Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
argreen73

coloring of Danby marbles

We have ordered off-white cabinets for the kitchen and I'm planning to do a honed marble countertop. While the color is a standard color from the cabinet company, I compared to my paint deck and it looks to be Sherwin Williams Alabaster. The Carraras I've seen have too gray of an overall look to them, and, while I like the coloring of Calacatta, I don't like the heavy veining. I love the look of Imperial and Olympian Danby marble, but I've only been able to see them online so far. I was hoping someone could tell me if the overall white coloring tends to be a stark white, or is it more of a creamy white? And how do the whites of Olympian vs Imperial compare?

I will look in person before buying, but I'm trying to locate a slab and would like to know which, if either, would work best with my cabinets.

I'd really appreciate any advice on this!

Comments (20)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Danby is definitely warmer toned than Carrara. I don't remember all the nuances of the different sub Danby slabs, like Olympian, Imperial and such. The base is creamy is the veining often in the gold tones. Plus Danby is quite hard compared to other marble.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more specifics for you.

argreen73 (North Florida/Zone 8b) thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO honing marble is a waste if you want something easy to care for just get a factory polished finish.

• argreen73 (North Florida/Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I prefer the look and feel of a honed marble. I'm not really concerned about caring for it at this point, for this question I'm really just concerned with the best color for my cabinets.

• chispa
    4 years ago

When hunting for a stone for a fireplace surround I saw Mystery White marble and Onda Doro marble. They were both a nice warm white with gold/beige light veins.

• argreen73 (North Florida/Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, @chispa. I'll look that one up!

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't think the Danby is going to give you the warmth I think you are looking for when you reference Calacatta. I have something called Creama Delicata which is a creamy white with soft gray and brownish veins. You can also try Calacatto Michaelanagelo which has the colors of Calacatta without the strong veins. First pic is Creama Delicata, second is Michaelangelo. I also prefer a honed finish.

• PRO
    Plazza Natural Stone
    4 years ago

We actually usually recommend a honed finish with marble, especially when it will be in a kitchen. We did a project with VT Montclair Danby recently, but maybe it is a bit too cool with those cabinets though it did look a bit creamier in person.

Montclair Danby Kitchen · More Info

Olympian white classico Danby might be a good bet. If you are near a decent size stone yard I would definitely just start calling and try to find it, and bring a cabinet sample. Good luck! We've had good feedback on VT Danby in general, as it is harder than its Italian counterpart.

• plf12652
    4 years ago

I have had Danby in my kitchen for 9 years....I would not do it again! Why? The veining looks muddy, in my eye, not the crisp veining that Carrera has....or maybe it’s the amount or depth of veining. When I chose this marble I admit that I didn’t have a good understanding of differences in marble as well as differences between marble and granite. And I love to cook and marble definitely etches when there is an acid on it....just the other night my husband juiced an orange, then put the (removable) top of the juicer on the counter, with some orange still on it. Well now there is an etching of the juicer top on the marble! So look at marble carefully! Good luck

• modernfairytale
    2 years ago

plf12652 I'm wondering if you could do it over again what would you choose for your countertops? I am strongly considering Imperial Danby and need to decide soon. Thanks!

• julieste
    2 years ago

plf12652

I am wondering if it is the veining or the etching you object to with your marble.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

I would not do marble again in the kitchen as I don’t like the etching. We moved last year into a new build and I did granite (Taj Mahal) in the kitchen which I love. No etching! Just before we moved when cleaning out our pantry, my husband dropped the glass bottle of vinegar….you guess it, right onto the island marble. Of course the bottle broke, vinegar spilled across the island and there was a river etched into the finish. I was freaked out and thought we would have to pay to get it refinished but we didn’t as the buyers tore down the house to build new! In my new house I have Carrera marble for my master bath countertop and I love the look…it’s a much crisper stone than the Danby that I had, with very distinct veining. The white is whiter than the Danby also. I haven’t had any problems with maintenance but am extremely careful with it. I also have a marble topped powder room vanity that was from Restoration Hardware, so it came as a prefab unit. Some liquid hand soap dripped from the dispenser onto the marble and I didn’t see it for probably a week so when I cleaned it up it left a “grease” spot on the marble. I cleaned that with a mild ammonia solution which worked pretty well….I have also read that a poultice of baking soda and water left overnight will draw out a stain like that. Marble is finicky! If you don’t mind the etching, and there are lots of posters here who don’t, then it’s a beautiful, classic look.

• PRO
    ssss
    2 years ago

Beautiful

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

Gorgeous - love the Serena and Lily counter stools as well.

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

Thanks @Design Girl! They were out of my budget, but I was so fortunate to find them on FB Marketplace in exactly the color and amount I wanted!

• PRO
    Haute Shoppe Studio
    2 years ago

Love the softer veining of Danby,!

• tadria_ciaglo86
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Keshet Starr your kitchen is beautiful! What white did you use on the cabients?

• Debbie Klausing
    last year

Keshet Starr, your marble is beautiful! Also love the color of your island cabinets. Do you mind sharing name of the color?

• zelda18
    last year

I have Montclair Danby marble. I feel if you are choosing this tone (gray) choose the first selection it has the whitest background. I could not use any cream under tone due to the paint colors in the rest of my home. Our children are grown so marble is not a problem. I have very large cutting boards white on either side of sink to make salad dressing or cutting fruits . Our kitchen is 8 years old and it has the shiny marble with chandelier and people love it. You have to decide how you are with things. My friend has Carrara and really liked hers and it is pretty but flips over my kitchen but my marble would not look right with her home and paint and upholstery colors. It really is a personal choice Cabinets are Chantilly Lace BM.

• jen south
    4 days ago

zelda18 please share photos of your kitchen! CL cabinets w Danby Olympian White is one possible choice but I keep hearing I will regret using the creamy marble on top of such bright white...