Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurag22

Cabinet conundrum

laurag22
4 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen, but keeping a similar footprint. We eat dinner in this informal area quite a bit but don’t know what to do with the area where the built in hutch and desk are once they’re removed. We don’t need a desk area but also don’t want to have them both be bar areas. Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

The hutch side is enough to have a couple functions /55 in or so???. tall narrow pantry cab / then counter for coffee with shallow depth cab. Desk side I’d honestly leave unused ... get a vintage bench or chair etc . Is there a purpose u can imagine for the space? Is the hutch definitely going? It maybe isn’t your thing but it has a presence there In a way .

laurag22 thanked herbflavor
  • laurag22
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@herbflavor - great eye, the built in hutch is 60”. The hutch is definitely going because the cabinets need to be replaced, but we do want to keep something similar with storage. Can’t quite figure out that right side. I like your idea and @lindacottonwood’s idea of taking out the built in in the right side and replacing it with something non-cabinet.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

I like HerbFlavor's idea of a coffee/tea center or even a snack center, if it makes sense for you (with the MW). At 60", you could put in flanking 9" wide pull out cabinets with approx 42" between them. The MW could be hanging on a shelf below an upper cabinet.

This would keep someone making tea, hot chocolate, or coffee or snackers out of the Kitchen while you're working in it.

laurag22 thanked Buehl
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Are you replacing your kitchen cabinets or just adding new ones in place of the hutch? I agree that that area would be great for your MW with a counter landing spot and even a beverage fridge under the counter or a freezer drawer. That way people (kids?) could grab a snack /drink and microwave (popcorn e.g) and not be in the main kitchen area or in the way of the cook or dish washer, etc.

Or if you entertain a lot, you could make the left one an actual wet bar (if you are able to put a small sink/prep sink there). You can remove the desk cabinet if you want and just leave it open for a floor plant and art on the wall.

laurag22 thanked Gcubed
  • laurag22
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everything has been demo’d Here’s a better idea of the space.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I would want something like a bookshelf with some closed storage on the right side that could be used for books, decorative objects, less-used dishes, etc..

laurag22 thanked Kristin S