Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta I 2019 .......

There are not to many I hostas so please feel free today to post anything you want to. Either your cat, new car

Comments (62)

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Pretty little seedling, Sunny. Is it blue in springtime?

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Zkathy. Thanks it is more blue in spring,but not a lot. Still can’t get the likes to work !

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

Invincible

Ivory Coast

Some Peonies to enjoy.

I still can not "like" any of the post. But when in reality , I am loving all of the Hostas and Puppies!

Camera shy, The Bernese Mountain , Zoe, is my garden digger. She goes where I go I guess, When I get the shovel out , she gets excited. LOL . she is proud of her 2 big holes that I have now come to accept has her space.

Enjoy your weekend.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Really “like” everyone’s pictures! I have a couple to show. First off is a leaf shot of Ivory Coast

Then IrishLuck at noon, followed by Francee and Luna Moth.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Oops Forgot the pic!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Island Breeze late in the season

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

And this one cause nothing makes me laugh harder than little kids and their fake drama

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

How about an early season Island Breeze and if you look close you can see the red creeping into the leaf on the right.

and a fall picture with my daughter's favorite new conifer of mine Korean Fir 'Icebreaker' in the bottom right.

and a trio of Icebreakers at Hidden Lake Gardens

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

I'll try this once more. My posts all just disappear when I hit submit. For the past week, my likes don't even show up any more.

Island Breeze, new as a gift this year.

Infatuation

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

oursteelers..I love drama queen's hair!..here's the baby in our family..she does "pouty lip" on command..I said to my niece "maybe she's trying to look like a Kardashian"..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

nw, so friggin cute! Don’t you just love how much personality they can pack into their little bodies?!?!

4 years ago

oursteelers..I know they're so funny!!..she's a ham..7 great grandchildren for my parents..8 grandchildren..the one before her is almost 8..so this baby is the center of attention..my parents really enjoy her..

• Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Irish eyes looks interesting...

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Saija, your Invincible has a beautiful color....lighter than others. I love your coleus. I grow them every summer in pots, but toss them in fall. Maybe I show try keeping some cuttings like you.

Peren.all, I am envious of your Indigo. Great blue color.

Maria, that color on your I. Luck is perfect!

connyMay, each Ice Age Trail is so unique...I love all three.

Tiddisolo, can’t decide which I like better, the Ice Follies or the muddie noses.

ConnieMay, love little Kelso. I have actually found that my indoor/ out cats do very little damage to my hostas. They don’t pee on the hostas or spray on them (neutered boys will still spray outdoors.) They actually love hiding under them and sleeping under them in the summer. Once in awhile I will find a couple of broken leaves when running or chasing happens but it’s minimal.

zkathy, I love that Inniswood, it is no wonder that sellers have had to restock supplies.

Inspire Greatness, lovely hosta for a good cause.

Nicholsworth, nice Invincible and love the receipt from the garden shop!! Haha!

sunnywood, as usual, you have so many nice ones..... even your seedling. I love Island Breeze. Mine is still young.

shadow, I love Ivory Coast and it’s on my list already. And like you I also love peonies. I have a number of neighbors that have bushes and bushes of them and they hate them! Which is lucky for me as I only have two myself due to limited sun, so I have been given the freedom to cut them anytime, which I do...:-) I especially love the white/soft pink ones with occasional dark red streaking. I’ll post if possible.

oursteerers, Irish Luck looks great with your two other hostas. The “Pebbles” ponytail on the grandchild is darling!!

Steve, your Island Breeze is a nice one and I also like the Ice Breakers. Do they stay that small?

old dirt, I really like the soft coloring on Infatuation, so subtle.

Karin, I really love the color and leaf shape on both Inca Gold and a Iron Sky.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Now my Island Breeze

Sorry, blurred fuzzy flower

Various coleus

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Close up of Island Breeze where you can see the red veining

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    4 years ago

saija, I love all your coleus. I have a few but sometimes I have trouble keeping them through the winter.

zkathy your Inniswood is beautiful

sunnywood now I have to add Invincible to my list.

steve love your Island Breeze

I also can't like anyones post right now. So this is for everyone... LIKE, LIKE, LIKE

4 years ago

Here are my pictures

Ice Prancer - new in fall

Irish Luck - took a jump this year, I am really liking this one.

Island Breeze - new in the spring

Iris - such a short season but love them while they are in bloom

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

we need to see more Drama Cuties !!!! Oursteelers and Nicholsworth , that made my day

4 years ago

thanks Shadow..she makes everyone in our family smile..your dogs were so funny turning away from the camera lol..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Beth, Ice Prancer and Irish Luck are both lovely vase shaped hostas.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Another like from me for the toddler drama!

Sherry

• mbug_gw
    4 years ago

zkathy....100% agree on this one....

Inspire Greatness

Irish Luck up close

Ivory Coast

Island Breeze

Invincible

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Funny jokes today, Paula! Duck, eggs cracked me up, and that guy, lol.

Dave, I can't tell if your dogs look guilty or are just deadly serious in their endeavors.

ConnieMay, not only do you have lovely gardens, but you have the dog I want! Kelso looks like a wonderful Sheltie. They're really hard to find around here. You are very lucky!!!

zkathy, your Inniswood is gorgeous!

nicholsworth, you find a lot of good funnies! I really can relate to this one!

old dirt....Yay! Your pics are posting again.

I could say something to everyone! The furry family members, the kids, the beautiful plants. Such a great group of posters here!

Imp, a mini

Independence

Island Breeze

Irish Luck, wasn't so lucky. Damaged by hail! But look how nice the new growth looks. Imagine the whole plant like that. Hopefully next year!

Ivory Queen ...looked nice last year, but this year the markings are fading. We'll see what happens this coming season.

My two kitties ....Kitty and Molly

Kitty is a mellow lap cat and loves to be pet.

Molly is still the mischief maker. Walking along the edge of our second floor deck is a no-no. Does she care? No. No.

She has a certain tone of voice that lets me know it's time to turn on her drinking fountain.

Black Cat and his friend were left behind when neighbors moved. So irresponsible and wrong for people to do that. He was skinny when he found me, but maybe I've fattened him up too much, lol. He has his own heated house in back, but I'd like to find him a forever home.

4 years ago

sandyslopes..I like Imp!..tiny and perfect..and your cats are posed perfectly!..my sister's cats love bathroom faucets too..that must've made you nervous to see Molly on the edge of that deck..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago

Love Kitties

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

There may not be a lot of them but the I’s sure are lookers!!!!!

And Black Cat has a great face!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

I love kitties too! Have rescued many.....they get trapped, neutered and released to where they were caught. At least they can’t make more kitties then. Sandyslopes love seeing your cats and God Bless you for caring for the black cat. It’s unbelievable what people do to cats. Dogs don’t get left on the street, but cats they do. They think they can take can of themselves,but when you have been an indoor cat all your life, you don’t know how to. If they live long enough sometimes they revert to their wild nature and survive by hunting. But there are so dangers outside. The average life of an outdoor cat is about three years. Mine have survived 13, 14, and 15 years but they are so well cared for.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Mbug, just caught your I hostas... I really like Inspire Greatness. How old is that? Your Irish luck is a stunning plant. It seem to have the perfect ruffling and color

• mbug_gw
    4 years ago

Thanks...Inspire Greatness is about 4 years in that spot....I think it is one of the under the radar hosta, grows quickly and large round leaves give it some character ,,,,....Irish Luck always looks good!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

The I's are all fabulous. The kids, cats and dogs are priceless!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Sunnywood, your seedling is great!

All the pets are wonderful! Makes me want to have a dog or cat! I had to chuckle Sherry at your referring to your dogs as seniors!

Shadow, love the camera shy photo!

Oursteelers, you're right about kids and their "drama." You gave me a laugh and captured that photo at just the right time!

Steveduggins, those are really cute conifers---along with the Island Breeze.

Old dirt, the mixture of color on your Island Breeze is really pleasing to the eye.

Nicholsworth, love that pouting lip!

Karin another pretty Ice Follies!

Maria, glad you joined us for the hosta alphabet. Hope to "see" you during the growing season.

djacob, your grouping and variety of coleus is wonderful!

Paula, fantastic job at finding the best jokes. Thanks!

Beth, I didn't know Irish Eyes had such long legs. I like the angle of your photo.

mbug, all your hosta photos are beautiful.

Sandyslopes, love that Imp in a pot!

4 years ago

One hosta for me.

Island Breeze. I good dependable grower. I think it looks more attractive if grown in some sun.

One of the coleus that did well for me:

Trusty Rusty

Amaryllis can be very pretty too.

Aphrodite. Unfortunately lost last season year due to virus. Yup, amaryllis get viruses too. I find it difficult to find nice healthy amaryllis bulbs in my area. So I don't know whether I will ever find a replacement. (insert "pouty lip" and some fake kid drama)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Newhostalady, my Island Breeze is mostly in shade....I wonder about moving it. This will be it’s second full season. Maybe I will see how it does this year. Love your amaryllis!

4 years ago

newhostalady..great photography!..the plants look so beautiful..I think I love every coleus that I've ever seen..did you see how many coleus Saija's growing over the winter?..so pretty..

4 years ago

nicholsworth, I couldn't understand why you asked me if I saw Saija's coleus because I had commented on it. But then when I looked at my post, some of my comments weren't there! If it hadn't been for your post, I may not have known that I missed part of my comments. Thanks. I agree coleus are so pretty!

djacobz, do try the Island Breeze in more sun sometime. The coloring of the leaves will be brighter. Mine only gets a minimum amount of sun. I'd like it to get more, but there is no more room in the garden where there is more sun unfortunately.

I screwed up with my post above. I had put it in word pad so not to lose it. When I cut and pasted it, I missed some of it. Here is the part that should have appeared along with the post above:

Saija, I think if I were a hosta, I would like to grow in your garden. That's because I would have as much room as I would like to grow and you keep your garden very neat with mulch. Your coleus look lovely. I really like yours and your whole setup.

I have developed a love for coleus, but have been frustrated with the limited varieties available here. I can't even find a place that sells seeds other than the more common seeds. Oh well. I'll have to look again in spring.

Peren.all your Independence is really nice. The white edges make the hosta stand out.

ConnieMay, you now have three Ice Age Trails! How wonderful!

Inniswood is a beauty kathy!

4 years ago

And as for the "like" button----I use an old laptop in Chrome. My like button wasn't working for a while, but now it is. I think the fact that the button isn't working is a Houzz problem because I didn't do anything different to make it start working again.

• Saija_Finland
    4 years ago

Newhostalady: Thank you. I have gone nuts with coleus last winter, LOL. We have not either many varietes in Finland. In Sweden coleus is big thing and there are many coleus lovers. I'm in Swedish facebook coleus group and I have bought seeds and cuttings from Sweden. It's nice hobby while waiting spring and hostas to emerge ( so late compared many here).

Todays task is now after work to plant these cuttings :)

Saija

4 years ago

Saija..I love your coleus..your latest picture makes me so anxious for summer to come :-)

4 years ago

Saija, your coleus are beautiful! You have given me an idea! Maybe I can find a source for coleus on facebook! I will try.

4 years ago

newhostalady that would be wonderful if you could find sources for coleus. The selection is limited at nurseries.

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

'Irish Luck' outgrowing everything!

and some of my favorite coleus from last year.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

StevePA, what is the little yellow hosta in front of the Irish Luck bed?

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Nice pics, StevePA! How old are those grass clumps?

• beverlymnz4
    4 years ago

OOps I do have an "I" hosta, and its going to be a big one:

Icy Halo

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

dj, that's a second year 'Apple Candy' in front, so bright in the spring it's hard to get a pic without the washout effect. Anxious to see if it leaps this year.

zkathy, I believe those hakones are at least 5 yrs old. They seem to grow very well for me in my heavy, dryish, clayish, soil.

Nice 'Icy Halo' beverly, hope my newbie grows as nice.

4 years ago

Beverly I love your clematis idea, I might try it this summer.

Steve your Irish Luck looks amazing, I love the shine.

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    4 years ago

My "I" host is Ivory Queen.