Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganashley202

I need help with exterior paint colors

Meg
4 years ago

Im struggling with choosing an exterior paint color. House is a small single story stucco house. Front door will be BM wythe blue. Trim and garage will be white. I want grey. Not to light, not to dark. No purple tones. I like blue tones. Roof is brown. Ive tried 8 colors and I'm not loving anything. My favorite is African Grey but I'm afraid it will be to dark and look funny in my neighborhood of light grey and beige houses. Will it look lighter once its painted? Advice and color suggestions please

Comments (9)

• Meg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the current house color

• chloebud
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Take your roof color into consideration when deciding. A warm, brown roof can clash with a cool siding color. Think about painting the garage door the same color as the siding since it's in front. A white garage door in front can pull a lot of focus, unless the siding is also white. You want your front entry area to be more of a focal point.

If it appeals to you, a gray-green (sage) can often work with your roof color. A soft white for the trim would be nice. This siding color in this photo is Ben Moore's Saybrook Sage.

• Meg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the top colors I’m considering so far. I’ve seen quite a few blue grey houses is the area with brown roofs and I don’t think it looks bad. I’m more concerned about to dark or to light. I’ll attach a house for sale in my area that I think looks great. It has a brown roof and blue grey paint

• chloebud
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It can be hard to tell for sure on a computer screen. Does the for sale house you posted have the same color brown roof as yours? In the photo of your house, the roof looks like it has more of a rust undertone on my screen...? The color scheme they chose for the house being sold is nice, but even nicer with a gray or charcoal roof. I like both grays you show from Sherwin Wms., but note the roof color of the house. However, it's really personal preference and what looks good to your eye.

As for too light or too dark, you need to test colors on the exterior of your house to decide. Sometimes colors can look lighter in daylight.

• Meg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The house being sold does have the same color roof. It does however have a dark trim.

• Meg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Better view of my roof

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Good to know your roof is the same color as the house being sold. It appears more of a neutral brown on my screen. Red or rust undertones in roofs can be challenging. Still, with a brown roof I'd be tempted to look at warm grays for the siding.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Just saw your latest roof photo that leans warm on my screen. Maybe just keep that in mind when looking at siding choices.