showers with windows. I am not unique

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Instead of trying to attach something to the window or wall above it, I would probably put a tension mounted shower curtain rod at the junction of the ceiling and wall, and hang a clear shower curtain, or opaque if you need privacy when showering. When finished showering, pull the curtain all the way to the right and it will be hidden by your other shower curtain, if it's left open to show your pretty tile.

I suspect this is your former solution, but if it worked, I'd keep it.

• LIrw09
    4 years ago

Have you considered tiling the toilet/sink wall halfway? Roughly chair rail height, high enough to create a backsplash behind the sink without having any awkward endings. This would protect the wall behind the toilet and sink from water and also allow you to end the tile in a way that makes sense without having the expense of tiling to the ceiling. Ispydiy.com does wonderful bathroom remodels and most of her bathrooms utilize pedestal sinks and have some sort of chair height wall finish: beadboard, tile, paneling. Hope this helps!

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I have had this window for 17yrs with a shower curtain protecting it until now. No mold or condensation as I am particular on cleaning and keeping water out.

Since your old solution worked...

I was suggesting that the taped plastic is going to be a problem because condensation will collect behind it (and not be able to dry readily) and where you have water & warmth, you're creating a perfect environment for mold & mildew. (Unless you remove the plastic & tape after every shower.) With your shower curtain solution, at least air can circulate around & behind the curtain.

How much of a problem? Depends on where you live. Arizona? Great. (I live in wet & humid central WI so mold, mildew, algae is a constant battle, inside & out.)