Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_tourdotsmith

Chuck the Endless Bummers?

I have several large green shrubs with no flowers. I worked diligently last year with adding phosphorous fertilizer and even wintered several of them in my garage Thinking my zone 4a winters were too much for them. Nothing. Has anyone had success?

Comments (11)

• luis_pr
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You may have to if it happens "too often". Lots of people in Z6 and colder have complained in this forum.

The theory -when first sold- was that the new growth would produce blooms in late Summer. But, in practice and in short growing season locations, the stems may take too long to get old enough to develop flower bud and then to open the buds. By that time, it may be late in the growing season... the ESs may start going dormant, getting less sunlight... stuff that is not conducive to blooming; thus, no blooms. Just a guess. Feel free to try one of the smaller Let's Dance Series if you want. They have some that grow 2' and they might be able to grow old enough, quickly enough, before the end of the Summer.

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

Varieties of hydrangea paniculatas are winter and bloom hardy to Zone 3, as most develop flower buds in late Spring or in the Summer. They can also take full sun (morning sun in extremely hot areas like mine though). Just make sure the variety you choose fits in the spot as a few paniculatas get large. Luckily, many of these have new compact versions. Limelight has Little Lime, Quickfire has Little QF, Strawberry Vanilla has Strawberry Sundae, etc.

• rose3
    4 years ago

I’m having good luck with Limelight here in 3a. I DO have to water every other day and daily when it’s hot. They are thirsty plants!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

Annabelle and Limelight are very reliable bloomers here in dry Colorado Zone 5b. I just planted two Quick Fire last Fall. So far it looks like only one may have survived.

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

popmama, the QFs are normally very tough plants. I hope it is just late since it is its first winter outside. But maybe they needed some water and dried out? I guess it could happen. Happened to me when the sprinkler system bit the dust once.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

I'm zone 6..macrophyllas don't bloom for me outside unless heavily protected..I have a potted one that I overwintered in a shed that's going to bloom..check my post about it..I only overwintered it because I didn't get around to planting it for groundcover..I've owned the dumb thing for 15 years!..it was bloomless outside for most of those years..potted it a few years ago..even the pot isn't foolproof..

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

Annabelle and QF do not bloom for you, nicholsworth? Wow!

PS - Oh, wait. That does not look like a leaf of Annabelle or QF in the first picture. They should not be getting "broccoli" yet either. Is that a mophead instead?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

luis..I'll edit that comment..the one above IS a macrophylla..they don't bloom in Indianapolis without lots of protection or overwintering in a covered area..

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

No problem. I originally did not pay close attention to the picture. Then I noticed the broccoli way aaaaafter I had clicked on the Submit Button. Happens when writing comments after midnight. Hee, hee, hee. ;o)

• guyground
    4 years ago

The short answer is yes, chuck it. Replace it with a panicle hydrangea like limelight, or little lime, vanilla strawberry, or strawberry sundae or one of the others. Because they bloom on new wood panicle hydrangeas will reliably bloom in your area.