Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris_bruesehoff

Tv wall in family room- dump the dresser!

Kris Bruesehoff
4 years ago

My original thought for this wall isnt going to work out ( in another post “do I want a repurposed workbench”. Now considering new options for something for this exterior wall with our tv. and could use more suggestions.

We are thinking of adding an inset electric fireplace ( but would want to build something to house it as we are in cold climate and don’t want to lose the insulation). The dresser is temporary as we needed something to house the cable box. TV will be lowered when we can find an alternative. Also considering lighting if any for this wall, and draperies for the side window and sliding door.

I’d love ideas for what to do.

here is the rest of the room for reference.

Comments (29)

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the bar area. Would we want to do something with this style and wood finish?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It’s a pretty room and I love your furniture. Maybe it’s just the lighting, but it looks like the wall color is fighting every other color in the room.

I’m not sure a fireplace would look appropriate on that wall - are you looking at a long, low flush-to-the-wall model? Because that looks like a circulation pathway there and a big one would be in the way.

edited to add: doggie wants in. 🐕

Kris Bruesehoff thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • badabing2
    4 years ago

https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av-cabinets/synergy-model-337/

Hide the audio gear & wires, keep TV eye level. BestBuy sells 'em.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked badabing2
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

I was thinking of building a slim bump out that would hide the wires and allow us to do an insert electric fireplace, maybe in the style/finish of the bar. BeverlyFLADeziner, I do like the simplicity of the wall hung cabinet .

This pic is much bigger scale than what our wall would handle but something smaller and simpler?

Penthouse Trafalgar One · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I don't think that will work between the two windows, and it's easy to hide any wires in your existing walls.

Perhaps it would be better if your furnishings were flipped so the TV was on the long wall?

Kris Bruesehoff thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Little Bug
    4 years ago

Maybe, on a much smaller scale. Trimmed out in oak like your existing bar would be great.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked Little Bug
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the mock up...

I was thinking there would be some wall space on either side... and less modern style and of course whole reason for doing this would be to have the fireplace insert. I can’t find any pictures that look like what I was thinking - maybe because it’s a bad idea?

Unfortunately we can’t flip the furniture because of the cutouts on the opposite wall.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Something like this but in the light maple finish?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would this look odd over carpet?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To keep the tv at the Recommended level we could do without a mantle if we really don’t need the cable box.

• Alan S
    4 years ago
    Kris Bruesehoff thanked Alan S
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good idea Alan!

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m still interested in any ideas for what would look good under the tv that would work with the style of the bar (possibly with electric inset fireplace) . We can lower the tv when we determine what will go under it And if need be revisit the adjustable mount.

• cubby14
    4 years ago

I'm thinking that will not look right on the carpet.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked cubby14
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

I don't think the fireplace is going to look right in that spot - the proportions are off. I would use a long, low console table under the TV. Look for a darker stained finish similar to your dresser so you have some contrast with the tan carpet and furniture. You can likely move the dresser to one of the sofa ends to act as an end table. For drapes, it would be ideal to mount a rod across the sliders, extended further on each outside end, and stack the draperies on each outside end of the doorways, like this example. I can't tell from your photo if you have room to do that.

Crutchfield Residence · More Info

Kris Bruesehoff thanked calidesign
  • acm
    4 years ago

What would look good under the TV is a console designed for the purpose, at least 50% longer than the TV width, and probably of a lighter material (wood or something about the trim color). It's not that hard.

Monarch Euro Style TV Console in White · More Info

Parker House Tidewater 84" TV Console, Vintage White TID#84 · More Info

Emerald Home Nova Tv Console Wood With 2 Doors · More Info

PCHseries Entertainment Shelf · More Info

60" Mid Century Modern TV Console With Glass Shelf, Pecan · More Info

Modern Low Walnut & White Tv Stand Console · More Info

Ikea can be a surprisingly good source of such things!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Acm. Thank you for posting tv consoles... I Don’t think any of them look good with the bar we have or our woodwork unfortunatly. Our house is not “modern“ and we do have large furniture so need something that fits that as well. Tv measures 56 inches across and wall is 100 inches between the windows.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

calidesign- thank you for the drapery suggestion. Yes there is plenty of room onthe outside of the window and slider. The slider actually opens to that side- was thinking that might be awkward with the dogs coming in and out that door, but if we extend them far enough like you suggested then it should work.

when you say the proportions are off for the fireplace — is there a size you’d recommend? Or is concept of doing a fireplace wrong?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I just think electric fireplaces don't look very good in general, and having something permanent sticking out into the small space between the two windows/doors would look odd. Look at the two mockups that Beverly did showing the tv with a low console and the full wall fireplace. The sliders need room around them.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My husband really likes the idea of a fireplace....the outside wall is onto our lower level patio, with enclosed deck above. Any suggestions as to good options for adding a fireplace? Are all the electric ones too fake?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

What about adding a fireplace or fire pit to your patio area outside, instead?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We do have one on the Patio. Winter months we don’t use it though.. and that’s when we spend the most time in this room.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So trying again.... do you think something clean and simple would be better?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would use for a simple, long, console for under the TV. You can look for one in a white painted finish to match your trim so it doesn't clash with your lighter woods in the room. You can find them in transitional or more traditional styles if you don't want something too modern. I would also use two end tables for your sofa, with table lamps, which will warm up the space and give you a cozier feel without adding a fireplace.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I suppose I should have asked if there was any clean and simple Fireplace options? We used our fireplace 5-6 days a week for 5 months out of the year in our last house and we do miss it. Especially on days like today . There are options that would impact the room less than a console so I’m wondering if that might work?

I do agree that end tables and lamps need to be added as soon as I figure out this wall.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

How about a simple linear electric wall mount fireplace? Something like this.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked katinparadise
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Exactly- I like the linear look and this style of flame. We were thinking it should be built in rather than wall mount. Doing something that comes out from the wall a bit would also allow us to easily hide electronic wires.

i Know these tend to look more modern, so I’ve been toying with a mantle or wood trim...and debating on doing either in our trim color, stain to match the bar, or bringing in something more rustic.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions