Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smillyy

My Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree is Dying - PLEASE HELP

CK
4 years ago

Had it for a year. Over the last 3 months it's been slowly developing these brown spots that are drying out the leaves.

A total of 6 leaves have fallen off and Im sure more will follow.

All the leaves that have fallen off have a brown stem.

Other leaves have stems that are turning brown that I think will fall off soon.

HOW I CARE FOR IT

• Water once a week
  • About 2 cups of water (in the pics attached, tree hasn't been watered in about 7 days)
  • Pot has drainage built into it
  • Plant is in indirect sunlight
  • Air in condo is dry so started recently misting leaves every 3 days

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Mo

Comments (2)

• HU-923292484
    3 years ago

Добрый день. Вашему фикусу не хватает света!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    2 years ago

HOW I CARE FOR IT

• Water once a week Plants should be watered on an 'as needed' basis. Watering on a schedule practically guarantees you'll either be under-watering or over-watering.
    • About 2 cups of water (in the pics attached, tree hasn't been watered in about 7 days) 2 cups is definitely not enough for a plant with that much top mass.
    • Pot has drainage built into it. That might seem like a good idea from the grower's perspective, but from the plant's perspective it's decidedly not. The main reason is, that set-up ensures ALL dissolved solids (salts) from fertilizer solutions and tapwater remain in the soil where they eventually build to such high concentrations they can actually reverse osmosis and pull water from plant cells by the same mechanism curing salts pull water from bacon/ jerky. Best to separate the saucer from the pot and use it as a collection saucer. The plant's pot should be set above the bottom of the saucer so salts in the effluent that exits the drain hole(s) have no pathway by which they can make way back into the grow medium.
    • Plant is in indirect sunlight While the plant is listed as preferring low to medium light, it spends it's juvenile years fighting its way through the canopy to a full sun position. Windows and walls reduce indoor light levels to a small fraction of what the tree gets where it occurs naturally, so it will take the brightest indoor location if there is a fan in the room and the room temp stays below about 90*F. It's not the light load that gets them, it's not being properly acclimated to a full sun position OR not having air movement to help reduce the build-up of heat in the leaves that occurs from passive solar gain.
    • Air in condo is dry so started recently misting leaves every 3 days Misting raises the humidity in the immediate area of the plant for about 10 minutes. What about the other 1,430 minutes in a day? Misting is a very ineffectual way to raise humidity. If you want to raise humidity, you'll need a humidifier. I make my own room-size humidifiers for plants using an ultrasonic mister, a small fan, and an inexpensive storage container.

Al