Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowgirlatheartoh

Let pups make fuller plant?

Sarah Campbell
4 years ago

Is is strictly preference to let pups grow where they are or separate them from mother? I just purchased my first snake plant a month ago. Repotted it right away. Within 1 week it had new growth extending taller leaves. 2 weeks I noticed 1 pup. Now there’s 2 pups :) I’m limited in space with my south facing window light and would prefer to leave them all together as one full plant. But, I don’t want it to hinder the mother?! Can you share your experience?

Also.. there was not a tag and would you know the specific type of snake I have?

Comments (14)

• christine 5b
    4 years ago

I also let mine fill up the pot, makes a much better display, as shown by hc mcdole

hc mcdole yours are beautiful

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sarah, I think that your plant would do much better with a different container. So just send it to me; I'll be happy to take it off your hands. 😼

P.S. Edited to add that your plant appears to be a Sansevieria trifasciata cv. Hahnii

variety of some kind, perhaps variegata.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

Can't tell way kind of soil you used. Pls consider for next repot, to add some Perlite or Pumice at least 30-40% to ensure fast drainage. Combining equal parts of soil & Perlite can make it even easier.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

It's really a choice of aesthetics at this point, but I'd let those Sansevieria cv. 'Golden Hahnii' (if that's really a published name, and I'm not sure about the ID anyway) pups grow for a few more months - the older they are, the better chance they're going to grow well on their own.

Sarah Campbell thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hc mcdole yours are beautiful!

rhizo_1 haha I’ve grown quite fond of it already. Obsessively kinda 😂. But if it keeps up at this rate, I’ll have plenty to share in due time.

Karen S. I used straight cactus mix soil. I will definitely mix in some perlite next time. Thanks for the tip!

thanks for the identity and tips!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your plant is in the Sanseveria trifasciata futura group. "Futura Superba" Grows about 15 inches in time and has the wide leaves. San. tri. hahnii "Gold Hahnii" looks like this;

Picture of Futura Superba;

Your pot is a poor choice due to in time it will be very hard to remove the pant due to that lip. Also does the pot have a drain hole?

Soil used depends on how and where your growing your plant. Myself I have switched to a more organic mix with little to no perlite and been experiencing great results. Temperature is the biggest demise of these plants.

My plants seem to be much happier and healthier when kept together. If I do remove pups, I wait till they are a year old and only to give away. Other wise they look better and are better kept together.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    4 years ago

Hi, everyone. We all have our preferences, right? I allow mine to grow together until they begin to look crowded. Then I separate my plants. Wait until the pups are half the height or almost as tall as its mom. I love the clean look one plant in the center of the pot. I always keep the original mother plant and at least one pup, just in case. All the other pups get new homes. I love being able to give away plants whenever people come by to visit ... They love it also.

All the best!

Maria Elena

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    4 years ago

Sarah, I just found this on Wiki ... very relevant to this conversation:

The flowers of former Sansevieria species are usually greenish-white, also rose, lilac-red, brownish, produced on a simple or branched raceme. ... The raceme is derived from the apical meristem, and a flowered shoot will no longer produce new leaves. Unlike plants such as agave which die after flowering, a bloomed shoot will simply cease to produce new leaves. The flowered shoot continues to grow by producing plantlets via its rhizomes or stolons.

I believe this makes a great argument for separating the pups (when appropriate) from the mom so she can have room to continue to produce more.

Maria Elena

4 years ago

Yes and no. Just like Agave the Sans will die (stop growing). Just takes several years to do so. Any cut leaf will continue to root and make a new plant (unlike Agave). Just like the Agave, the Sans will make new pups from dying main. Must need to note not all Sans will develop a flower stock. Most if not all hahnii will not flower and most futura does not flower. My Asahi which I had over 10 years has never produced a flower and continues to stack. It has more leaves than you can count. If no mishap happens to hahnii, they will stack to the ceiling. I saw one common hahnii which was over 4 feet tall with thousands of leaves. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

There is one Sans which produce a flower stock from the roots so in this case, no main stock needs to stop it's growing cycle.

• Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I made sure to drill a large drain hole in the pot before I planted. But I did not think about the rim 🙈. I really don’t want to disturb it right now, bcuz I just repotted it from the store pot. Sounds like I may have to break the pot when the time comes. Dern it.

I keep reading mixed info on the height a futura can reach. Half say 24” and half say up to 4 feet.

Im a little confused on the info of the mother plant dying or no longer growing new leaves, due to offshoots. Will this not be a problem if they’re separated in about a year? Or will it happen regardless? Forgive me.. I’m new to all of this. I know that most cacti will eventually die once they make babies, regardless of if you separate them or not. Wondering if the same holds true for my futura.

• hc mcdole
    4 years ago

Be aware that Sansevieria is a fairly robust grower and can/will break clay and ceramic pots. It can also stretch plastic pots to the breaking point as well.

Maybe there was a weak point on these pots and the roots completed the breakage.

I find the S. cylindrica can be a bit floppy so now I cut off the wayward blades for bringing back indoors.

4 years ago

Sarah, I have a couple of Sans. futura Asahi that I remove pups off every year. They are stacking and have many leaves. Never bloom so they stack. Weather I leave the pups on or off has nothing to do with how long the plant lives. If they bloom, then that growing node or main stem is done with it's growing cycle and some day will die. It is then triggered to start producing pups. Same thing happens when main growing point is removed in center of plant. Plants that grow beyond the 16 inch level then is no longer in the Futura class. Same as hahnii getting beyond the 6 inch. But they do get taller in very long time. Older well grown plants.

Sarah Campbell thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • the house plants
    3 months ago

I always let the snake plant pups grow and then remove them from the plant, let them grow to about 1.5-2 inches and then remove them from the parent plant.