Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_m37

Black Amaryllis Bulb Normal?

Denise M
4 years ago

I am recently new to amaryllis bulbs. I just got three of them and two look normal but the other has turned red and is now turning black. The bulb feels firm and there is a flower that is growing and another flower that is just starting to show but I am just concerned about the color of the bulb. As I said, I am new to amaryllis so I am not sure if some bulbs turn black while others turn brown. Has anyone had this happen before? Below are pictures of how it looked when I first got it and then how it looks now. Is this just the normal process of the outer layer changing colors like they typically do or could this be something else?

Comments (8)

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. As the plants grow, they shed the outer layers as a dried up paper-y like skin. Sometimes that's happened to mine and I just ignore it. At the end of the warm summer months, as the bulbs begin to go dormant, that's when I'll peel away most of it, leaving only the last.

One thing worth noting is yours need watered. Take the pot and pour more than enough water to flush it out, until it's flowing out from the bottom drainage holes. These plants need a good amount of water, especially while they're in bloom. Your plants' soil looks way too dry.

Denise M thanked Photo Synthesis
  • Denise M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I am new to amaryllis and plants in general. I am still trying to figure out the healthy balance of just enough water, not over or under watered. I had three small amaryllis last year and ended up overwatering them, which attracted a bunch of fungal gnats and destroyed one of the bulbs.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t trying to rot or develop red blotch. So I will continue to care for it and make sure they have plenty of water.

• Denise M
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wow, this makes a lot of sense. Potting correctly and good drainage seems to be the key. That is such a beautiful amaryllis and with offsets! I am only hoping that at least one of mine will grow like that. Thanks for the tips!

I do have another question for you. Have you ever encountered red blotch?, and if so how did you deal with it? I do have another amaryllis (not the one pictured above) that I just noticed has a deep red spot on the stem. Not really sure what it is but I have added pictures below.

Photo of the flower that had the spot

I was going to trim it and have it as a cut flower and just noticed the spot. It carries a little down into the bulb where I cannot really see and I am not quite sure what to do about it.

Very bottom of the stem with red spot and more was left on bulb that I couldn’t cut off

• N D
    4 years ago

I have about 10 Amaryllis (people keep giving them to me for some reason🤣) and Red Blotch was exactly what I thought when I saw your pics. I might isolate that one from the other two. If it is red blotch the others will get it being pitted together.

• Denise M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just an update: This bulb ended up putting up a very beautiful stalk with 4 flowers and was on it’s way to putting up another (photos below). That’s when I noticed mushy black leaves coming up in the center. So I cut them out and found way more decay and mush in the middle and an overwhelming rotten odor. I have been doing some reading and wondered if it could have been the NBF but I didn’t have the heart to cut through the middle to see. I love plants but get very squeamish with bugs. The stalks and flowers looked fine and so did the bulb (under the black it looked green and healthy) and roots. I ended up throwing it away. I just think it’s a shame that I bought it with decay in it. I remember seeing nothing but brown leaves coming up in the beginning and thought I noticed a faint rotten scent for a second but thought it was just the decayed leaves from dormancy moving out of the waY because the bulb looked so healthy. It has taught me to be more careful about examining bulbs when I buy and before I plant them.

Flower stalk #1

Stalk #2 starting to come up and black decay in center of bulb

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Denise, so sorry about your bulb. It does sound/look like it had started to rot (who knows why at this point) when you bought it. Don't feel too bad as it happens to all of us from time to time. The main thing is you got to see how beautiful our hippeastrum/amaryllis are and can't wait to buy another one :). Like they say, when you fall off a bike/horse you should get back on and when you lose a plant you should buy a few more lol at least that's the motto around here.

Denise M thanked jstropic (10a)
  • Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's worth pointing out (I should've mentioned this in my previous post) that my amaryllis bulbs are grown outdoors. When they're grown outdoors, the care given to them differs than that of plants grown indoors. But this difference is only miniscule and very simple. The point I'm trying to make is that with plants grown outdoors, you don't have to worry about getting the leaves wet. However, with plants grown indoors, it's best to avoid getting any water down in the crevices of the leaves where they emerge from the bulbs. This is the only difference that you have to watch out for. Everything else still remains the same. This advice holds true for any plants being grown indoors. This is because plants being grown indoors don't benefit from the natural defenses that outdoor plants get from the Sun. Plants grown outdoors get bathed in not only just visible sunlight, but infrared and ultraviolet sunlight as well. Ultraviolet sunlight kills off any pathogenic bacteria and/or fungi that could otherwise harm a plant. Plants grown indoors don't get exposed to these ultraviolet rays. This is why it's best to avoid getting their leaves wet, because harmful fungi or bacteria can begin to grow and cause your plants to rot. This is why you will hear from other people that when you move plants outdoors, it's best to move them into the shade first and gradually move them out into more sunlight over time. Plants need sufficient time to adjust to not only brighter sunlight, but the ultraviolet sunlight as well. It's this exposure to ultraviolet rays that can cause sunburns.

From the looks of it, it appears that you were properly watering your plants. Otherwise, all of them would be suffering from rot, instead of just the one. Don't let this deter you from growing these beautiful plants. Like you said, it was probably doomed from the beginning, seeing as how you could smell a bit of rot early on. Every grower in here has killed more than our fair share of plants. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and buy yourself another.

As for mine, they've been overwintering in my unheated garage. I noticed the other day that they're just now beginning to wake up and send out new growth. I haven't watered them at all during their dormancy. Even after all of these years, it still fascinates me how plants can tell when spring is just around the corner. I even bought one back during christmas time and just let it remain dormant these past months. I quite look forward to seeing what it looks like when it does bloom for me. When it gets warm enough, I'll move them out onto my shaded front porch and let them adjust to growing back outdoors once again, before moving them back into direct sunlight.

Denise M thanked Photo Synthesis
Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions